Old 09-10-2007, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My Dog Keeps Killing My Lawn

"Mark Woodcock" wrote in message

Can anyone help me with a solution to my lawn problem. My dog keeps
urinating on my lawn (better than in the house) but as a result the
grass discolours in this area a few days later and I end up with a very
patchy lawn.

I dont want to stop my dog going out but I want a beautiful lawn as
well.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do about this problem?

Thanks

Mark

--
Mark Woodcock

add tomato juice to his feed it should prevent the burning ( I suggest you
google it for quantities).
Derek

Old 09-10-2007, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mark Woodcock wrote:
Thanks for all your replies. Dont think I will be throwing any water
on my dog though!!

I dont have a large garden and there really is no other option than
for her to go on the grass.

She will often go out unsupervised so I dont always know where she has
gone.

I suppose I was looking for something that I could maybe put on the
grass as either a treatment after the event or something that I could
treat the grass with that would stop the discolouring in the first
place.

I have heard about something that you can put in a dogs water that
helps with this problem but I would rather treat the grass than the
dog.

Mark

It is the high concentration of urea/uric acid in the dog's urine that is
killing the grass. The effect is more noticible with bitches than dogs as
they, the bitches, dump their load in the one place. Just dilute the urine
with a bucket of water or the hose as soon as the deed has been done, this
will reduce if not negate the effect and the diluted urine will act as a
high nitrogen fertilizer thus feeding the lawn.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mark Woodcock" wrote in message

Can anyone help me with a solution to my lawn problem. My dog keeps
urinating on my lawn (better than in the house) but as a result the
grass discolours in this area a few days later and I end up with a very
patchy lawn.

I dont want to stop my dog going out but I want a beautiful lawn as
well.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do about this problem?
Thanks Mark

Fence of an area for him/her to use......
Jenny

Old 10-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Registered User

i've been giving my dog green-um tablets since he was a pup, seems to help, although we still get some yellow patches.
i may try the tomato juice thing myself !
Old 11-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Registered User

Location: York, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Woodcock View Post
Thanks for all your replies. Dont think I will be throwing any water on my dog though!!

I dont have a large garden and there really is no other option than for her to go on the grass.

She will often go out unsupervised so I dont always know where she has gone.

I suppose I was looking for something that I could maybe put on the grass as either a treatment after the event or something that I could treat the grass with that would stop the discolouring in the first place.

I have heard about something that you can put in a dogs water that helps with this problem but I would rather treat the grass than the dog.

Mark
You can get a product called lawn rescue from pet shops, but you have to spray this onto the areas where the dog has urinated. Never used it so I don't know how effective it is and you also have the same problem as with watering the area if you don't know where she's been. May be worth a try though if you spray the areas as soon as they start to go brown.
You will probably have to resort to overseeding the patches as and when necessary.
Keeping the lawn well fertilised (and mown) will help even out the colour and aid recovery.
__________________
Helen

-----------------------------

http://www.rolawn.co.uk

Old 12-10-2007, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 16:26:45 +0100, Mark Woodcock
wrote:

Can anyone help me with a solution to my lawn problem. My dog keeps
urinating on my lawn (better than in the house) but as a result the
grass discolours in this area a few days later and I end up with a very
patchy lawn.

I dont want to stop my dog going out but I want a beautiful lawn as
well.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do about this problem?

Train him to wee on your compost heap?

JD

Old 12-10-2007, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Malcolm wrote:
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/shop_stor...ost_p4003.html

Only for male dogs which lift their legs against things like posts,
trees, etc. Female dogs squat to pee.

Well spotted ;o)

Old 13-10-2007, 07:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mark Woodcock wrote:
Can anyone help me with a solution to my lawn problem. My dog keeps
urinating on my lawn (better than in the house) but as a result the
grass discolours in this area a few days later and I end up with a very
patchy lawn.

I dont want to stop my dog going out but I want a beautiful lawn as
well.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do about this problem?

Thanks

Mark

I see Gardener's World picked up on this one last night (again). In
their opinion the only simple solution is immediate and copious amounts
of water, literally within seconds of the offence. Otherwise you're
heading for a bald patch. Titchy did show how to replace the bald patch
though. If this happens to you a lot you will need a good supply of turf
for patching. :-)

Regards

--
Alan Johnson, Geotr@ns
www.geotrans-online.de
Old 13-10-2007, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan Johnson wrote:

I see Gardener's World picked up on this one last night (again). In
their opinion the only simple solution is immediate and copious amounts
of water, literally within seconds of the offence. Otherwise you're
heading for a bald patch. Titchy did show how to replace the bald patch
though. If this happens to you a lot you will need a good supply of turf
for patching. :-)

Sorry, it wasn't GW, it was Alan Titchmarsh's new proggy, How to be a
Gardener.

Regards

Old 13-10-2007, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/10/07 07:12, in article , "Alan
Johnson" wrote:

Mark Woodcock wrote:
Can anyone help me with a solution to my lawn problem. My dog keeps
urinating on my lawn (better than in the house) but as a result the
grass discolours in this area a few days later and I end up with a very
patchy lawn.

I dont want to stop my dog going out but I want a beautiful lawn as
well.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do about this problem?

Thanks

Mark

I see Gardener's World picked up on this one last night (again). In
their opinion the only simple solution is immediate and copious amounts
of water, literally within seconds of the offence. Otherwise you're heading
for a bald patch.

Well, I did say so..... ;-) Wonder if the water treatment works on men's
heads?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Dog Worms: Understand Dog Worms Symptoms and Infestation brahimbb17 Gardening 0 10-12-2008 12:17 PM
dog wee killing my lawn Biller Lawns 7 12-06-2004 01:06 AM
dog killing the lawn Phill Lee Lawns 2 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
dog killing the lawn Phill Lee Australia 10 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
dog killing the lawn Phill Lee Lawns 2 28-12-2002 02:15 PM