Old 17-09-2007, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Brussel Sprouts

"John Vanini" wrote in message

Now, before anyone has a go at me because of the wide spaces between
paragraphs, let me say now that I will check before posting, in future.
The problem seems to be that I prepare the post using MS Word to ensure
that the English is a s good as I can make it and that the spelling is
correct.

Why do that John? I notice from doing a Properties check on your post
that you use Microsoft Outlook Express Version 6 and that has a spell
checker function.

Besides, none of us always produce perfect posts anyway, so the occasional
mistake will be forgiven.

Yes, you're absolutely right! It's just that I prefer MS Word and have been
trying to avoid comment!

Regards,

John

Old 17-09-2007, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote in message

Yes, you're absolutely right! It's just that I prefer MS Word and have
been trying to avoid comment!

Regards,

John

John. Take it from me. ""SOMEONE"" will ALWAYS make comment on your postings
:-((

They have nothing better to do. ""THEY"" are perfect.
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
In their eyes. :-((((

Sit back and watch the flak fired at me now and you will see JUST what I
mean :-((

Kindest possible regards

Mike
Over to you Net Nannies

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 17-09-2007, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

No, to be honest, I've taken as much criticism as I am going to take What
is written in the post is more important than how it is written.

I will NOT post at the bottom for the reasons I gave - I don't see why I
should trawl down a long list of previous posts to find the sole comment -
"I agree" and there are many others who top-post, which makes more sense.

If there is someone who is measuring the spaces between paragraphs (as there
is) then they, obviously, need something to do.

I enjoyed my time discussing gardening and I probably gave more advice to
others than I received. I owe no one an apology!

I'm sorry, Uncle Marvo, you (and there are several others whose opinion and
suggestions I respect - Sally in Shropshire, Bob, David (Normandy), Robert
(Plymouth) and some others) but enough is enough and the moment I finish
this post, I shall unsubscribe. I'm wasting my time.

I wanted intelligent discussions on gardening, I wanted to learn more, to
educate myself - not lectures on how to write a post!

I apologise, again, to you, Uncle Marvo, as I don't wish to offend you but
yours was the final straw though I was already wondering why I was
bothering!

Regards,

John

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

Yes, Bob, indeed it does but I prefer to use MS Word. All that I have
to remember to do is remove the unwanted spaces!

And post at the bottom ....

:-)

Old 17-09-2007, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

"""Net Nannies Rule"""

Happy Now?

What a sad lot you really are

Mike

Old 17-09-2007, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote
I was told that if Brussel sprouts are planted or sown in loose soil the
sprouts will not be tight but will be very open leaved and useless as
sprouts.
I've always ignored this and never bothered with tamping down the soil
but, this year, I had to pull up and throw away my row of sprouts because
they were so open leaved as to be useless.
Luckily, I planted a row of a later variety of Brussel sprout plants
sometime after I had the problem, still in loose soil, and these look
fine.
What I've was told seems to be true, however, but has anyone else more
experience of the problem and could it be caused by something else?
I'd be pleased to hear anyone else's experience as I can't see how the
firmness of the soil relates to the firmness of the sprouts.

With silt/clay soil we never have a problem with loose soil, a good raining
on and it will set hard. That said, this year we too have a few sprouts that
have "blown" at the bottom of plants, must be the weather. Also noticed that
our "Icarus" sprout plants haven't grown like they normally do, look
healthy, just small and somehow not right. The Trafalgar plants are as
robust as usual.

