GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pruning Perennial Plants Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/165431-pruning-perennial-plants-question.html)

Martin 28-09-2007 10:25 AM

Pruning Perennial Plants Question

Hello,

I grew some perennial plants this year , one of which is "Coryopsis
Lanceolata Sterntaler" which is still in flower.

When and how should I prune this plant. Should I cut just the stems down, or
cut the whole plant down to ground level ?

Sorry about my ignorance.

Martin.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 28-09-2007 01:56 PM

Pruning Perennial Plants Question

In article ,
says...
Hello,

I grew some perennial plants this year , one of which is "Coryopsis
Lanceolata Sterntaler" which is still in flower.

When and how should I prune this plant. Should I cut just the stems down, or
cut the whole plant down to ground level ?

Sorry about my ignorance.

Martin.

Be patient, the answer will be obvious by January as it will have died
back, so simply clear away dead bits in winter
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Emrys Davies 28-09-2007 02:04 PM

"Martin" wrote in message
Hello,

I grew some perennial plants this year , one of which is "Coryopsis
Lanceolata Sterntaler" which is still in flower.

When and how should I prune this plant. Should I cut just the stems

down, or
cut the whole plant down to ground level ?

Sorry about my ignorance.

Martin.

Best to cut back the stems after the flowers are spent and new flowering
stems will be produced lower down on the plant.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Sacha 28-09-2007 02:18 PM

Pruning Perennial Plants Question

On 28/9/07 10:25, in article , "Martin"
wrote:

Hello,

I grew some perennial plants this year , one of which is "Coryopsis
Lanceolata Sterntaler" which is still in flower.

When and how should I prune this plant. Should I cut just the stems down, or
cut the whole plant down to ground level ?

Dead head it to prolong flowering, though this is a long flowering one
anyway. After it's finished flowering, remove dead stems to tidy it if
you want to, after it has died back naturally.

Sorry about my ignorance.

Don't be. *Everyone* is ignorant about something. ;-))

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk