GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Onions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/165221-onions.html)

David in Normandy[_3_] 22-09-2007 08:46 PM

Onions

Lots of my onions are rotten in the ground this year. Is this down to
the wet weather?
--
David in Normandy.
(The free MicroPlanet Gravity newsreader is great for eliminating the

Alan 22-09-2007 11:43 PM

Onions

In article ,
says...

Get ****ed, ****.

Bob Hobden 23-09-2007 05:43 PM

Onions

"David in Normandy" wrote

Lots of my onions are rotten in the ground this year. Is this down to
the wet weather?

Have you got White Rot David? That's normally the only thing that causes
such to happen.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

David in Normandy[_3_] 23-09-2007 06:07 PM

Onions

In article , says...

"David in Normandy" wrote

Lots of my onions are rotten in the ground this year. Is this down to
the wet weather?

Have you got White Rot David? That's normally the only thing that causes
such to happen.

I just googled for White Rot, but it doesn't seem to match. Mine seem to
be rotting from the central stem outwards, rather than from the base
inwards. There is no sign of white fungus either.
--
David in Normandy.
(The free MicroPlanet Gravity newsreader is great for eliminating
rubbish and cross-posts)

Bob Hobden 23-09-2007 10:58 PM

Onions

"David in Normandy" wrote ...

"David in Normandy" wrote

Lots of my onions are rotten in the ground this year. Is this down to
the wet weather?

Have you got White Rot David? That's normally the only thing that causes
such to happen.

I just googled for White Rot, but it doesn't seem to match. Mine seem to
be rotting from the central stem outwards, rather than from the base
inwards. There is no sign of white fungus either.

Onion Neck Rot then.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Broadback 24-09-2007 08:45 AM

Onions

Bob Hobden wrote:
"David in Normandy" wrote ...
"David in Normandy" wrote
Lots of my onions are rotten in the ground this year. Is this down to
the wet weather?
Have you got White Rot David? That's normally the only thing that causes
such to happen.

I just googled for White Rot, but it doesn't seem to match. Mine seem to
be rotting from the central stem outwards, rather than from the base
inwards. There is no sign of white fungus either.

Onion Neck Rot then.

It was wet here David, and both my Autumn planted and Spring planted
onions were fine, though I did get "rust" on my garlic which reduced the
quantity and quality of them.

David in Normandy[_3_] 24-09-2007 10:02 AM

Onions

In article , says...

"David in Normandy" wrote ...

"David in Normandy" wrote

Lots of my onions are rotten in the ground this year. Is this down to
the wet weather?

Have you got White Rot David? That's normally the only thing that causes
such to happen.

I just googled for White Rot, but it doesn't seem to match. Mine seem to
be rotting from the central stem outwards, rather than from the base
inwards. There is no sign of white fungus either.

Onion Neck Rot then.

Yes, that's the one! I fed it into Google and that is exactly what has
happened to mine. All the stems are soft and rotting, rather than drying
out. I guess it's down to the wet Summer we've had here. I've never had
that problem growing onions before.