Old 04-10-2007, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can I design something that will be useful while gardening?

"CWatters" wrote in message

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
In article , Martin says...
All I see is a big graphic saying "Enter", but my browser security
settings are fairly high. A few pictures would be nice.
--
David in Normandy.
(The free MicroPlanet Gravity newsreader is great for eliminating

Ok for those of you who are paranoid and have high browser settings...
Here
is a screen shot of what you see when you press enter.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/6006/designmejx7.jpg

It's reasonably simple and well done in my opinion. I've seen far worse.
Variouys sections are animated - but only when first drawn on your screen.
There are no continuous annoying animations like some sites.

Colin

Well done Colin. I think that has put the 'Oh so perfect' critics in their
place :-))

Kind regards

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CWatters" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 3/10/07 20:09, in article ,

"CWatters"
wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
Your website is inaccessible.

.. I liked it.

Mary

Works for me as well.

So - who wrote "Your website is inaccessible"? ;-))
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Ok for those of you who are paranoid and have high browser settings or
other
problems with the site...

Here is a screen shot of what you see when you press enter.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/6006/designmejx7.jpg

It's reasonably simple and well done in my opinion. I've seen far worse.
Various sections are animated - but only when first drawn on your screen.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CWatters" wrote in message

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...
Not for me, it doesn't :-(

Not that it matters, mind...
Cat(h)

Old 04-10-2007, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"'Mike'" writes:
| "CWatters" wrote in message

Why do both of you feel that what you have to say is so important that
you have to say it three times?

| Ok for those of you who are paranoid and have high browser settings...
| Here
| is a screen shot of what you see when you press enter.
|
| http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/6006/designmejx7.jpg

No it isn't - unless you go in for flashing. But thanks for posting
what a flasher would see.

| It's reasonably simple and well done in my opinion. I've seen far worse.
| Variouys sections are animated - but only when first drawn on your screen.
| There are no continuous annoying animations like some sites.

Then it is utterly damn-fool to use flash - there is such a thing as
using an appropriate tool for the job.

One of the standard principles of user interface design (which predates
the Internet) is that the first page or pages should be simple, and
need as few resources as possible. This isn't just for people on the
other end of lengths of wet string or behind paranoid firewalls, but
is needed to make it accessible to disabled people.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/10/07 07:42, in article , "CWatters"
wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...
Not for me, it doesn't :-(

Not that it matters, mind...
Cat(h)

Ok for those of you who are paranoid and have high browser settings... Here
is a screen shot of what you see when you press enter.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/6006/designmejx7.jpg

It's reasonably simple and well done in my opinion. I've seen far worse.
Variouys sections are animated - but only when first drawn on your screen.
There are no continuous annoying animations like some sites.

Colin

When I followed your link, none of the first page was clickable, Colin.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/10/07 10:49, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:42:22 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 4/10/07 07:42, in article
, "CWatters"
wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...
Not for me, it doesn't :-(

Not that it matters, mind...
Cat(h)

Ok for those of you who are paranoid and have high browser settings... Here
is a screen shot of what you see when you press enter.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/6006/designmejx7.jpg

It's reasonably simple and well done in my opinion. I've seen far worse.
Variouys sections are animated - but only when first drawn on your screen.
There are no continuous annoying animations like some sites.

Colin

When I followed your link, none of the first page was clickable, Colin.

That's cos it's a screen shot and not the real thing.

Doh. ;-)

How come OP hasn't answered?

Is the answer to the original question: NO! ?

Perhaps she's just waiting to see the comments.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 3, 10:15 pm, David in Normandy wrote:
In article , Sacha
says...

On 3/10/07 16:44, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article . com,
"Cat(h)" writes:

| I can't get in. I get a blank page with in the corner a barely
| visible "loading..." thingy that keeps ticking away and getting
| nowhere.

I can reach it, but it is total junk. I am not a flasher, and can't
be bothered to reverse engineer misdesigned Web nonsense unless I
have a very good reason to.

I don't think it's junk but I think it needs careful proof-reading by
someone other than its designer. There are spelling and punctuation
mistakes as in 'accidently' instead of 'accidentally' and 'your' when it
should be 'you're'. Small things but not confidence inspiring if
repetitive.

I agree about the spelling. In a former life I received lots of job
applications from people. Some people had several spelling mistakes on
the envelope (before even getting to the CV). For example spelling the
name of the company and town incorrectly. Others had the most appalling,
illegible hand writing on the envelope. In work where accuracy, clarity
and communication (both written and verbal) is important this eliminated
them before even opening the envelope and reading their CV.

Also, a surprisingly high number of people gave out-of-date or badly
spelled email addresses on their CV. On several occasions, people that
were sent interview invitations never received them due to this. The
emails bounced back to me because the email address given in the CV was
not valid.

When needing to filter out lots of applicants for one position, such
carelessness on job applications proved to be one way of eliminating
candidates.

Obviously it depended on the job. A Mike mentioned, a cleaner would not
be eliminated on the basis of their spelling. Though, it could lead to
signs on the toilet doors saying "Bog is art a horder" :-)

And why miss out on such poetry?

