Old 17-09-2007, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default how does oak react to cutting?

Noticed some oak seedlings growing in a gap in a hedge. If they keep
growing, how will they respond when they eventually become so big that the
hedge-trimmer attacks them ? will this treatment just kill them, or will
they produce new shoots ?

Duncan

Old 18-09-2007, 02:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Duncan
writes
Noticed some oak seedlings growing in a gap in a hedge. If they keep
growing, how will they respond when they eventually become so big that the
hedge-trimmer attacks them ? will this treatment just kill them, or will
they produce new shoots ?

Duncan

Produce new shoots Duncan. I let two grow in my hawthorn hedge, they got
to about 20 foot high and became a pain as |I couldn't rim the hedges
properly and they were heaving up the path along the base of the hedge.

I had them chopped down to 2 foot but they make a lot of shoots every
year and don't seem to be going away!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 18-09-2007, 07:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Duncan, both sessile and pedunculate oak are relatively common
constituents of old hedgerows and easily adapt the extreme trimming
applied by farmers. They produce lots of growth when hard pruned and
can remain as hedge occupants for many decades. Many ancient
hedgerows here in Devon have sessile oak that have been there for well
over a century and yet are barely 1.5m high! No need to worry about
them succeeding as fillers for your hedge.

Old 18-09-2007, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Sep, 07:07, Dave Poole wrote:
Duncan, both sessile and pedunculate oak are relatively common
constituents of old hedgerows and easily adapt the extreme trimming
applied by farmers. |snip\

There was a TV programme about an ancient oak tree about a year ago.
It showed the life of such a tree over a period of about 1,000yrs. It
seems that oak can sit comfortably in the hedgerow for hundreds of
years, awaiting their chance to grow to mature height as soon as the
hedgerow is removed.

Chhers
Compo

Old 18-09-2007, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 02:17:15 -0700, Compo
wrote:

On 18 Sep, 07:07, Dave Poole wrote:
Duncan, both sessile and pedunculate oak are relatively common
constituents of old hedgerows and easily adapt the extreme trimming
applied by farmers. |snip\

There was a TV programme about an ancient oak tree about a year ago.
It showed the life of such a tree over a period of about 1,000yrs. It
seems that oak can sit comfortably in the hedgerow for hundreds of
years, awaiting their chance to grow to mature height as soon as the
hedgerow is removed.

There have been two oak trees growing in a bowl in my garden. It's
were a neighbours kid planted some acorns about ten years ago. They
look very healthy. I dare not plant them in the ground, there's not
enough space for even two small trees.

Steve

--
Stephen Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

http://www.easynn.com

Old 18-09-2007, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Thanks - looks like the oaks will be staying put!

Duncan