Old 27-10-2007, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Suttons seeds

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Suttons Seed co. is up for sale for anyone with some spare cash!
http://tinyurl.com/3d6d7v

I think I have a spare fiver!

Old 27-10-2007, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message

My 10 y.o. grand-daughter thinks it incredibly funny that her Nana, who
can
tell at a glance exactly how many tiles will be needed for any
particular wall,
cannot for the life of her understand Sudoku... it's just totally defeats
me!

I cannot understand the interest in Sudoku at all, I am addicted to the
codewords.

I keep asking 'What is the _point_' of it! Crosswords, I absolutely love,
and
find them a worthwhile challenge...

Old 27-10-2007, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:33:13 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
Suttons Seed co. is up for sale for anyone with some spare cash!
http://tinyurl.com/3d6d7v

I think I have a spare fiver!

Buy yourself a lobotomy!
Old 28-10-2007, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25 Oct, 19:54, Sacha wrote:
On 25/10/07 15:17, in article
om, "Dave Hill"

wrote:
On 25 Oct, 13:51, "judith.lea" wrote:
On Oct 25, 1:38 pm, Sacha wrote:

Suttons Seed co. is up for sale for anyone with some spare
cash!http://tinyurl.com/3d6d7v

Will it come in a pictorial packet with instructions?

David Hill

Sad, though - end of an era etc.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

Very sad if Suttons comes to an end. If there is land involved then I
wouldn't be surprised Wyvale buys it. They seem to be buying up every
other brown site around. The propertiesd alone will be worth a fortune
as more houses are needed, but what happens to people wanting plants
and nice centres?

Old 28-10-2007, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com,
runner bean writes

Very sad if Suttons comes to an end. If there is land involved then I
wouldn't be surprised Wyvale buys it. They seem to be buying up every
other brown site around. The propertiesd alone will be worth a fortune
as more houses are needed, but what happens to people wanting plants
and nice centres?

Wouldn't Tesco under the alias of Dobbies, want to purchase it as well?
They are opening new garden centres (mostly take-overs) in the south at
least.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 28-10-2007, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
Suttons Seed co. is up for sale for anyone with some spare cash!
http://tinyurl.com/3d6d7v

I think I have a spare fiver!

When did they sell out to a French company then? Why on earth did a
French company want it anyway, haven't they got enough UK stuff with the
water boards? Seems to me you can't expect the same level of commitment
to UK base enterprises if you sell out to overseas investors. They only
see the balanced books.
Old 28-10-2007, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/10/07 09:54, in article
, "runner bean"
wrote:

On 25 Oct, 19:54, Sacha wrote:
On 25/10/07 15:17, in article
om, "Dave Hill"

On Oct 25, 1:38 pm, Sacha wrote:

Suttons Seed co. is up for sale for anyone with some spare
cash!
http://tinyurl.com/3d6d7v

Will it come in a pictorial packet with instructions?

David Hill

Sad, though - end of an era etc.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

Very sad if Suttons comes to an end. If there is land involved then I
wouldn't be surprised Wyvale buys it. They seem to be buying up every
other brown site around. The propertiesd alone will be worth a fortune
as more houses are needed, but what happens to people wanting plants
and nice centres?

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesco buy them up.

Old 28-10-2007, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 28, 9:59 am, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 02:54:55 -0700, runner bean
wrote:

On 25 Oct, 19:54, Sacha wrote:
On 25/10/07 15:17, in article
om, "Dave Hill"

On Oct 25, 1:38 pm, Sacha wrote:

Suttons Seed co. is up for sale for anyone with some spare
cash!http://tinyurl.com/3d6d7v

Will it come in a pictorial packet with instructions?

David Hill

Sad, though - end of an era etc.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

Very sad if Suttons comes to an end. If there is land involved then I
wouldn't be surprised Wyvale buys it. They seem to be buying up every
other brown site around. The propertiesd alone will be worth a fortune
as more houses are needed, but what happens to people wanting plants
and nice centres?

