Old 23-09-2007, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue Sue is offline

Default Sloes/damsons (slightly OT)

Might damsons trees in a hedgerow have the odd thorn or two? This morning we
picked what we think are fruits -too -big to- be -sloes but there were a few
long thorns on some of the branches. I plan to jam them but if they are
sloes they may not yet be sweet enough so they may have to be "ginned"
instead!

Sue W.
--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

Old 23-09-2007, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Sue" writes:

| Might damsons trees in a hedgerow have the odd thorn or two? This morning we
| picked what we think are fruits -too -big to- be -sloes but there were a few
| long thorns on some of the branches. I plan to jam them but if they are
| sloes they may not yet be sweet enough so they may have to be "ginned"
| instead!

Yes, but I am afraid that you are confused. They are likely to be
bullaces - the 'wild' damson (and ancestor of modern plums) - probably
introduced by the neolithic farmers. But there is no need for fruit
to be sweet to be good for jam - both sloes and Chaenomeles make very
good jam, and you can make good jam with unripe fruit.

Equally well, you can make a good gin cordial with bullaces and
suitable damsons, though I haven't done it myself.

Or cheese, which I have, and chutney, which my wife has :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-09-2007, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

In article ,
"Sue" writes:

| Might damsons trees in a hedgerow have the odd thorn or two? This morning we
| picked what we think are fruits -too -big to- be -sloes but there were a few
| long thorns on some of the branches. I plan to jam them but if they are
| sloes they may not yet be sweet enough so they may have to be "ginned"
| instead!

Yes, but I am afraid that you are confused. They are likely to be
bullaces - the 'wild' damson (and ancestor of modern plums) - probably
introduced by the neolithic farmers. But there is no need for fruit
to be sweet to be good for jam - both sloes and Chaenomeles make very
good jam, and you can make good jam with unripe fruit.

Equally well, you can make a good gin cordial with bullaces and
suitable damsons, though I haven't done it myself.

Or cheese, which I have, and chutney, which my wife has :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick - are these sloes? I've had a look at some images on Google and
think they are. We've got several of these shrubs in the hedgerow around
our property, laden with fruit. I'd like to have a go at a jam recipe
but a second opinion would be good before discovering I've made woody
nightshade jam or some such poison!

Photos:

A sloe bush?

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/Hpim5809a.jpg

Close up including my hand for scale:

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/Hpim5810b.jpg

--
David in Normandy.
(The free MicroPlanet Gravity newsreader is great for eliminating
Old 23-09-2007, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
In article ,

says...

In article ,
"Sue" writes:

| Might damsons trees in a hedgerow have the odd thorn or two? This morning we
| picked what we think are fruits -too -big to- be -sloes but there were a few
| long thorns on some of the branches. I plan to jam them but if they are
| sloes they may not yet be sweet enough so they may have to be "ginned"
| instead!

Yes, but I am afraid that you are confused. They are likely to be
bullaces - the 'wild' damson (and ancestor of modern plums) - probably
introduced by the neolithic farmers. But there is no need for fruit
to be sweet to be good for jam - both sloes and Chaenomeles make very
good jam, and you can make good jam with unripe fruit.

Equally well, you can make a good gin cordial with bullaces and
suitable damsons, though I haven't done it myself.

Or cheese, which I have, and chutney, which my wife has :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick - are these sloes? I've had a look at some images on Google and
think they are. We've got several of these shrubs in the hedgerow around
our property, laden with fruit. I'd like to have a go at a jam recipe
but a second opinion would be good before discovering I've made woody
nightshade jam or some such poison!

Photos:

A sloe bush?

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/Hpim5809a.jpg

Close up including my hand for scale:

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/Hpim5810b.jpg

Sorry, I mucked up the links:

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/Photos/Hpim5809a.jpg

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/Photos/Hpim5810b.jpg

Old 23-09-2007, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Sue" writes:

Equally well, you can make a good gin cordial with bullaces and
suitable damsons, though I haven't done it myself.

When I were a lad, like, my grandparents would send me out to pick sloes in
the hedgerows around the village. It was always cold and miserable and I
hated the job. One year, I found what I thought were large sloes and thus
filled the basket much quicker. They wouldn't use them but gave them to an
uncle who reckoned that they made the best "sloe" gin he'd ever had. They
were probably bullaces.

I also had to help make the liqueur which was another chore since GF made a
dozen bottles and GM mad another dozen that GF didn't kmow about. Each sloe
had to be pricked. BTW, they rarely drank it but gave it away as gifts.
Graham.

Old 23-09-2007, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jennifer Sparkes writes:
| The message
| from "Sue" contains these words:
|
| I wondered about bullace but isn't a bullace more of a greeny colour?
| (outside I mean). I am just about to jam them now anyway.
|
| IIRC this came up this time last year and surprised me.
|
| If you look at Bullace in Google Images they show both colours ...

That would figure. Clapham, Tutin and Warberg says that they are usually
blue-black or purple - with the implication that they sometimes aren't.
As they are ancestral to all modern plums (including greengages etc.), it
isn't surprising if they have a similar range of colours.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-09-2007, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:

| Nick - are these sloes? I've had a look at some images on Google and
| think they are. We've got several of these shrubs in the hedgerow around
| our property, laden with fruit. I'd like to have a go at a jam recipe
| but a second opinion would be good before discovering I've made woody
| nightshade jam or some such poison!
|
| http://www.avisoft.co.uk/Photos/Hpim5809a.jpg
|
| http://www.avisoft.co.uk/Photos/Hpim5810b.jpg

Yup. To check, the stone will be obviously plum-like, with a kernel
with a strong bitter almond flavour (don't eat too many) and the flesh
plum-like and greenish. The taste will screw your mouth up.

