Old 04-10-2007, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can I design something that will be useful while gardening?

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| And I suppose it's possible that part of the brief from her course was to
| design a page using all the bolt-on goodies.

It wouldn't be the first time that I have felt a deep desire for a
few minutes alone with a course supervisor, in a dark alley, with me
carrying my industrial strength cluestick.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

[1] sandboxed - confined to using a reduced set of the capabilities
of your computer so that it can do any harm if it is maliciously or
incompetently programmed.

[2] buffer overrun attack - in an insufficiently defensively
programmed piece of software a malicious user can write, say, 110
characters where only 100 is allowed for. This overwrites other
data; depending on what the data is it can have severe effects.

[3] exploit - a means of defeating the security features of a
computer.

I don't think I'd grasped how dangerous it is out there!! I'm
extremely cautious about emails with attachments but this sounds v.
worrying! Thank you for bothering to go into all this, though. I'm
beginning to get a faint grasp of the essentials.

You've got a Mac. I wouldn't worry.

It never ceases to amaze me how, whatever the subject of a thread, they seem
to end up talking (normally out of a hat) about technical things. I suspect
it is something to do with the medium.

Can't the technical rubbish be put in another thread, or something?

Just an idea.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

It never ceases to amaze me how, whatever the subject of a thread, they
seem to end up talking (normally out of a hat) about technical things. I
suspect it is something to do with the medium.

Can't the technical rubbish be put in another thread, or something?

:-))

See my post of 12.51

;-))

Kind regards

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 4, 12:51 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
"designmea" wrote in message

Hi, im a final year 3D Design student at University College Falmouth in
Cornwall. Im looking for my next project, and was wondering if anyone
on this forum would be willing to help me out?

Well as you will have seen Holly, in general........ 'no'. :-((

Im looking for someone to design something for. This person doesnt
neccessarily have to have a product in mind, they just need to be
willing to share a little information about their lifestyle and
interests, gardening for example!

You will have noticed that gardening has come very low on the list of
replies. I agree it was a 'for example' so you no doubt expected it to be
low on suggestions. However the suggestion I have emaile you will give you a
bit of headscraching to do :-)

Please have a look at my website for more details:

Now this is where the urglers have really gone to town. They have NOT
grasped that you are not asking for critisism about your website. They feel
that you should re design it to their liking!! But here you have a couple of
problems. 1. You are not a web designer and you are NOT asking people to
design their website and 2. There are so many argumentative people here, you
will NEVER EVER design a web site to please all of them.

www.designmea.moonfruit.com

Is a site which is satisfactory to you and passes the message out that you
are looking for something to design. You achieved number one in selling,
Attention. number two is interest. Unfortunatley, the subscribers to this
newsgroup found something else to 'interest' them ......... having a go at
you!! Join the club!!

Or contact me through this forum!

Be brave Holly, stick your head above the parapet and face them :-)) but
don't take it in a 'personal' manner. They are ALL experts at everything and
were all born with the knowledge they have now. Just envy them, .... or not
as the case may be :-))

Thanks, Holly

Best wishes for your future and face the 'human challenge's as part of life
:-))

Mike

I saw no-one having a go at the young lady.
I saw plenty of feed back at the shop window (website) she uses to
promote her project - some positive, some negative - which she might
just see for what it is, constructive criticism which is helpful to
her. As a designer, it is important that she would get a real feel
for the response of her audience to what she designs, even her
website, surely?
And if she delivers on my permanent weeding hoe, she's guaranteed to
become a gazillionnaire, and even more worthwhile, my eternal
gratitude ;-)

Cat(h) (so lighten up a smidgen, eh?)

Old 04-10-2007, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
says...

Both Java Applets and JavaScript are supposed to be properly sandboxed.

[1] sandboxed - confined to using a reduced set of the capabilities of
your computer so that it can do any harm if it is maliciously or
incompetently programmed.

