GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree seed pod...What is it? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/166152-tree-seed-pod-what.html)

nuttyred 24-10-2007 05:32 PM

Tree seed pod...What is it?

I have a seed pod from a tree, can anyone I.d it at all. I have never seen one before.

Here are the links for the photos of it:-

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...a/P1040014.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...a/P1040015.jpg

Dave Poole 24-10-2007 09:30 PM

Tree seed pod...What is it?

It is the seed pod of a Magnolia - probably M. x soulangiana or one of
its variants. Quaint aren't they?

Rod 25-10-2007 07:01 PM

Tree seed pod...What is it?

On 24 Oct, 21:30, Dave Poole wrote:
It is the seed pod of a Magnolia - probably M. x soulangiana or one of
its variants. Quaint aren't they?

Since we're on Magnolia seeds - Just before I retired I spent a lot of
time trying to buy a plant of M. obovata and got nowhere. So my
successor in the 'work garden' bought a packet of seeds from Chiltern
seeds this spring and sowed them. Against all my expectations they
nearly all germinated so we should have some in flower here in the
next decade or two. How are Magnolia seeds generally for germination?

Don H3 26-10-2007 03:43 PM

Tree seed pod...What is it?

On 25 Oct, 11:01, Rod wrote:
On 24 Oct, 21:30, Dave Poole wrote:

It is the seed pod of a Magnolia - probably M. x soulangiana or one of
its variants. Quaint aren't they?

Since we're on Magnolia seeds - Just before I retired I spent a lot of
time trying to buy a plant of M. obovata and got nowhere. So my
successor in the 'work garden' bought a packet of seeds from Chiltern
seeds this spring and sowed them. Against all my expectations they
nearly all germinated so we should have some in flower here in the
next decade or two. How are Magnolia seeds generally for germination?

I had that happen w/ my first attempt at
indoor container gardening:

100% of a packet germinated although the
label said "Do not expect more than 10%
to germinate."

The roots grew so entangled that every attempt
to separate/repot/thin them, killed them.

Now anything I plant is at least an inch from
anything else no matter what the label says.
And I have at least 7 empty pots where nothing
germinated.