There aren't any plants I know of other than other Prunus species that
you can confuse them with, which have naturalised themselves in the UK.
Just remember to avoid the laurels, not to eat too many kernels, and
you are quite safe. The fruit structure of that section of Prunus is
very distinctive, and can be confused only with some tropical fruits.
And those leaves are exactly right.

I advise making jelly - removing sloe stones is hell. Also, use 50/50
apple and sloe juice (or even 75/25), as pure sloe jelly is too fierce
even for me. Taste the juice once you have extracted it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-09-2007, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:

| Nick - are these sloes? I've had a look at some images on Google and
| think they are. We've got several of these shrubs in the hedgerow around
| our property, laden with fruit. I'd like to have a go at a jam recipe
| but a second opinion would be good before discovering I've made woody
| nightshade jam or some such poison!

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/Photos/Hpim5809a.jpg

| http://www.avisoft.co.uk/Photos/Hpim5810b.jpg

Yup. To check, the stone will be obviously plum-like, with a kernel
with a strong bitter almond flavour (don't eat too many) and the flesh
plum-like and greenish. The taste will screw your mouth up.

There aren't any plants I know of other than other Prunus species that
you can confuse them with, which have naturalised themselves in the UK.
Just remember to avoid the laurels, not to eat too many kernels, and
you are quite safe. The fruit structure of that section of Prunus is
very distinctive, and can be confused only with some tropical fruits.
And those leaves are exactly right.

I advise making jelly - removing sloe stones is hell. Also, use 50/50
apple and sloe juice (or even 75/25), as pure sloe jelly is too fierce
even for me. Taste the juice once you have extracted it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks Nick. I've just eaten a few berries and yes they are quite bitter
but with a definite plum taste / texture. Crunching a kernel I could
also definitely taste marzipan/almond. So it looks like a 100% match to
your description.

My mouth is still quite dry now, several minutes after eating them. They
are quite moorish in a strange savoury sort of way.

So it just leaves the question of whether to pick them now or let them
ripen a bit more. They seem "nearly" ripe being quite flesh but they
resist being pulled. I guess leaving them longer would probably mean the
birds eating them first.
Old 23-09-2007, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:

| Thanks Nick. I've just eaten a few berries and yes they are quite bitter
| but with a definite plum taste / texture. Crunching a kernel I could
| also definitely taste marzipan/almond. So it looks like a 100% match to
| your description.
|
| My mouth is still quite dry now, several minutes after eating them. They
| are quite moorish in a strange savoury sort of way.

They have that effect - now join the very select club of people who like
to eat sloes raw :-)

| So it just leaves the question of whether to pick them now or let them
| ripen a bit more. They seem "nearly" ripe being quite flesh but they
| resist being pulled. I guess leaving them longer would probably mean the
| birds eating them first.

Maybe. The birds typically don't go for them until quite late, as
they don't contain much carbohydrate. I would pick them as and when
convenient - traditionally, they were left until the first frost,
but that isn't essential.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 24-09-2007, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23 Sep, 18:12, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
David in Normandy writes:

| Thanks Nick. I've just eaten a few berries and yes they are quite bitter
| but with a definite plum taste / texture. Crunching a kernel I could
| also definitely taste marzipan/almond. So it looks like a 100% match to
| your description.
|
| My mouth is still quite dry now, several minutes after eating them. They
| are quite moorish in a strange savoury sort of way.

They have that effect - now join the very select club of people who like
to eat sloes raw :-)

| So it just leaves the question of whether to pick them now or let them
| ripen a bit more. They seem "nearly" ripe being quite flesh but they
| resist being pulled. I guess leaving them longer would probably mean the
| birds eating them first.

Maybe. The birds typically don't go for them until quite late, as
they don't contain much carbohydrate. I would pick them as and when
convenient - traditionally, they were left until the first frost,
but that isn't essential.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Pick them now if they are just slightly fleshy feeling - they don't
just fall off the bushes like plums or apples, you have to actually
pick them. I get mine near Melrose and I've never in 30 years seen
them so good.

On making sloe gin, the accepted technique in this day and age is to
put them in the freezer and let them unthaw slowly - that breaks the
skins and enables the juice extraction. If you are prepared to pick
enough (2 of us picked over a dozen pounds in under an hour the other
day), a good wine can be made with sloes - a bit of extra fruit is
required to enhance to the flavour. The recipe I found starts off
with 60 lbs of sloes !!

Rob

Old 24-09-2007, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com,
Rob G writes:

| On making sloe gin, the accepted technique in this day and age is to
| put them in the freezer and let them unthaw slowly - that breaks the
| skins and enables the juice extraction.

Or just don't bother. Given a reasonable passage of time, the gin
will absorb the juice without needing to do anything. But slicing
them with a knife or freezing them certainly speeds things up.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-09-2007, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" writes:

| Might damsons trees in a hedgerow have the odd thorn or two? This
morning we
| picked what we think are fruits -too -big to- be -sloes but there were
a few
| long thorns on some of the branches. I plan to jam them but if they are
| sloes they may not yet be sweet enough so they may have to be "ginned"
| instead!

Yes, but I am afraid that you are confused. They are likely to be
bullaces

I agree.

- the 'wild' damson (and ancestor of modern plums) - probably
introduced by the neolithic farmers. But there is no need for fruit
to be sweet to be good for jam - both sloes and Chaenomeles make very
good jam, and you can make good jam with unripe fruit.

Equally well, you can make a good gin cordial with bullaces and
suitable damsons, though I haven't done it myself.

I have and it's very, very good.

Or cheese, which I have, and chutney, which my wife has :-)

I haven't made chutney but the cheese is wonderful - such an intense flavour
.... drool ... our little tree doesn't produce many fruit so I have to use
them for something special. The cheese is special - there's nothing like it
in my experience.

Mary