GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fig bount! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/165902-fig-bount.html)

Sacha 17-10-2007 02:12 PM

Fig bount!

Ray has just brought in a 3l. plant pot half filled with ripe figs. The
other half has gone to one of the family!
We have friends coming to dinner tomorrow night and I'm going to make the
following recipe but wonder what others do to cook figs?

Roast Figs with Cinnamon, Thyme and Honey by Tamasin Day Lewis

€ Servings: 6
€ Level of difficulty: Easy
€ Preparation Time: 20 minutes
€ Cooking Time: 20 minutes, plus standing
Ingredients
€ 3 tbsp clear honey, such as orange blossom or acacia
€ walnut-sized knob of Butter
€ 1 tbsp orange liqueur
€ 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
€ 12 ripe figs
€ 1 tsp Thyme

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.

2. Put the honey, butter, liqueur and cinnamon in a small saucepan. Heat
gently, stirring, until liquid.

3. Using a small, sharp knife, make a cut like a cross in the top of each
fig, cutting almost down to the base.

4. Place them upright in a roasting pan, splaying them out shamelessly as
you go. Pour the liquid over each one. Roast for 15 minutes.

5. Sprinkle a bit of thyme over each fig. Return to the oven, switch it off,
leaving the door ajar. Leave the figs in the oven for 5-10 minutes before
serving.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

p.k.[_2_] 17-10-2007 03:05 PM

Fig bount!

Sacha wrote:
Ray has just brought in a 3l. plant pot half filled with ripe figs.
The other half has gone to one of the family!
We have friends coming to dinner tomorrow night and I'm going to make
the following recipe but wonder what others do to cook figs?

Halve vertically

Grill gently -more warming through than full cooking, you want to be able to
pick up with fingers

Top with teaspoon of caramelised onion* & slice of goats cheese

Grill till cheese is soft.

Eat hot or cold - great as a tapas or with pre dinner drinks

*DiY or Waitrose see scummy jars by "the bay tree"

Waitrose mag did that as a starter with salad leaves a month or few ago

pk

Cat(h) 17-10-2007 03:45 PM

Fig bount!

On Oct 17, 2:12Â*pm, Sacha wrote:
Ray has just brought in a 3l. plant pot half filled with ripe figs. Â*The
other half has gone to one of the family!
We have friends coming to dinner tomorrow night and I'm going to make the
following recipe but wonder what others do to cook figs?

Roast Figs with Cinnamon, Thyme and Honey by Tamasin Day Lewis

Â* Â* € Â* Â*Servings: 6
Â* Â* € Â* Â*Level of difficulty: Easy
Â* Â* € Â* Â*Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Â* Â* € Â* Â*Cooking Time: 20 minutes, plus standing
Ingredients
Â* Â* € Â* Â*3 tbsp clear honey, such as orange blossom or acacia
Â* Â* € Â* Â*walnut-sized knob of Butter
Â* Â* € Â* Â*1 tbsp orange liqueur
Â* Â* € Â* Â*1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Â* Â* € Â* Â*12 ripe figs
Â* Â* € Â* Â*1 tsp Thyme

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.

2. Put the honey, butter, liqueur and cinnamon in a small saucepan. Heat
gently, stirring, until liquid.

3. Using a small, sharp knife, make a cut like a cross in the top of each
fig, cutting almost down to the base.

4. Place them upright in a roasting pan, splaying them out shamelessly as
you go. Pour the liquid over each one. Roast for 15 minutes.

5. Sprinkle a bit of thyme over each fig. Return to the oven, switch it off,
leaving the door ajar. Leave the figs in the oven for 5-10 minutes before
serving.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

Try this for a nice pre-dinner-with-drinks nibble:

Slice really good quality baguette and toast lightly (ideally a good
pain de campagne, but relatively narrow in girth - think canape, not
bruschetta)
Cover with a thinish slice of goats cheese (slice off a log)
Cover with half a hyper ripe fig - cut side up
Drizzle a little runny honey
Put under grill till cheese goldens and bubbles
Serve right away

Cat(h)

Robert \(Plymouth\)[_64_] 17-10-2007 04:22 PM

Fig bount!

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Ray has just brought in a 3l. plant pot half filled with ripe figs. The
other half has gone to one of the family!
We have friends coming to dinner tomorrow night and I'm going to make the
following recipe but wonder what others do to cook figs?

Far too nice to cook , we ate our crop as they ripened. Some were even
warmed by the sun .... but not a lot!

Sacha 17-10-2007 04:25 PM

Fig bount!

On 17/10/07 15:46, in article ,
"Jennifer Sparkes" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Ray has just brought in a 3l. plant pot half filled with ripe figs. The
other half has gone to one of the family!
We have friends coming to dinner tomorrow night and I'm going to make the
following recipe but wonder what others do to cook figs?

Lovely, have saved it.

Edward's favourite was to inject them with cointreau and serve with
thick cream! ;)))

Jennifer

WHAT a surprise!! That's a bit like what I call 'dirty bananas'. I bake
them in the oven (not in foil) until the skins go black then each person
slits their own banana with the tine of their fork, and pours in rum and
cream. The skin acts as the perfect dish, retaining all the lovely mingled
flavours and juices.

Sacha 17-10-2007 04:26 PM

Fig bount!

On 17/10/07 15:45, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:
snip Try this for a nice pre-dinner-with-drinks nibble:

Slice really good quality baguette and toast lightly (ideally a good
pain de campagne, but relatively narrow in girth - think canape, not
bruschetta)
Cover with a thinish slice of goats cheese (slice off a log)
Cover with half a hyper ripe fig - cut side up
Drizzle a little runny honey
Put under grill till cheese goldens and bubbles
Serve right away

Cat(h)

Thanks to you all - mouth watering, I must say. I'll use them as a starter
on Sunday when we have someone else coming over.

Sacha 17-10-2007 04:41 PM

Fig bount!

On 17/10/07 16:22, in article ,
"Robert (Plymouth)" remove my other
hobby to reply wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Ray has just brought in a 3l. plant pot half filled with ripe figs. The
other half has gone to one of the family!
We have friends coming to dinner tomorrow night and I'm going to make the
following recipe but wonder what others do to cook figs?

Far too nice to cook , we ate our crop as they ripened. Some were even
warmed by the sun .... but not a lot!

If we ate this lot.........! ;-)

K 17-10-2007 05:44 PM

Fig bount!

Steve Wolstenholme writes
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:12:40 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

We have friends coming to dinner tomorrow night and I'm going to make the
following recipe but wonder what others do to cook figs?

I haven't cooked figs for a long time but I use to stick them in hot
oven for a few minutes and serve them when they were still very hot.

I went off figs when I read about the way they are pollinated.

You're OK with UK grown ones - we don't have the wasps. They're not
pollinated
--
Kay

p.k.[_2_] 17-10-2007 07:34 PM

Fig bount!

Steve Wolstenholme wrote:

I went off figs when I read about the way they are pollinated.

Why?

pk

Des Higgins 17-10-2007 08:03 PM

Fig bount!

On Oct 17, 3:46 pm, Jennifer Sparkes wrote:
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Ray has just brought in a 3l. plant pot half filled with ripe figs. The
other half has gone to one of the family!
We have friends coming to dinner tomorrow night and I'm going to make the
following recipe but wonder what others do to cook figs?

Lovely, have saved it.

Edward's favourite was to inject them with cointreau and serve with
thick cream! ;)))

Jennifer

I would like to be injected with Cointreau and served with thick
cream.

K 17-10-2007 11:07 PM

Fig bount!

p.k. writes
Steve Wolstenholme wrote:

I went off figs when I read about the way they are pollinated.

Why?

The flowers are inside what we know as the fig. They are pollinated by
wasps which enter the fig, and the fig and the wasps have co-evolved
into an intricate interweaving of life stages, whereby the fig produces
I think 3 different types of flower in the year, to adapt to different
stages of the wasp lifecycle. If I remember correctly, at one stage the
male wasps live their whole life in the fig ... but it is very
complicated and I may be misremembering.
--
Kay

Pam Moore 17-10-2007 11:22 PM

Fig bount!

wrote:

Ray has just brought in a 3l. plant pot half filled with ripe figs. The
other half has gone to one of the family!

Lucky you!
I have over a dozen figs still on my plant, all only about walnut
size, hard and green. Is there anything I can do with them? Do they
stand a chance of ripening now? Will they ripen indoors if picked?
Otherwise, I shall just have to sacrifice them and hope for more
sunshine next summer.

Pam in Bristol

Des Higgins 18-10-2007 07:44 AM

Fig bount!

On Oct 17, 3:46 pm, Jennifer Sparkes wrote:
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Ray has just brought in a 3l. plant pot half filled with ripe figs. The
other half has gone to one of the family!
We have friends coming to dinner tomorrow night and I'm going to make the
following recipe but wonder what others do to cook figs?

Lovely, have saved it.

Edward's favourite was to inject them with cointreau and serve with
thick cream! ;)))

Jennifer

I like that; I may even skip the figs (inject me with Cointreau and
serve me with thick cream).

Des

Sacha 18-10-2007 09:57 AM

Fig bounty!

wrote:

Ray has just brought in a 3l. plant pot half filled with ripe figs. The
other half has gone to one of the family!

Lucky you!
I have over a dozen figs still on my plant, all only about walnut
size, hard and green. Is there anything I can do with them? Do they
stand a chance of ripening now? Will they ripen indoors if picked?
Otherwise, I shall just have to sacrifice them and hope for more
sunshine next summer.

Pam in Bristol

I wouldn't be hopeful, Pam. I think they sound too tiny to ripen. I think
we must hope for more sun next year. And Ray tells me that I was wrong
about which fig tree we have these fruits from. The ones he picked *are*
Brown Turkey and the one in our courtyard is Brunswick. Brown Turkey is 'up
the field' and has a lot of sunshine, while Brunswick gets the warmth of the
courtyard wall and paving but is in shade some of the day.

Mogga 18-10-2007 09:58 AM

Fig bount!

wrote:

Ray has just brought in a 3l. plant pot half filled with ripe figs. The
other half has gone to one of the family!

Lucky you!
I have over a dozen figs still on my plant, all only about walnut
size, hard and green. Is there anything I can do with them? Do they
stand a chance of ripening now? Will they ripen indoors if picked?
Otherwise, I shall just have to sacrifice them and hope for more
sunshine next summer.

Pam in Bristol

Waitrose site seems to say not.

I read the other week that only 14 fruits don't ripen once you've
picked them... Anyone got a list?

Found: Fruits that don't ripen further at home include berries, citrus
fruit, grapes, and pineapples and figs...
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free