But seriously, I think it should be taken as constructive criticism by
the OP, who is after all intending to make a living out of "designing"
things that are useful to people, that the website he/she uses to
advertise her/his wares puts off at least some people, and therefore
potential customers.
I still can't get in, by the way. I suspect my system here is
allergic to it.

Cat(h)

Old 04-10-2007, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/10/07 11:05, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:56:10 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

snip

How come OP hasn't answered?

Is the answer to the original question: NO! ?

Perhaps she's just waiting to see the comments.

Perhaps she is overwhelmed with offers?
Will old servicemen get a new website?

!!!

Old 04-10-2007, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

in , I, Marvo, say :

Hi, im a final year 3D Design student at University College Falmouth
in Cornwall. Im looking for my next project, and was wondering if
anyone on this forum would be willing to help me out?

Im looking for someone to design something for. This person doesnt
neccessarily have to have a product in mind, they just need to be
willing to share a little information about their lifestyle and
interests, gardening for example!

Please have a look at my website for more details:

www.designmea.moonfruit.com

Or contact me through this forum!

Thanks, Holly

I've read your website gubbins, I like it a lot.

I agree entirely with your views on quality, I rant on about it at the drop
of a hat. I think you can achieve what you're trying to achieve in very
small quantities, but sadly if you get to production quantities it will end
up being made badly, in China or India, from Cheese, and will fall apart in
weeks or months.

You can design the roof of my pergatory if you like :-)

Old 04-10-2007, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com,
"Cat(h)" writes
On Oct 3, 10:15 pm, David in Normandy wrote:
In article , Sacha
says...

On 3/10/07 16:44, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article . com,
"Cat(h)" writes:

| I can't get in. I get a blank page with in the corner a barely
| visible "loading..." thingy that keeps ticking away and getting
| nowhere.

I can reach it, but it is total junk. I am not a flasher, and can't
be bothered to reverse engineer misdesigned Web nonsense unless I
have a very good reason to.

I don't think it's junk but I think it needs careful proof-reading by
someone other than its designer. There are spelling and punctuation
mistakes as in 'accidently' instead of 'accidentally' and 'your' when it
should be 'you're'. Small things but not confidence inspiring if
repetitive.

I agree about the spelling. In a former life I received lots of job
applications from people. Some people had several spelling mistakes on
the envelope (before even getting to the CV). For example spelling the
name of the company and town incorrectly. Others had the most appalling,
illegible hand writing on the envelope. In work where accuracy, clarity
and communication (both written and verbal) is important this eliminated
them before even opening the envelope and reading their CV.

Also, a surprisingly high number of people gave out-of-date or badly
spelled email addresses on their CV. On several occasions, people that
were sent interview invitations never received them due to this. The
emails bounced back to me because the email address given in the CV was
not valid.

When needing to filter out lots of applicants for one position, such
carelessness on job applications proved to be one way of eliminating
candidates.

Obviously it depended on the job. A Mike mentioned, a cleaner would not
be eliminated on the basis of their spelling. Though, it could lead to
signs on the toilet doors saying "Bog is art a horder" :-)

And why miss out on such poetry?

But seriously, I think it should be taken as constructive criticism by
the OP, who is after all intending to make a living out of "designing"
things that are useful to people, that the website he/she uses to
advertise her/his wares puts off at least some people, and therefore
potential customers.
I still can't get in, by the way. I suspect my system here is
allergic to it.

Cat(h)

I can't get past the front page either - while there is a way past the
Flash animation this doesn't work for me. I suspect that this is due to
the use of JavaScript in the web page. (Unnecessary use of JavaScript
seems to be a least as common a sin as unnecessary use of Flash.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 04-10-2007, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/10/07 11:06, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

On Oct 3, 10:15 pm, David in Normandy wrote:
In article , Sacha
says...

On 3/10/07 16:44, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article . com,
"Cat(h)" writes:

| I can't get in. I get a blank page with in the corner a barely
| visible "loading..." thingy that keeps ticking away and getting
| nowhere.

I can reach it, but it is total junk. I am not a flasher, and can't
be bothered to reverse engineer misdesigned Web nonsense unless I
have a very good reason to.

I don't think it's junk but I think it needs careful proof-reading by
someone other than its designer. There are spelling and punctuation
mistakes as in 'accidently' instead of 'accidentally' and 'your' when it
should be 'you're'. Small things but not confidence inspiring if
repetitive.

I agree about the spelling. In a former life I received lots of job
applications from people. Some people had several spelling mistakes on
the envelope (before even getting to the CV). For example spelling the
name of the company and town incorrectly. Others had the most appalling,
illegible hand writing on the envelope. In work where accuracy, clarity
and communication (both written and verbal) is important this eliminated
them before even opening the envelope and reading their CV.

Also, a surprisingly high number of people gave out-of-date or badly
spelled email addresses on their CV. On several occasions, people that
were sent interview invitations never received them due to this. The
emails bounced back to me because the email address given in the CV was
not valid.

When needing to filter out lots of applicants for one position, such
carelessness on job applications proved to be one way of eliminating
candidates.

Obviously it depended on the job. A Mike mentioned, a cleaner would not
be eliminated on the basis of their spelling. Though, it could lead to
signs on the toilet doors saying "Bog is art a horder" :-)

And why miss out on such poetry?

I had 5 attempts to unravel that one - got there finally!

But seriously, I think it should be taken as constructive criticism by
the OP, who is after all intending to make a living out of "designing"
things that are useful to people, that the website he/she uses to
advertise her/his wares puts off at least some people, and therefore
potential customers.
I still can't get in, by the way. I suspect my system here is
allergic to it.

Cat(h)

Of course it's meant as constructive criticism. The OP is aiming to be a
professional working with professionals. Communicating at the level of
those you wish to impress or seek as clients, is essential to the OP's
future. Mike never can resist taking a swipe, even when it's misleading to
original and new posters. His remarks are of no assistance to Holly
whatsoever and his bitterness with this group's distaste for him reflects
that. I do hope she hasn't been drawn into his web!
I like the first page - it's fresh, young and uncluttered. I think the
following pages could give a little more information on the experience of
the OP but as she's still a student, that may inevitably be a bit thin on
the ground. Time will take care of that. For what it's worth, I think,
too, that it's quite courageous of a young student to ask for the assistance
and opinion of a wide variety of people, some much older and more
experienced than herself. Should go far. ;-))

Old 04-10-2007, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/10/07 11:25, in article , "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message .com,
"Cat(h)" writes
On Oct 3, 10:15 pm, David in Normandy wrote:
In article , Sacha
says...

On 3/10/07 16:44, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article . com,
"Cat(h)" writes:

| I can't get in. I get a blank page with in the corner a barely
| visible "loading..." thingy that keeps ticking away and getting
| nowhere.

I can reach it, but it is total junk. I am not a flasher, and can't
be bothered to reverse engineer misdesigned Web nonsense unless I
have a very good reason to.

I don't think it's junk but I think it needs careful proof-reading by
someone other than its designer. There are spelling and punctuation
mistakes as in 'accidently' instead of 'accidentally' and 'your' when it
should be 'you're'. Small things but not confidence inspiring if
repetitive.

I agree about the spelling. In a former life I received lots of job
applications from people. Some people had several spelling mistakes on
the envelope (before even getting to the CV). For example spelling the
name of the company and town incorrectly. Others had the most appalling,
illegible hand writing on the envelope. In work where accuracy, clarity
and communication (both written and verbal) is important this eliminated
them before even opening the envelope and reading their CV.

Also, a surprisingly high number of people gave out-of-date or badly
spelled email addresses on their CV. On several occasions, people that
were sent interview invitations never received them due to this. The
emails bounced back to me because the email address given in the CV was
not valid.

When needing to filter out lots of applicants for one position, such
carelessness on job applications proved to be one way of eliminating
candidates.

Obviously it depended on the job. A Mike mentioned, a cleaner would not
be eliminated on the basis of their spelling. Though, it could lead to
signs on the toilet doors saying "Bog is art a horder" :-)

And why miss out on such poetry?

But seriously, I think it should be taken as constructive criticism by
the OP, who is after all intending to make a living out of "designing"
things that are useful to people, that the website he/she uses to
advertise her/his wares puts off at least some people, and therefore
potential customers.
I still can't get in, by the way. I suspect my system here is
allergic to it.

Cat(h)

I can't get past the front page either - while there is a way past the
Flash animation this doesn't work for me. I suspect that this is due to
the use of JavaScript in the web page. (Unnecessary use of JavaScript
seems to be a least as common a sin as unnecessary use of Flash.)

Oh dear - time for me to display my absysmal ignorance. I don't know what
Flash is and have only the most tenuous grasp of Java. Can you explain,
please? I can get into the whole of the site, BTW.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| I can't get past the front page either - while there is a way past the
| Flash animation this doesn't work for me. I suspect that this is due to
| the use of JavaScript in the web page. (Unnecessary use of JavaScript
| seems to be a least as common a sin as unnecessary use of Flash.)

Yes :-(

I have seen pages where the menu item to select the text-only pages
was encoded as a Flash image, and ones where the item to select no
JavaScript was handled by JavaScript.

D'oh.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

I can't get past the front page either - while there is a way past
the Flash animation this doesn't work for me. I suspect that this
is due to the use of JavaScript in the web page. (Unnecessary use
of JavaScript seems to be a least as common a sin as unnecessary
use of Flash.)

Yes :-(

I have seen pages where the menu item to select the text-only pages
was encoded as a Flash image, and ones where the item to select no
JavaScript was handled by JavaScript.

D'oh.

It called Catch-22. Micro$loth did it when they pre-released NT4, how I
laughed, you couldn't install the CD drivers because they were on a CD. When
I rang them to find out what I was supposed to do, they said it was the
first time anyone had reported such a problem. Whoops. And, furthermore,
D'Oh.

Seems so long ago now.

:-)