Old 19-09-2007, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting density - new herbaceous border

Can anyone point me in the direction of information on planting up an
herbaceous border? a.g. No plants per square metre? Its 20m x 1m approx.
Also any good websites on Herbaceous Border design??

Old 19-09-2007, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Trevor" wrote in message
om...
Can anyone point me in the direction of information on planting up an
herbaceous border? a.g. No plants per square metre? Its 20m x 1m

approx.

First of all you need to decide on which plants you wish to grow, then
determine their eventual spread and plant accordingly.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/design/design6.asp
http://tinyurl.com/2lv76r

Also any good websites on Herbaceous Border design??

http://tinyurl.com/2xtsmd

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 19-09-2007, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Sep, 08:50, "Trevor"
wrote:
Can anyone point me in the direction of information on planting up an
herbaceous border? a.g. No plants per square metre? Its 20m x 1m approx.
Also any good websites on Herbaceous Border design??

Bonjour Trevor! I think you need me ... in about 10 months time ;o)
Emery gave you some good sites there. If you do this or think you're
going to do designs on a regular basis, I would advise on two books
that has given me lots of ideas (as well as visiting gardens etc.) is
the Garden Planning by John Brookes (my fav) and the Garden Design
Bible by Tim Newbury. Amongst others, if you're flushed you could add
the Ultimate Garden Designer by Tim Newbury.

What they all say about herbaceous borders is this: It is impossible
to be precise about planting distances for perennials. Some such as
globe artichokes gorw to about 1m across, while others hardly spread
at all. As a general guideline to how many of each plant you need in a
border, calculate five to every square meter/yard. Make your selection
by shape as well as colour.

Are you in France now?!

Old 19-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Can anyone point me in the direction of information on planting up an
herbaceous border? a.g. No plants per square metre? Its 20m x 1m approx.
Also any good websites on Herbaceous Border design??
I designed and built a large mixed herbaceous border over several years - beginning with the demolition of a WWII Nissen hut to make room for it! The step-by-step descritptive story can be viewed on my web site.
Check out the 'Garden World' subsite, then go to 'Gardening Guides'. Look for 'The Design and Development of a Mixed Herbaceous Flower Border Parts 1 and 2'.
Hope it both helps and inspires.
__________________
www.winsfordwalledgarden.com
Large garden-based website. Gardens open daily (April-October). New Gardening forums
Old 19-09-2007, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 19 Sep, 08:50, "Trevor"
wrote:
[...]

Hi Helene and thanks Emrys

Yes this is for a client, but I don't envisage doing it on a regular basis.
A friend who has recovered from 2 severe bouts of ME that took 8 yrs out of
his life is taking things easy with a bit of part time gardening work, but
isn't too knowledgeable on plants, so I help him out.

Our border is 22m x 1m so a little narrow for herbaceous, but we are
restricted by a wall and an old stone path. She wants Lupins, Delphiniums,
June/July colour and mixed colours, and is happy for me to extend the autumn
colour with helenium, rudbeckia and Echinacea, also some grasses.

We spent August in France and I'm going back on my own in October and again
in November then 2 weeks with the family as Christmas so I'm managing around
10/11 weeks per years.

best wishes

Trevor

Old 19-09-2007, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Trevor" wrote in message
om...
Can anyone point me in the direction of information on planting up an
herbaceous border? a.g. No plants per square metre? Its 20m x 1m

approx.
Also any good websites on Herbaceous Border design??

I answered Trevor's post but it did not show itself in my list of
not been for Trevor acknowledging it. Any ideas as to why it did not
reveal itself to me?

Thanks,
Emrys Davies.

Old 19-09-2007, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
"Trevor" wrote in message
om...
Can anyone point me in the direction of information on planting up

an
herbaceous border? a.g. No plants per square metre? Its 20m x 1m

approx.
Also any good websites on Herbaceous Border design??

I answered Trevor's post but it did not show itself in my list of
not been for Trevor acknowledging it. Any ideas as to why it did not
reveal itself to me?

Thanks,
Emrys Davies.

Incidentally, my last post has revealed itself in the accepted manner.
Maybe because it did not contain enabled links.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 20-09-2007, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Trevor wrote:
Can anyone point me in the direction of information on planting up an
herbaceous border? a.g. No plants per square metre? Its 20m x 1m
approx. Also any good websites on Herbaceous Border design??

As a simple rule of thumb use :

large perennials 60cm
medium 45cm
small 30cm

pk

Old 20-09-2007, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"p.k." wrote in message
Trevor wrote:
Can anyone point me in the direction of information on planting up an
herbaceous border? a.g. No plants per square metre? Its 20m x 1m
approx. Also any good websites on Herbaceous Border design??

As a simple rule of thumb use :

large perennials 60cm
medium 45cm
small 30cm

pk

I'd thought large 3 per sq m med 5 / sq m small 7/sq m - hows that sound??

Old 21-09-2007, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Trevor" wrote in message
om...
Can anyone point me in the direction of information on planting up an
herbaceous border? a.g. No plants per square metre? Its 20m x 1m approx.
Also any good websites on Herbaceous Border design??

I think you can look at the size the plant is expected to grow to and work
it out from there.....
OR plant closer and divide later as they form bigger clumps :~)

Spacing etc : http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1236.html

General info + photo's etc :
http://www.perennialresource.com/ind...on=home.corner
General (nice pictures!) :
http://www.louisianagardener.com/ima...urestories.pdf

Crocus has some good ideas and you can search the site :
http://www.crocus.co.uk/plantingideas/

HTH Jenny

Old 21-09-2007, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the links.

Old 23-09-2007, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 Sep, 07:21, "JennyC" wrote:
Crocus has some good ideas and you can search the site :http://www.crocus..co.uk/plantingideas/

I'd be careful with Crocus - I shop with them and they are brilliant,
but they are very expensive - a 3mx1m bed using 35 plants for £227!!?
That's a bit naughty. Imagine 12 plants per sqm at £6 the plant.
Surely it can be achieve a bit cheaper. The ideas are great, but the
planting calculation a bit ...err commercial ;o)

Old 24-09-2007, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ps.com...
On 21 Sep, 07:21, "JennyC" wrote:
Crocus has some good ideas and you can search the site
:http://www.crocus.co.uk/plantingideas/

I'd be careful with Crocus - I shop with them and they are brilliant,
but they are very expensive - a 3mx1m bed using 35 plants for £227!!?
That's a bit naughty. Imagine 12 plants per sqm at £6 the plant.
Surely it can be achieve a bit cheaper. The ideas are great, but the
planting calculation a bit ...err commercial ;o)

I did not mean to BUY from them - only to look at the info on their site :~)
Jenny

Old 12-10-2008, 03:06 AM
Registered User

Can someone help me please with planting density. I am planting a large public park and the professional planting plan specifies 'Density' as plants/ square metre. How does this convert to plant spacing?

The densities given are 3, 4, 5 and 6 plants per square metre. I need to know how far apart to put the plants. I have tried to calculate this but don't believe my calculations. Is there a table anywhere?