GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Something is digging up my bulbs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/165693-something-digging-up-my-bulbs.html)

Bob H 07-10-2007 11:56 AM

Something is digging up my bulbs

I planted some daff and tulip bulbs last weekend in various pots and
planters, but now I have noticed that they are being dug up and taken.

What animal does this and how can I stop it.

Thanks

Sacha 07-10-2007 12:57 PM

Something is digging up my bulbs

On 7/10/07 11:56, in article , "Bob H"
wrote:

I planted some daff and tulip bulbs last weekend in various pots and
planters, but now I have noticed that they are being dug up and taken.

What animal does this and how can I stop it.

Thanks

Squirrels, probably. Put some small gauge wire mesh over the pots and make
sure it goes right over and underneath them.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Mogga 07-10-2007 02:21 PM

Something is digging up my bulbs

wrote:

I planted some daff and tulip bulbs last weekend in various pots and
planters, but now I have noticed that they are being dug up and taken.

What animal does this and how can I stop it.

Thanks

Squirrels, probably. Put some small gauge wire mesh over the pots and make
sure it goes right over and underneath them.

Agreed - squirrels almost certainly.
Try putting some chilies in the soil in a plant pot and seeing if that
cures them.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Bob Hobden 07-10-2007 04:23 PM

Something is digging up my bulbs

"Mogga" wrote
Sacha wrote:
"Bob H"wrote:

I planted some daff and tulip bulbs last weekend in various pots and
planters, but now I have noticed that they are being dug up and taken.

What animal does this and how can I stop it.

Squirrels, probably. Put some small gauge wire mesh over the pots and
make
sure it goes right over and underneath them.

Agreed - squirrels almost certainly.
Try putting some chilies in the soil in a plant pot and seeing if that
cures them.

Yes ,certainly squirrels at this time of year, they are also digging up
plants in our pots to bury nuts.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Bob H 07-10-2007 08:20 PM

Something is digging up my bulbs

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Mogga" wrote
Sacha wrote:
"Bob H"wrote:
I planted some daff and tulip bulbs last weekend in various pots and
planters, but now I have noticed that they are being dug up and taken.

What animal does this and how can I stop it.

Squirrels, probably. Put some small gauge wire mesh over the pots and
make
sure it goes right over and underneath them.

Agreed - squirrels almost certainly.
Try putting some chilies in the soil in a plant pot and seeing if that
cures them.

Yes ,certainly squirrels at this time of year, they are also digging up
plants in our pots to bury nuts.

Thanks all for your replies. I guessed it may be squirrels because we do
get them running up and down our garden fence. Strangley tho' this is
the first time I have seen this. The digging up of bulbs, that is.

Alan Holmes[_2_] 08-10-2007 03:15 PM

Something is digging up my bulbs

"Bob H" wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Mogga" wrote
Sacha wrote:
"Bob H"wrote:
I planted some daff and tulip bulbs last weekend in various pots and
planters, but now I have noticed that they are being dug up and taken.

What animal does this and how can I stop it.

Squirrels, probably. Put some small gauge wire mesh over the pots and
make
sure it goes right over and underneath them.
Agreed - squirrels almost certainly.
Try putting some chilies in the soil in a plant pot and seeing if that
cures them.

Yes ,certainly squirrels at this time of year, they are also digging up
plants in our pots to bury nuts.

Thanks all for your replies. I guessed it may be squirrels because we do
get them running up and down our garden fence. Strangley tho' this is the
first time I have seen this. The digging up of bulbs, that is.

There is only one solution, that is to catch the buggers and kill them!

BAC 08-10-2007 08:39 PM

Something is digging up my bulbs

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Bob H" wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Mogga" wrote
Sacha wrote:
"Bob H"wrote:
[...]

There is only one certain solution, and that is to stop planting bulbs which
attract the attention of squirrels.