Old 17-09-2007, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Brussel Sprouts

I was told that if Brussel sprouts are planted or sown in loose soil the
sprouts will not be tight but will be very open leaved and useless as
sprouts.

I've always ignored this and never bothered with tamping down the soil but,
this year, I had to pull up and throw away my row of sprouts because they
were so open leaved as to be useless.

Luckily, I planted a row of a later variety of Brussel sprout plants
sometime after I had the problem, still in loose soil, and these look fine.

What I've was told seems to be true, however, but has anyone else more
experience of the problem and could it be caused by something else?

I'd be pleased to hear anyone else's experience as I can't see how the
firmness of the soil relates to the firmness of the sprouts.

Regards,

John

Old 17-09-2007, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote in message
I was told that if Brussel sprouts are planted or sown in loose soil the
sprouts will not be tight but will be very open leaved and useless as
sprouts.

I've always ignored this and never bothered with tamping down the soil
but, this year, I had to pull up and throw away my row of sprouts because
they were so open leaved as to be useless.

Luckily, I planted a row of a later variety of Brussel sprout plants
sometime after I had the problem, still in loose soil, and these look
fine.

What I've was told seems to be true, however, but has anyone else more
experience of the problem and could it be caused by something else?

I'd be pleased to hear anyone else's experience as I can't see how the
firmness of the soil relates to the firmness of the sprouts.

Seems your info was right John!

I can't offer any knowledge on why they do that, but what I can tell you is
that if you cook up the sprouts anyway they make wicked Bubble and Squeak!

Old 17-09-2007, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

[...]

and that even the loose sprouts cooked as greens in the normal way taste
good :-))

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 17-09-2007, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

John Vanini wrote:
I was told that if Brussel sprouts are planted or sown in loose soil the
sprouts will not be tight but will be very open leaved and useless as
sprouts.
I've always ignored this and never bothered with tamping down the soil but,
this year, I had to pull up and throw away my row of sprouts because they
were so open leaved as to be useless.

What a waste - sprout tops are wonderfull - almost better than the sprouts
themselves!

I've always understood this too.
Old 17-09-2007, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jim Jackson" wrote in message
John Vanini wrote:
I was told that if Brussel sprouts are planted or sown in loose soil the
sprouts will not be tight but will be very open leaved and useless as
sprouts.
I've always ignored this and never bothered with tamping down the soil
but,
this year, I had to pull up and throw away my row of sprouts because they
were so open leaved as to be useless.

What a waste - sprout tops are wonderfull - almost better than the sprouts
themselves!

I've always understood this too.

Yes, the open sprouts or tops are often better than the tight sprouts
themselves. They make an excellent Winter green steamed or stir fried. We
only eat the light green leaves though not the dark green ones as they taste
too strong. They often grow right through into Spring providing an ongoing
source of fresh greens.

David.

Old 17-09-2007, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

We only eat the light green leaves though not the dark green
ones as they taste too strong.

The dark ones are excellent braised with almond slivers. Just in case you
were going to throw them away, also they make a good sub for spinach in a
sag aloo.

Old 17-09-2007, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
I'd be pleased to hear anyone else's experience as I can't see how the
firmness of the soil relates to the firmness of the sprouts.

We always do the famous gardeners' dance on the back of the heels to firm
the ground down for all sprouts and cabbages that need to hearten up. Best
way I find is to clear the previous crop and just hoe the ground rather than
digging it and it is already nice and firm. Why it works is a mystery to me
but , on the whole, it does work. Like the others said though, any greens
that they produce are good especially the tops which are a late winter
treat,not to be missed.

Old 17-09-2007, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

We only eat the light green leaves though not the dark green
ones as they taste too strong.

The dark ones are excellent braised with almond slivers. Just in case you
were going to throw them away, also they make a good sub for spinach in a
sag aloo.

I, normally, use the tops as a straight replacement for cabbage (they seem
to be sweeter) and in bubble & squeak. I have used the sprouts in bubble &
squeak, but, as has been said, these can have too strong a flavour. I, also,
use the leaves of the Purple Sprouting Broccoli as these are very sweet and
a good replacement for cabbage.

