Old 10-10-2007, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can I design something that will be useful while gardening?

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| | I doubt that wax would have been left in empty houses.
|
| Yes, it was. The aristocracy often lived in different houses during
| different times of year, and such durable consumables were not moved
| with the inhabitants. The same would have happened with the people
| (e.g. some shepherds) who had fixed accomodation but lived away from
| it for extended periods.
|
| Shepherds would not have used beeswax candles.

Sigh. Votive candles were beeswax. I was given one as part of my
confirmation, as a symbol, to keep. Roman catholics also burnt candles
in front of images of the BVM, if they could afford them. A shepherd
would clearly not have used beeswax candles for light, but might well
have had one or two, small, votive candles.

Very big sigh

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Mary Fisher
says...

Very big sigh

Even bigger sigh!
While you can both wax lyrical on the subject I'm tempted to knock your
heads together.
The snarling is getting on my wick :-)
Snuff it!
--
David in Normandy.
(The free MicroPlanet Gravity newsreader is great for eliminating
Old 10-10-2007, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
In article , Mary Fisher
says...

Very big sigh

Even bigger sigh!
While you can both wax lyrical on the subject I'm tempted to knock your
heads together.
The snarling is getting on my wick :-)
Snuff it!

:-)

If a candle is snuffed it burns more brightly ...

My big sigh was the last of my contributions but, although I'm flattered,
you didn't have to read it :-)

Mary

Old 10-10-2007, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Oct, 12:11, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
Sigh. Votive candles were beeswax. I was given one as part of my
confirmation, as a symbol, to keep. Roman catholics also burnt candles
in front of images of the BVM, if they could afford them. A shepherd
would clearly not have used beeswax candles for light, but might well
have had one or two, small, votive candles.

Read that as : Catholics burnt candles in front of images of the BMW
if they could afford them. Now, VM stands for Virgin Mary. Does the B
stands for Blue?

Old 10-10-2007, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...
On 10 Oct, 12:11, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
Sigh. Votive candles were beeswax. I was given one as part of my
confirmation, as a symbol, to keep. Roman catholics also burnt candles
in front of images of the BVM, if they could afford them. A shepherd
would clearly not have used beeswax candles for light, but might well
have had one or two, small, votive candles.

Read that as : Catholics burnt candles in front of images of the BMW
if they could afford them. Now, VM stands for Virgin Mary. Does the B
stands for Blue?

No. BMW stands for Berlin Motor Works :-))

Kindest regards

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:
| In article . com,
| says...
|
| Sigh. Votive candles were beeswax. I was given one as part of my
| confirmation, as a symbol, to keep. Roman catholics also burnt candles
| in front of images of the BVM, if they could afford them. A shepherd
| would clearly not have used beeswax candles for light, but might well
| have had one or two, small, votive candles.
|
| Read that as : Catholics burnt candles in front of images of the BMW
| if they could afford them. Now, VM stands for Virgin Mary. Does the B
| stands for Blue?
|
| Blessed I think?

It's definitely Blessed, but I still don't understand the posting.
It's a little clearer since I noticed the BMW - which I had, of course,
read as the BVM I was expecting ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Mary Fisher
says...
My big sigh was the last of my contributions but, although I'm flattered,
you didn't have to read it :-)

Mary

I have a passing interest in candles, so followed the debate. I make my
own occasionally from left over wax of commercial candles. The likes of
Ikea sell church candles with a too-small wick, so they burn and leave
wide walls of wax which have to be cut off periodically. So rather than
wasting the wax I make new ones, moulding them with kitchen foil
cardboard inners with a piece of string fixed between both ends. Works
well, provided the hot wax doesn't melt the selotape holding the ends in
and leak.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 10, 5:22 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On 10 Oct, 12:11, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
Sigh. Votive candles were beeswax. I was given one as part of my
confirmation, as a symbol, to keep. Roman catholics also burnt candles
in front of images of the BVM, if they could afford them. A shepherd
would clearly not have used beeswax candles for light, but might well
have had one or two, small, votive candles.

Read that as : Catholics burnt candles in front of images of the BMW
if they could afford them. Now, VM stands for Virgin Mary. Does the B
stands for Blue?

