GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cuttings (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/165854-cuttings.html)

Gringo 15-10-2007 01:49 PM

Cuttings

I am trying to develop some cuttings from bushes and shrubs, I don't know the names of them all, but some are fuchias, I have a greenhouse.
When is the best time to take the cuttings and what are the step by step guidelines
I live in the North West of England

All help would be appreciated

Scotkat 16-10-2007 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gringo (Post 754341)
I am trying to develop some cuttings from bushes and shrubs, I don't know the names of them all, but some are fuchias, I have a greenhouse.
When is the best time to take the cuttings and what are the step by step guidelines
I live in the North West of England

All help would be appreciated

Hello Gringo most shrubs are easy to root and certainly fuchsias but the best time for me with my fuchsias has been July or August when my fuchsias are lush and take tip cuttings.

I find now that shrubs are now woody stems as with fuchsias.

I have tray of Albertina fuchsia cuttings taken from a tip and are now nice fuchsia plants ready to grow on to 4"pots.

Fuchsias root after about 3weeks.

Good luck hope you have a success with your cuttings.

Janet Tweedy 16-10-2007 04:22 PM

Cuttings

In article , Scotkat
writes

Fuchsias root after about 3weeks.

Good luck hope you have a success with your cuttings.

Will they necessarily get through winter if they aren't big enough?
I try to get small plants by this time of the year as often very small
cuttings won't live until the spring. They often damp off.
Mind you I am using a coldish greenhouse with a heater on 5c only

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph