GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Chinese Virginia Creeper- restraing growth of (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/166016-chinese-virginia-creeper-restraing-growth.html)

VX 20-10-2007 03:16 PM

Chinese Virginia Creeper- restraing growth of

I'm wondering about growing the Chinese Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus
Henryana) on a fence that is only 6 feet high. I've read that its ultimate
height & spread would be 10m x 6m.Is it feasible to direct its growth
sideways rather than upwards and trim it back if it and where it insists on
growing above the desired height? I know climbers vary in what they'll
happily allow you to do to them and I don't want to be fighting it if this
really isn't suitable.

Any advice appreciated.
--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 20-10-2007 06:03 PM

Chinese Virginia Creeper- restraing growth of

In article m,
says...
I'm wondering about growing the Chinese Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus
Henryana) on a fence that is only 6 feet high. I've read that its ultimate
height & spread would be 10m x 6m.Is it feasible to direct its growth
sideways rather than upwards and trim it back if it and where it insists on
growing above the desired height? I know climbers vary in what they'll
happily allow you to do to them and I don't want to be fighting it if this
really isn't suitable.

Any advice appreciated.

Its very well behaved and no problem to remove unwanted stems, mine
prefers going sideways to going up.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk