Old 25-09-2007, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice onSoftwood buddleia Cuttings

I have obtained some cuttings of a very rare and special variety of
Buddleia davidii.
I have never bothered propagating this plant as the best variety for
butterflies is usually the wild one and seedlings are easy to come by.
I have had to remove a small plant from my roof!

This one is special. It flowers later and is exceptionally good. I
have a few lengths of hardwood which I will stick in the ground. I
also have about 15 short two-3 inch lengths of side shoot mostly with
heels. Which I have been advised to plant as cuttings.

I suspect a 60 % perlite 40% coir base would be best but would welcome
advice as it will be at least a year before I go near the original
plant again and I had a seven hour journey home.

Also where should I put them. My choices are a cold greenhouse,
outside, or a room that is unheated ( a spare bathroom) and where it
is currently around 20c but where it can go below 10 in extremis in
the winter. But where I occasionally warm it to dry clothes over a gas
heater.

Neil Jones

http://www.butterflyguy.com/

Old 25-09-2007, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 25, 9:55 am, "
wrote:
[...]

/

I am no cuttings expert but given a choice between those above, I
would vote for the cold greenhouse.

Des

Old 25-09-2007, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 25, 9:55 am, "
wrote:
This one is special. It flowers later and is exceptionally good.
Also where should I put them.

If you have a greenhouse, it is indeed the best place but you can keep
them outdoor too. But what colour is this 'special' one? I have a
fantastic 'Empire Blue' which smells of honey and a 'White Cloud'.

Old 26-09-2007, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com, Des
Higgins writes

I am no cuttings expert but given a choice between those above, I
would vote for the cold greenhouse.

Des

Bottom heat could help like soil cable in sand, they like their heads to
be coolish. If it's very rare then maybe it's a swine to propagate?
Colvilei is awful to root, weryiana is a doodle, so it helps to know
which one it is.
There is a silvery leafed variety that is almost impossible, can't
remember the name but it was at Chelsea about four years ago, has
slender long silvery leaves and insignificant flowers. I thought it was
silver ghost or silver wedding?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 26-09-2007, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 12:37:41 +0100, Janet Tweedy wrote:

In article .com, Des
Higgins writes

I am no cuttings expert but given a choice between those above, I
would vote for the cold greenhouse.

Des

Bottom heat could help like soil cable in sand, they like their heads to
be coolish. If it's very rare then maybe it's a swine to propagate?
Colvilei is awful to root, weryiana is a doodle, so it helps to know
which one it is.
There is a silvery leafed variety that is almost impossible, can't
remember the name but it was at Chelsea about four years ago, has
slender long silvery leaves and insignificant flowers. I thought it was
silver ghost or silver wedding?

This variety is as I said in the original posting a variety of Davidii.
It is not rare because it is difficult to propagate. It is rare because it
is relatively new in cultivation. It has the standard colour flower but a
later flowering season. Indeed the parent plant is still flowering and
consequently attracting a lot of late butterflies when a lot of flowers
they would otherwise use have finished.

The parent plant was , I believe, obtained from its discoverer who found
it in China.

I think the standard colour is probably best for butterflies as it is the
natural colour which I would expect to have evolved for maximum
pollination.

Neil Jones

http://www.butterflyguy.com/