Anyway, I've thrown away the loose sprout plants now but I have another five
or six growing, of a diffferent and later variety.

Now, before anyone has a go at me because of the wide spaces between
paragraphs, let me say now that I will check before posting, in future. The
problem seems to be that I prepare the post using MS Word to ensure that the
English is a s good as I can make it and that the spelling is correct.

Thanks,

John

Old 17-09-2007, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 Sep, 13:11, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
remove my other hobby to reply
wrote:
snip

I'd be pleased to hear anyone else's experience as I can't see how the
firmness of the soil relates to the firmness of the sprouts.

We always do the famous gardeners' dance on the back of the heels to firm
the ground down for all sprouts and cabbages that need to hearten up. Best
way I find is to clear the previous crop and just hoe the ground rather than
digging it and it is already nice and firm. Why it works is a mystery to me
but , on the whole, it does work. Like the others said though, any greens
that they produce are good especially the tops which are a late winter
treat,not to be missed.

Raises the interesting thought on how do the commercial growers
achieve this ?

Mental picture of them hiring in the army and getting a battalion of
squaddies to march up and down the fields !

Or do they roll first and somehow plant through the hard surface ?

Rob

Old 17-09-2007, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote ((SNIP))
Now, before anyone has a go at me because of the wide spaces between
paragraphs, let me say now that I will check before posting, in future.
The problem seems to be that I prepare the post using MS Word to ensure
that the English is a s good as I can make it and that the spelling is
correct.

John, you use Outlook Express 6 and that has a spell checker anyway.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-09-2007, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote in message

Now, before anyone has a go at me because of the wide spaces between
paragraphs, let me say now that I will check before posting, in future.
The problem seems to be that I prepare the post using MS Word to ensure
that the English is a s good as I can make it and that the spelling is
correct.

Why do that John? I notice from doing a Properties check on your post that
you use Microsoft Outlook Express Version 6 and that has a spell checker
function.

Besides, none of us always produce perfect posts anyway, so the occasional
mistake will be forgiven.

Old 17-09-2007, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yes, Bob, indeed it does but I prefer to use MS Word. All that I have to
remember to do is remove the unwanted spaces!

Thanks and regards,

John.

"John Vanini" wrote ((SNIP))

Old 17-09-2007, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Yes, Bob, indeed it does but I prefer to use MS Word. All that I have
to remember to do is remove the unwanted spaces!

And post at the bottom ....

:-)

Old 17-09-2007, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rob G" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 17 Sep, 13:11, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
remove my other hobby to reply
wrote:
snip

[...]

Thanks Rob,

Exactly what I was discussing only about an hour ago! I don't know how they
do it but I had a mental picture of a farmer walking all over his field,
stamping on the ground before sowing! I don't think so! I assume that they
plough the field well before sowing time and then let the ground settle.

It was, I thought, just an interesting question because the allotment holder
next door to me always shuffles and stamps his way slowly along the rows
where the sprouts are to be planted and it was he who told me why he did it.
I laughed but this year mine were all extremely loose-leaved and his are
nice and tight sprouts!

I was hoping to tell him the "real" reason for my problem in order to score
a point because he's a very nice chap but one of those who knows
everything - a bit like a character in a TV programme I saw many years
ago - I'm sure someone will remember it!

Regards

John

Old 17-09-2007, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Net nanny :-(((((((

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.
www.rneba.org.uk to find your ex-Greenie mess mates

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

Yes, Bob, indeed it does but I prefer to use MS Word. All that I have
to remember to do is remove the unwanted spaces!

And post at the bottom ....

:-)

brussel sprouts blooming but no edible sprouts ncstockguy Gardening 2 26-04-2006 04:26 PM
brussel sprouts blooming but no edible sprouts ncstockguy North Carolina 1 20-04-2006 11:45 PM
small green worms on my brussel sprouts I & H Prees Edible Gardening 5 14-07-2004 08:06 PM
brussel sprouts D. Helderman Gardening 5 28-06-2003 03:56 AM
Cause of "dirty" brussel Sprouts John Towill United Kingdom 10 17-12-2002 08:36 PM