GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cabbage question (non heading variety) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/166039-cabbage-question-non-heading-variety.html)

George.com 19-10-2007 01:06 PM

Cabbage question (non heading variety)

Kia ora

I have a cabbage question someone may be able to help me with. A workmate
gave me some broccoli seed he termed "romanesco" which I duly planted. Some
the the seed produced ok, no central floret but dozens of little florets off
a number of stems.

Some of the 'broccoli' plants have produced no florets at all. There is a
central stem and large cabbage type leaves all the way up the stem. I now
wonder whether in with the broccoli seed I got some type of cabbage seed as
well?

It is not cabbage as I know it, the tightly headed variety. I understand the
origin of cabbage was an open leaf variety dubbed Romano in various places.

Can anyone give me some direction here on what I may have? Google search has
not shown me anything. Many thanks.

Rob

ps I have given a couple of the 'cabbages' to the neighbours to try so I
will find out in due time whether they are edible or not.

George.com 20-10-2007 09:03 AM

Cabbage question (non heading variety)

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"George.com" writes:

| Some of the 'broccoli' plants have produced no florets at all. There is

| central stem and large cabbage type leaves all the way up the stem. I

now
| wonder whether in with the broccoli seed I got some type of cabbage

seed as
| well?
|
| It is not cabbage as I know it, the tightly headed variety. I

understand the
| origin of cabbage was an open leaf variety dubbed Romano in various

places.

| Can anyone give me some direction here on what I may have? Google

search has
| not shown me anything. Many thanks.

Look up "kale", "collard greens" and so on. There are lots of such
non-heading varieties of cabbage, and it is correct that the original
ones were like that.

| ps I have given a couple of the 'cabbages' to the neighbours to try so

| will find out in due time whether they are edible or not.

Nothing like using your neighbours for dangerous experiments :-)

Yes, they are edible.

thanks Nick. I investigated Kale but couldn't find a decent explaination.
I'll have a squiz @ collards. The neighbours will be pleased they are
edible. The rest are coming out to make space for some sweet potatos as soon
as I can find homes for them.

rob

George.com 20-10-2007 09:41 AM

"George.com" writes:

| Some of the 'broccoli' plants have produced no florets at all. There

is
| central stem and large cabbage type leaves all the way up the stem. I

now
| wonder whether in with the broccoli seed I got some type of cabbage

seed as
| well?
|
| It is not cabbage as I know it, the tightly headed variety. I

understand the
| origin of cabbage was an open leaf variety dubbed Romano in various

places.

| Can anyone give me some direction here on what I may have? Google

search has
| not shown me anything. Many thanks.

Look up "kale", "collard greens" and so on. There are lots of such
non-heading varieties of cabbage, and it is correct that the original
ones were like that.

| ps I have given a couple of the 'cabbages' to the neighbours to try

so
| will find out in due time whether they are edible or not.

Nothing like using your neighbours for dangerous experiments :-)

Yes, they are edible.

thanks Nick. I investigated Kale but couldn't find a decent explaination.
I'll have a squiz @ collards. The neighbours will be pleased they are
edible. The rest are coming out to make space for some sweet potatos as

soon
as I can find homes for them.

rob

yes, very likely a collard green (tree cabbage) or a borecole. At least the
neighbours won't be chowing down on a non heading broccoli.

rob

Nick Maclaren 21-10-2007 08:42 AM

"George.com" writes:

| Some of the 'broccoli' plants have produced no florets at all. There is a
| central stem and large cabbage type leaves all the way up the stem. I now
| wonder whether in with the broccoli seed I got some type of cabbage seed as
| well?
|
| It is not cabbage as I know it, the tightly headed variety. I understand the
| origin of cabbage was an open leaf variety dubbed Romano in various places.
|
| Can anyone give me some direction here on what I may have? Google search has
| not shown me anything. Many thanks.

Look up "kale", "collard greens" and so on. There are lots of such
non-heading varieties of cabbage, and it is correct that the original
ones were like that.

| ps I have given a couple of the 'cabbages' to the neighbours to try so I
| will find out in due time whether they are edible or not.

Nothing like using your neighbours for dangerous experiments :-)

Yes, they are edible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Pam Moore 21-10-2007 10:41 PM

Cabbage question (non heading variety)

On 21 Oct 2007 07:42:16 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
"George.com" writes:

| Some of the 'broccoli' plants have produced no florets at all. There is a
| central stem and large cabbage type leaves all the way up the stem. I now
| wonder whether in with the broccoli seed I got some type of cabbage seed as
| well?

If it is purple sprouting broccoli which you planted they may not
start to sprout until the new year. I get my best crops after
Christmas. Don't give up yet.

Pam in Bristol

Sacha 21-10-2007 10:55 PM

Cabbage question (non heading variety)

On 21/10/07 22:41, in article ,
"Pam Moore" wrote:

On 21 Oct 2007 07:42:16 GMT,
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
"George.com" writes:

| Some of the 'broccoli' plants have produced no florets at all. There is a
| central stem and large cabbage type leaves all the way up the stem. I now
| wonder whether in with the broccoli seed I got some type of cabbage seed
as
| well?

If it is purple sprouting broccoli which you planted they may not
start to sprout until the new year. I get my best crops after
Christmas. Don't give up yet.

Pam in Bristol

Maybe the OP has this:
http://tinyurl.com/289l36
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

George.com 22-10-2007 03:44 AM

Cabbage question (non heading variety)

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 21/10/07 22:41, in article ,
"Pam Moore" wrote:

On 21 Oct 2007 07:42:16 GMT,
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
"George.com" writes:

| Some of the 'broccoli' plants have produced no florets at all. There

is a
| central stem and large cabbage type leaves all the way up the stem.

I now
| wonder whether in with the broccoli seed I got some type of cabbage

seed
as
| well?

If it is purple sprouting broccoli which you planted they may not
start to sprout until the new year. I get my best crops after
Christmas. Don't give up yet.

Pam in Bristol

Maybe the OP has this:
http://tinyurl.com/289l36
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

Thanks, it may be that, though I did get some purple sprouting broccoli out
of the same bunch of seed and they set quite a few weeks ago. It the
'cabbages' are indeed broccoli they are very very late coming through.
Either way, they come out for the sweet potatos. Its more the neighbours
stomachs I am now worried about. The reaction across the back fence will
tell me that in time.

rob