Locally garden centres are closing down all the time in Holland. There are none
left in the town we live in. The nearest one in the next village is going to
focus on garden design and selling garden furniture, and will no longer sell
plants. His plants were good, but his garden design isn't. It seems that more
and more people want plantless gardens.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

I don't know where you live in Holland but I have friends in Amsterdam
and Rotterdam and I found great garden centres/nurseries there,
although the last time I visited one was a few years ago so maybe
things have changed.

Judith

Old 28-10-2007, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 28, 11:21 am, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:13:21 -0000, "judith.lea"
wrote:

On Oct 28, 9:59 am, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 02:54:55 -0700, runner bean
wrote:

On 25 Oct, 19:54, Sacha wrote:
On 25/10/07 15:17, in article
om, "Dave Hill"

On Oct 25, 1:38 pm, Sacha wrote:

[...]

We live between Amsterdam and the Hague. Things have changed. There are a few
garden centres, but nowhere near as many as five years ago. The big ones
survive. The small and medium size ones have been closing. Similarly there are
derelict greenhouses all over the place.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

That would explain it as it must be at least five years since I was at
the Hague. O.T. I know but I loved the Rembrandt Museum at the Hague
and that small self portrait in oils where his eyes follow you
everywhere, genius.

Judith

Old 28-10-2007, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/10/07 11:04, in article , "Janet
Tweedy" wrote:

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Suttons Seed co. is up for sale for anyone with some spare cash!
http://tinyurl.com/3d6d7v

I think I have a spare fiver!

When did they sell out to a French company then? Why on earth did a
French company want it anyway, haven't they got enough UK stuff with the
water boards? Seems to me you can't expect the same level of commitment
to UK base enterprises if you sell out to overseas investors. They only
see the balanced books.

I think Vilmorin bought Suttons in 1994.

Old 28-10-2007, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 28, 11:41 am, Sacha wrote:
On 28/10/07 11:04, in article , "Janet

Tweedy" wrote:
In article , Alan Holmes
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...
Suttons Seed co. is up for sale for anyone with some spare cash!
http://tinyurl.com/3d6d7v

I think I have a spare fiver!

When did they sell out to a French company then? Why on earth did a
French company want it anyway, haven't they got enough UK stuff with the
water boards? Seems to me you can't expect the same level of commitment
to UK base enterprises if you sell out to overseas investors. They only
see the balanced books.

I think Vilmorin bought Suttons in 1994.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'- Hide quoted text -

Isn't that a French company Sacha?

Judith

Old 28-10-2007, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 28, 11:41 am, Sacha wrote:
I think Vilmorin bought Suttons in 1994.

You think? Or did you look at the link I've put several posts above?

Old 28-10-2007, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/10/07 11:59, in article
, "judith.lea"
wrote:

On Oct 28, 11:41 am, Sacha wrote:
On 28/10/07 11:04, in article , "Janet

Tweedy" wrote:
In article , Alan Holmes
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Suttons Seed co. is up for sale for anyone with some spare cash!
http://tinyurl.com/3d6d7v

I think I have a spare fiver!

When did they sell out to a French company then? Why on earth did a
French company want it anyway, haven't they got enough UK stuff with the
water boards? Seems to me you can't expect the same level of commitment
to UK base enterprises if you sell out to overseas investors. They only
see the balanced books.

I think Vilmorin bought Suttons in 1994.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'- Hide quoted text -

Isn't that a French company Sacha?

Judith

Yes and a very big one, too.
http://tinyurl.com/3dmgb8

Old 28-10-2007, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 25, 6:58 pm, Anne Jackson wrote:

Except that it started in Reading, which is in Berkshire...

It's now in Devon since 1976.

Suttons F1 Sungold Judith in England United Kingdom 6 10-04-2016 04:08 PM
Suttons Seeds Roger Tonkin United Kingdom 1 13-01-2011 02:47 PM
Suttons seeds K United Kingdom 1 30-05-2009 10:57 PM
Should I Order From Suttons ? Martin United Kingdom 0 30-10-2007 09:01 PM
Lavatera from Suttons Stewart Robert Hinsley United Kingdom 0 06-03-2004 09:46 PM