No. BMW stands for Berlin Motor Works :-))

This is completetley tangential and not relevant to anything important
but it is
Bayerische Motoren Werke which is German for Bavarian Motor Works.

Des

'THE' Association if you served in the Electrical Branch of the Royal Navywww.rneba.org.ukto find your ex-Greenie mess mateswww.iowtours.comfor all ex-Service Reunions. More being added regularly

Old 10-10-2007, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 10, 11:47 am, "Cat(h)" wrote:
On Oct 10, 10:37 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

.. .

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 03:57:27 -0700, Des Higgins
wrote:

On Oct 9, 10:35 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Des Higgins" wrote in message

groups.com...

On Oct 8, 6:28 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
David in Normandy writes:
| In article
.com,
Des
| Higgins says...
| ahhhhhhhhh when computers were easy to use and were proper big
things
| and made noises and had flashing lights.
|
| And carrying a backup disk to the fire safe made your arms ache!

Ah, you youngsters! Mountable disks are a recent development, and
traditional backups were on tape.

Tape?? Tape?? Luxury; in my day we had to take the hot valves from
the glass blowing department and design our own circuits and invent
computers and keep the operating system in our heads (backwards
because that was how you loaded it). We had to wait 40 years before
tape was invented. We had wax tablets and small boys as back up.

I MAKE wax tablets - and the styli.

A couple of years ago we made some for a top computer 'expert' who later
attended a US computer convention and caused astonishment and more
interest
than the speaker when everyone else in the audience opened their lap
tops
and he pulled out his codex of tabulae :-)

Mary
gasp :-)
do you have to keep them in the fridge on a hot day or keep them away
from mice?

If they melt, you can make them into very good earplugs,

How can you make tabulae into earplugs? And at body temperature beeswax is
too hard for earplugs - I've tried it.

and when
you're finished with them a few drops of mint oil and they make
spiffing chewing gum -

Why bother adding flavour? Beeswax tastes delicious as it is/

which can be composted in the end.

Why compost? Why not swallow it?

But the wastrel that you are would now know anything about that...
Cat(h) (I think Desmond is taking the Michael. He only does it very
very rarely and you have to be really careful to notice.)

He doesn't do it very well.

Hmmm.

Cat(h)- Hide quoted text -

How is yer heart rate after the weekend exertions? I presume you
watched a certain rugby match on Saturday night. Have you calmed down
yet. I saw Frederic Michalak and his thighs and I thought of you.

Des

Old 11-10-2007, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:
In article . com,
says...

Sigh. Votive candles were beeswax. I was given one as part of my
confirmation, as a symbol, to keep. Roman catholics also burnt
candles in front of images of the BVM, if they could afford them.
A shepherd would clearly not have used beeswax candles for light,
but might well have had one or two, small, votive candles.

Read that as : Catholics burnt candles in front of images of the
BMW if they could afford them. Now, VM stands for Virgin Mary.
Does the B stands for Blue?

Blessed I think?

It's definitely Blessed, but I still don't understand the posting.
It's a little clearer since I noticed the BMW - which I had, of
course, read as the BVM I was expecting ....

Me too.

This is uber-OT, but does anyone know why there are so many BMWs with
personalised plates reading BWV followed by the model number of the BMW? Has
someone bought all the BMW plates as a job lot?

When I had a BMW many years ago it was a "quality" car. Now it is the reps'
favourite :-)

Old 11-10-2007, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Oct, 17:40, "Cat(h)" wrote:
Read that as : Catholics burnt candles in front of images of the BMW
if they could afford them. Now, VM stands for Virgin Mary. Does the B
stands for Blue?

Blessed.

Off course! While you're there ... saturday greniad crossword, stuck
on: across 1 Liniment - cabinet room (anag) (11) - I've already got 2
down for Cut Grass (3) which is Mow, 3 down Full (7) which is replete,
giving me for 1 across -M-R-----O-. The O is from 6 down Banish from
group (9) which I think is ostricise. I haven't found 5 down One of
elder gods defeated by Zeus (5) which should be the 8th letter.
Anyone?

Old 11-10-2007, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Oct, 11:16, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
embrocation

OOhh... you're good. Ta very much. I know who to ask next Saturday ;o)