Old 11-10-2007, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can I design something that will be useful while gardening?

"Uncle Marvo" wrote

When I had a BMW many years ago it was a "quality" car. Now it is the
reps' favourite :-)

Here in Holland they don't call them 'pimped' for nothing - most are indeed
owned by such chaps and they usually have the largest speakers and sound
systems available............

Jenny

Old 12-10-2007, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Uncle Marvo" wrote

When I had a BMW many years ago it was a "quality" car. Now it is the
reps' favourite :-)

Here in Holland they don't call them 'pimped' for nothing - most are
indeed owned by such chaps and they usually have the largest speakers and
sound systems available............

Jenny

Here in Chapeltown they're known as Black Man's Wheels - not the same as the
BMW childishly discussed on GQT this week.

Mary

Old 12-10-2007, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 11, 7:21 pm, Des Higgins wrote:
On Oct 11, 1:48 pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:

On Oct 10, 8:35 pm, Des Higgins wrote:

On Oct 10, 11:47 am, "Cat(h)" wrote:

On Oct 10, 10:37 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

.. .

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 03:57:27 -0700, Des Higgins
wrote:

On Oct 9, 10:35 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Des Higgins" wrote in message

groups.com...

On Oct 8, 6:28 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
David in Normandy writes:
| In article
.com,
Des
| Higgins says...
| ahhhhhhhhh when computers were easy to use and were proper big
things
| and made noises and had flashing lights.
|
| And carrying a backup disk to the fire safe made your arms ache!

Ah, you youngsters! Mountable disks are a recent development, and
traditional backups were on tape.

Tape?? Tape?? Luxury; in my day we had to take the hot valves from
the glass blowing department and design our own circuits and invent
computers and keep the operating system in our heads (backwards
because that was how you loaded it). We had to wait 40 years before
tape was invented. We had wax tablets and small boys as back up.

I MAKE wax tablets - and the styli.

A couple of years ago we made some for a top computer 'expert' who later
attended a US computer convention and caused astonishment and more
interest
than the speaker when everyone else in the audience opened their lap
tops
and he pulled out his codex of tabulae :-)

Mary
gasp :-)
do you have to keep them in the fridge on a hot day or keep them away
from mice?

If they melt, you can make them into very good earplugs,

How can you make tabulae into earplugs? And at body temperature beeswax is
too hard for earplugs - I've tried it.

and when
you're finished with them a few drops of mint oil and they make
spiffing chewing gum -

Why bother adding flavour? Beeswax tastes delicious as it is/

which can be composted in the end.

Why compost? Why not swallow it?

But the wastrel that you are would now know anything about that...
Cat(h) (I think Desmond is taking the Michael. He only does it very
very rarely and you have to be really careful to notice.)

He doesn't do it very well.

Hmmm.

Cat(h)- Hide quoted text -

How is yer heart rate after the weekend exertions? I presume you
watched a certain rugby match on Saturday night.

To my eternal shame, I missed it. I was waylaid, your Honor (and none
of your filty mind, Mister!)

Gasp!

Have you calmed down

yet.

Er. No. Not a hope tempting me from my telly on Sat night though.

I saw Frederic Michalak and his thighs and I thought of you.

I didn't think the similarities were *that* uncanny.

No no; I have never seen yer legs close up. I meant your great
passion for rugby players legs.

Ahhh. Yes... I was watching TG4 the other evening, and they had a
vintage (I think early 80's - Moss Keane was on the team) Ireland/
England game on. I was amazed at seeing how different the game was
then - more fluid, less bone crushing, better technique... And very,
very short shorts - practically hot pants. Phew!

His was the only name I could spell quickly so I named him.

Chabal's quads/glutes combo isn't bad either - and easy to spell.

Anyway; good luck on Saturday.

I know this is costing you... a lot :-)

Anyway, I feel right now that I am walking way, way to the end of the
slippery plank of off-topicness, so....

Dandelion!

That ought to do it.

Cat(h)

Des

Old 12-10-2007, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/10/07 11:37, in article , "Uncle
Marvo" wrote:

, I, Marvo, say :

Uncle Marvo writes
, I, Marvo, say :

Uncle Marvo writes

That's why I do the Times, not the Grauniad. You get sensible
questions, sometimes.

It'd be a lot more sense if you were to do the 'cryptic' and not the
'quick'. Then you'd get unambiguous clues.

I only do the cryptic. Once I've done the killer, fiendish and
whatever other Su Doku they give you, the word puzzle and the
Polygon. And been down the pub.

I don't read the paper itself, someone else has that. I pay 10p for
the Times 2 and the back page for the crossword. Bargain.

What do you have against the grauniad cryptic? Apart from not seeing
enough of Araucaria? And the fact that you have to pay an exorbitant
amount to do the crossword on the web.

And that's not enough?

My mate who kbows everything can't do this God clue.

Type

which elder gods did zeus defeat?

into Google, and feel lucky. And that chap didn't even get the same
letters!

Titan

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-10-2007, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On 12/10/07 11:37, in article ,
"Uncle Marvo" wrote:

[...]

I don't think he was one, I think he were "The Titans". But my memory-branes
fail me, especially on Fridays.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/10/07 12:01, in article , "Uncle
Marvo" wrote:

, I, Marvo, say :

On 12/10/07 11:37, in article
,
"Uncle Marvo" wrote:

[...]

He defeated his father Cronus who was a Titan. His mother's name I forget.
But he forced his father to spit out all his siblings - talk about not
speaking with your mouth full............