GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rose Cuttings (Again) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/165447-rose-cuttings-again.html)

TheScullster 29-09-2007 08:07 AM

Rose Cuttings (Again)

Hi all

I recently stuck a couple of rose cuttings in some seed/cutting compost in a
plant pot and they appeared to take.
All the old leaves have fallen off and on one cutting 3 new leaf-sets have
formed with about 5 small leafets on each.
A couple of days ago, the leaf tresses wilted.
Any ideas on a cause for this?

The rose cuttings are of serious sentimental value and I am eager to get one
or two healthy plants before the parent expires.

Any suggestions on remedial action please?
The compost has been kept moist but not wet.
Will adding some "miracle grow" help the cuttings take, or will this
accelerate foliar growth to the detriment of the general plant strength?

TIA

Phil

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 29-09-2007 08:37 AM

Rose Cuttings (Again)

In article ,
says...
Hi all

I recently stuck a couple of rose cuttings in some seed/cutting compost in a
plant pot and they appeared to take.
All the old leaves have fallen off and on one cutting 3 new leaf-sets have
formed with about 5 small leafets on each.
A couple of days ago, the leaf tresses wilted.
Any ideas on a cause for this?

The rose cuttings are of serious sentimental value and I am eager to get one
or two healthy plants before the parent expires.

Any suggestions on remedial action please?
The compost has been kept moist but not wet.
Will adding some "miracle grow" help the cuttings take, or will this
accelerate foliar growth to the detriment of the general plant strength?

TIA

Phil

I am afraid at this time of year there is always a high loss rate, Hard
wood cuttings in winter or semi ripe April to June give the best results
regards getting the plants through their first winter.
If the stems are still green there is hope but them somewhere cool and
leave them alone, if the stem bottoms have gone black they have had it!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

TheScullster 30-09-2007 08:41 AM

Rose Cuttings (Again)

"Charlie Pridham" wrote

I am afraid at this time of year there is always a high loss rate, Hard
wood cuttings in winter or semi ripe April to June give the best results
regards getting the plants through their first winter.
If the stems are still green there is hope but them somewhere cool and
leave them alone, if the stem bottoms have gone black they have had it!
--

Thanks again Charlie

Yes the lower part of the stem has become discoloured.
Big disappointment after the new shoots that appeared.
I still have one cutting that has a green stem and shoot buds so I guess all
my hopes ride on this, at least for this year.
This seems to be taking things at a far more sedate pace than the other
one - maybe slow-and-steady will do it.

Phil