[2] buffer overrun attack - in an insufficiently defensively programmed
piece of software a malicious user can write, say, 110 characters where
only 100 is allowed for. This overwrites other data; depending on what
the data is it can have severe effects.

[3] exploit - a means of defeating the security features of a computer.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

I always browse with JavaScript disabled. I read a few months ago of a
security expert demonstrating that it is possible to create a scenario
whereby control can break out beyond the sand box. I don't know if
exploits of this are out in the wild yet, but apparently the exploit was
impossible to block as the attack was constructed with simple standard
JavaScript (just used in an unconventional way). The "fix" would
apparently render JavaScript useless.

This of course means that if you simply visit the wrong web site with
JavaScript enabled, then you have handed the keys of your computer to
someone else, who can do or plant whatever malware they like on your
computer. This security breach will still happen on fully patched
Windows systems with up to date firewall and anti-virus software. To
make matters worse, apparently with cross-site scripting the malware can
even be put onto your system via "legitimate" web sites too.

I'm beginning to think that two (none-networked) computers are necessary
nowadays. One for browsing the web in general and one for accessing
online bank accounts or other sensitive sites.
--
David in Normandy.
(The free MicroPlanet Gravity newsreader is great for eliminating

Old 04-10-2007, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message . com,
"Cat(h)" writes
And if she delivers on my permanent weeding hoe, she's guaranteed to
become a gazillionnaire, and even more worthwhile, my eternal
gratitude ;-)

A how with a reservoir (which you can fill up with glyphosate solution)
which is connected to the working surface by capillary tubes?

I suspect that getting the delivery rate correct (and efficient) is
non-trivial, and that there's likely to be a problem with the delivery
tubes getting clogged at the outlet end.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
says...
Obviously it depended on the job. A Mike mentioned, a cleaner would not
be eliminated on the basis of their spelling. Though, it could lead to
signs on the toilet doors saying "Bog is art a horder" :-)

And why miss out on such poetry?

I had 5 attempts to unravel that one - got there finally!

Once I saw a white van with the lettering "Garden Maintinince" or
similar spelling error. I couldn't help wondering if it was accidental
or like the badly spelled sign outside Arkwright's (Ronny Barker's) shop
- there as a lure to get people through the door so he could sell them
something.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 4, 1:24 pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message . com,
"Cat(h)" writes

And if she delivers on my permanent weeding hoe, she's guaranteed to
become a gazillionnaire, and even more worthwhile, my eternal
gratitude ;-)

A how with a reservoir (which you can fill up with glyphosate solution)
which is connected to the working surface by capillary tubes?

I suspect that getting the delivery rate correct (and efficient) is
non-trivial, and that there's likely to be a problem with the delivery
tubes getting clogged at the outlet end.

I'm being rather more challenging than that: I want *permanent* weed
removal. As in pluck once in a lifetime. As in creeping-buttercup-
begone-never-to-be-seen-again. As in total weed sterility (with
perfect wanted plant fruitfulness, of course).
I wonder if the laser technology for unwanted hair removal could be
adapted...
Hey, I may as well dream here as elsewhere?

Cat(h)

Old 04-10-2007, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin writes:

| Sounds like a VAX. Instead of soap, put roundup in it.
|
| or VMS.

Now, that is getting a bit too geekish :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nick Maclaren says...

In article ,
Martin writes:

| Sounds like a VAX. Instead of soap, put roundup in it.
|
| or VMS.

Now, that is getting a bit too geekish :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

DEC VAX VMS. Sweet memories of a "proper" operating system.

I swear more than half the contributors to this group are either current
or ex IT.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/10/07 12:51, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| And I suppose it's possible that part of the brief from her course was to
| design a page using all the bolt-on goodies.

It wouldn't be the first time that I have felt a deep desire for a
few minutes alone with a course supervisor, in a dark alley, with me
carrying my industrial strength cluestick.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

;-))

--