Old 23-10-2007, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Help with weed infection please

I have a number of beds in a "wild" lawn, I wish to keep the lawn this
way as I love to see what wild plants grow. However my beds are
becoming infested with a weed that spreads through its root system. I
suspect that when I clean the beds any little bit of root grows and
develops into plants, anyway, if not, it certainly spreads in from the
surrounding grassed area. Firstly can someone identify it please from
these photos? I have attempted but failed. Hangs head in shame.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...back/Weed1.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...back/Weed2.jpg

Secondly any suggestions for control? The only thing I can think of is
to edge the beds with a gravel path keeping that free from weeds with
weed killer, however maybe the roots would travel underneath the path.

Old 23-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadback View Post
I have a number of beds in a "wild" lawn, I wish to keep the lawn this
way as I love to see what wild plants grow. However my beds are
becoming infested with a weed that spreads through its root system. I
suspect that when I clean the beds any little bit of root grows and
develops into plants, anyway, if not, it certainly spreads in from the
surrounding grassed area. Firstly can someone identify it please from
these photos? I have attempted but failed. Hangs head in shame.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...back/Weed1.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...back/Weed2.jpg

Secondly any suggestions for control? The only thing I can think of is
to edge the beds with a gravel path keeping that free from weeds with
weed killer, however maybe the roots would travel underneath the path.
I had a similar problem with ground elder, I used glycophosphate sprayed on it and eventually it disappeared after about 3 sprayings 2 to 3 weeks apart.
However I'm sure someone here will give you better advice.
Old 23-10-2007, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have a number of beds in a "wild" lawn, I wish to keep the lawn this
way as I love to see what wild plants grow. However my beds are
becoming infested with a weed that spreads through its root system. I
suspect that when I clean the beds any little bit of root grows and
develops into plants, anyway, if not, it certainly spreads in from the
surrounding grassed area. Firstly can someone identify it please from
these photos? I have attempted but failed. Hangs head in shame.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...back/Weed1.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...back/Weed2.jpg

Secondly any suggestions for control? The only thing I can think of is
to edge the beds with a gravel path keeping that free from weeds with
weed killer, however maybe the roots would travel underneath the path.

Sheep's Sorrel http://tinyurl.com/2f9gcr

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 23-10-2007, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have a number of beds in a "wild" lawn, I wish to keep the lawn this
way as I love to see what wild plants grow. However my beds are
becoming infested with a weed that spreads through its root system. I
suspect that when I clean the beds any little bit of root grows and
develops into plants, anyway, if not, it certainly spreads in from the
surrounding grassed area. Firstly can someone identify it please from
these photos? I have attempted but failed. Hangs head in shame.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...back/Weed1.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...back/Weed2.jpg

Secondly any suggestions for control? The only thing I can think of is
to edge the beds with a gravel path keeping that free from weeds with
weed killer, however maybe the roots would travel underneath the path.

Sheep's Sorrel can be quite a nuisence but its close relative, the
Common Sorrel, is not so frequent in turf. They will only survive in
acid conditions, but liming is not the answer. Use a weedkiller and
feed regularly to control them.

I think that it is Sheep's Sorrel that you have got, but also compare it
with Common Sorrel. The leaf of Sheep's Sorrel is arrow-shaped with
distinct spreading lobes at the base. Usually turns red in the summer.

The leaf of Common Sorrel is oblong with ears at the base. The lobes
point downwards. Turns red in late summer.

Any product containing MCPA or 2, 4-D (If still available) will see them
off. Best to apply in late spring and repeat the treatment a month
later.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 23-10-2007, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have a number of beds in a "wild" lawn, I wish to keep the lawn this
way as I love to see what wild plants grow. However my beds are
becoming infested with a weed that spreads through its root system. I
suspect that when I clean the beds any little bit of root grows and
develops into plants, anyway, if not, it certainly spreads in from the
surrounding grassed area. Firstly can someone identify it please from
these photos? I have attempted but failed. Hangs head in shame.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...back/Weed1.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...back/Weed2.jpg

Secondly any suggestions for control? The only thing I can think of is
to edge the beds with a gravel path keeping that free from weeds with
weed killer, however maybe the roots would travel underneath the path.

A while back someone here mentioned a weedkiller for lawns called Verdun. I
gave it a try on a creeping weed in our lawn and was very impressed. It
cleared the lot leaving the lawn unharmed.

Old 23-10-2007, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/10/07 19:55, in article ,
"Emrys Davies" wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

I haven't tried this myself but Sheep's Sorrel is high in Vit C and is used
in salads. If you keep picking the leaves to add to salads, maybe that will
deal with the plant nature's way!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-10-2007, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

CWatters wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for you help everyone. As a youngster we used to chew on, I
think, what you call Sheep's Sorrel Sacha, but I do not remember it
looking like this, it had a long stalk, sour to chew, with a flower head
on the end. Maybe that is because they don't get the chance to develop
that far in my beds!
Old 24-10-2007, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 Oct, 10:05, Steve Wolstenholme
wrote:
It adds a very pleasant lemon flavour but too much will ruin a salad.
I use to grow it in a pot just for salads. Apparently it is slightly
toxic but I'm still alive!

We call it oseille, it's a rumex acetosa and also people call it sour
dock or spinash dock (not to be confused with dock nor wood sorrel
from the oxalidaceae family....). So many name for a fantastic little
plant. I've always cultivated sorrel, french one which I think is a
Belleville and is very lemony, and we love it, especially sorrel and
potato soup. It doesn't deserve chemicals at all. Nothing does
really. Broadback, you should try to enjoy it, make a little corner
for it and transplant some and take out the fugitif ones. If you want
a good south west of france recipe, you know where to find me ;o)

Old 24-10-2007, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
CWatters wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

Not certain but I am pretty sure that is is Sheep's Sorrel, I have had a
chew and it is not acidic, also it has those ears at the bottom of a
leaf the shape of a bishop's hat (forgotten the proper term). Off now to
casualty to get my stomach pumped! :-)
Old 24-10-2007, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/10/07 11:25, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

snip
Not certain but I am pretty sure that is is Sheep's Sorrel, I have had a
chew and it is not acidic, also it has those ears at the bottom of a
leaf the shape of a bishop's hat (forgotten the proper term). Off now to
casualty to get my stomach pumped! :-)

I was quite expecting it to be Something sagittifolia!

Staph infection LilAbner Lawns 0 21-07-2011 04:29 AM
Steve Parks is drinking again! Was Is my yeast infection permanent?!?!?! Bye Lawns 0 10-09-2006 12:03 AM
Rose prick infection Jack Gardening 12 08-08-2005 12:50 AM
Fungle infection, require advice jugglingeek Ponds 2 07-08-2005 08:37 PM