Old 24-09-2007, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Spacing of rows for raspberries

I'm going to make a fruit cage over the winter. Space is a bit
constricted and naturally I want to pack in as much as possible !! My
books say 6 feet apart for the rows for raspberries - this is a bit
expensive on ground space for me, and I'm wondering if it can be
reduced to say 4 feet.

Thanks

Rob

Old 24-09-2007, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rob G" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm going to make a fruit cage over the winter. Space is a bit
constricted and naturally I want to pack in as much as possible !! My
books say 6 feet apart for the rows for raspberries - this is a bit
expensive on ground space for me, and I'm wondering if it can be
reduced to say 4 feet.

Thanks

Rob

I can't see why not, you have to be able to move between the rows though.

Mary

Old 24-09-2007, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
Rob G wrote:

I'm going to make a fruit cage over the winter. Space is a bit
constricted and naturally I want to pack in as much as possible !! My
books say 6 feet apart for the rows for raspberries - this is a bit
expensive on ground space for me, and I'm wondering if it can be
reduced to say 4 feet.

Thanks

Rob

I have successfully grown raspberries 9 inches apart! I would keep
different varieties about 18 inches apart, and that's only so I can see
the runners and stop them getting mixed up. If you're not bothered about
the varieties, then it shouldn't be a problem. I didn't notice a drop in
yield when I did this, and now I regularly plant 6-9 inches apart. The
issues are water, light and food, so with denser planting you have to be
more observant, but there's no reason why you shouldn't succeed. Also, I
prefer my rasps in a line, made picking easier.

When I didn't have a garden, I would have 5 canes in a large plastic
bucket (about 5 gallon), and had 3 buckets, all did very well ..

Hope that helped

Dominic
Old 25-09-2007, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rob
ADAS, the agricultural advisory service recommend space. Closer
fruiting is at the expense of fruit quality.
I have seen a raspberry cane fruit exceptionally well when planted in
grout buckets - 1 cane per bucket. They were watered every other day,
and fed every other watering. The methods bests suits autumn
raspberries such as Autumn Bliss, Joan J, Joan Squire or Polka
Regards
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Flowers: - Sunflower-rows.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 1 09-03-2009 02:42 PM
What do you use to make the rows in your Garden? Stuntz Edible Gardening 24 18-01-2005 12:15 AM
What do you use to make the rows in your Garden? Stuntz Edible Gardening 0 16-01-2005 01:49 AM
grass rows keith nuttle Gardening 3 15-08-2003 04:42 PM
Bed gardening vs rows Jerry Edible Gardening 5 30-04-2003 01:08 AM