Regarding the criticism of your posting methods, don't worry about it, same
happened to me years ago when I first started posting to Newsgroups. It's
just people want consistency to make the job of reading easy. I think all
the childish troll stuff is having an effect on posters too.
There are a lot of very knowledgeable/experienced gardeners here amongst
some others, time will enable you to see who is who. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-09-2007, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote in message
I was told that if Brussel sprouts are planted or sown in loose soil the
sprouts will not be tight but will be very open leaved and useless as
sprouts.
I've always ignored this and never bothered with tamping down the soil
but, this year, I had to pull up and throw away my row of sprouts because
they were so open leaved as to be useless.
Luckily, I planted a row of a later variety of Brussel sprout plants
sometime after I had the problem, still in loose soil, and these look
fine.
What I've was told seems to be true, however, but has anyone else more
experience of the problem and could it be caused by something else?
I'd be pleased to hear anyone else's experience as I can't see how the
firmness of the soil relates to the firmness of the sprouts.

Neither can I, but here in North Wilts that's what they say down the
allotments. Especially the old guy who has an allotment next to ours, he
says you have to stamp the soil down to get small brussels heads. Who knows,
maybe there is something in it. If I were you, I'd take peoples' advice and
put the boot in as and when you're planting them.

We've never had much luck with brussels, so we go for Cavolo nero instead.

someone

Old 18-09-2007, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Don't go, John!

I love your posts.

(see, I even put this at the top :-)

Unc

, I, Marvo, say :

Old 18-09-2007, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Uncle Marvo writes
Don't go, John!

I love your posts.

(see, I even put this at the top :-)

Reasons for not top posting

1) not the convention in this ng

2) Many posts here include multiple points. It's clearer if each point
is answered where it's made, and not in a lump at the top. Long posts
with a reply at the top mean a lot of moving up and down the screen to
see exactly what each answer referred to

3) This newsreader, and I presume others, allow you to read posts
simply by hitting space bar, which takes you to next screen, next post,
one!), so one usually has to page down several pages of historical posts
left hanging at the bottom.

Unc

, I, Marvo, say :

________________________________________________ _______________________
_________________

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

Yes, Bob, indeed it does but I prefer to use MS Word. All that I
have to remember to do is remove the unwanted spaces!

And post at the bottom ....

:-)

--
Kay
Old 18-09-2007, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I stand corrected.

Old 18-09-2007, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

John Vanini wrote:
No, to be honest, I've taken as much criticism as I am going to take What
is written in the post is more important than how it is written.

Hmm. Well, that depends. Certainly what you've written here is more
important that how you wrote it. "I'm doing this and yah boo sucks to good
manners". Well done.

--
Posting at the top of an article because that is where your cursor
happened to be is like crapping in your pants because that is

Old 18-09-2007, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tuesday 18th September 2007

Me too! Don't go John! Never did this before, starting at the top,
feels strange, nice and neat really. I've put the date on too like a
new page on an exercise book. Shame I can't underline ... I would have
used my new gel pen ....

Seriously!! Superbe idea with the tops of sprouts. Mine are going on
so so well, can't wait to eat them - and will definitely think about a
lil' sag aloo for them )

On 18 Sep, 09:27, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
Don't go, John!
I love your posts.
(see, I even put this at the top :-)

Old 18-09-2007, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Sep, 16:22, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
Can't _underline_ what?

The-date.

Old 18-09-2007, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:22:07 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote and included this (or
some of this):

.com, I, Marvo, say :

Tuesday 18th September 2007

Me too! Don't go John! Never did this before, starting at the top,
feels strange, nice and neat really. I've put the date on too like a
new page on an exercise book. Shame I can't underline ... I would have
used my new gel pen ....

Can't _underline_ what?

Exactly
¯¯¯¯¯

brussel sprouts blooming but no edible sprouts ncstockguy Gardening 2 26-04-2006 04:26 PM
brussel sprouts blooming but no edible sprouts ncstockguy North Carolina 1 20-04-2006 11:45 PM
small green worms on my brussel sprouts I & H Prees Edible Gardening 5 14-07-2004 08:06 PM
brussel sprouts D. Helderman Gardening 5 28-06-2003 03:56 AM
Cause of "dirty" brussel Sprouts John Towill United Kingdom 10 17-12-2002 08:36 PM