Old 28-10-2007, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Suttons seeds

On 28/10/07 16:02, in article , "Anne
Jackson" wrote:

The message from Sacha contains these
words:
"runner bean" wrote:
On 25 Oct, 19:54, Sacha wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote:
On 25 Oct, 13:51, "judith.lea" wrote:
On Oct 25, 1:38 pm, Sacha wrote:

Suttons Seed co. is up for sale for anyone with some spare
cash!
http://tinyurl.com/3d6d7v

Will it come in a pictorial packet with instructions?

Sad, though - end of an era etc.

Very sad if Suttons comes to an end. If there is land involved then I
wouldn't be surprised Wyvale buys it. They seem to be buying up every
other brown site around. The propertiesd alone will be worth a fortune
as more houses are needed, but what happens to people wanting plants
and nice centres?

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesco buy them up.

That would complement their acquisition of Dobbie's, certainly...

Apparently T&M is up for sale, too. Ray thinks that its present format was
the result of a management buy out.
Now I just wish that someone like Richard Branson would buy Little Chef and
turn them into really good roadside caffs like L'Arche in France! We ate
well at those and even got paper tray cloths into the bargain!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-10-2007, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
Ah - gifted teachers. I was lucky in that I had good English and French
teachers early on but absolutely terrible maths teachers. To this day I
can't do or understand Sudoku - it's another language to me and not one to
which I have the key. But because I had good *early* arithmetic teachers,
can add up at the speed of light!

Funny, but I hate crosswords especially those that don't give proper clues
whereas I love Sudoku, it's so logical. But then I was a slow starter at
reading, not interested as a kid, and only got interested when the Maths
teacher said "read the next chapter and do the questions at the end" ....
panic! :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 28-10-2007, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Sacha" wrote
Ah - gifted teachers. I was lucky in that I had good English and French
teachers early on but absolutely terrible maths teachers. To this day I
can't do or understand Sudoku - it's another language to me and not one to
which I have the key. But because I had good *early* arithmetic teachers,
can add up at the speed of light!

Sudoku is a puzzle of logic. The symbols can be any 9 distinct symbols -
the fact they are numbers doesn't make the puzzle mathemetical any more
than one would regard it as verbal if it used the letters A-I instead.

Killer sudoku, otoh, does require a certain facility with arithmetic
(though not mathematics) alongside logic.

--
Kay

Old 28-10-2007, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/10/07 18:17, in article , "K"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
Ah - gifted teachers. I was lucky in that I had good English and French
teachers early on but absolutely terrible maths teachers. To this day I
can't do or understand Sudoku - it's another language to me and not one to
which I have the key. But because I had good *early* arithmetic teachers,
can add up at the speed of light!

Sudoku is a puzzle of logic. The symbols can be any 9 distinct symbols -
the fact they are numbers doesn't make the puzzle mathemetical any more
than one would regard it as verbal if it used the letters A-I instead.

Killer sudoku, otoh, does require a certain facility with arithmetic
(though not mathematics) alongside logic.

For me, Sudoku is a bit like the slide rule. I have lost count of the times
people have tried to explain both to me and given it up as hopeless. I will
freely admit that I have an instinctive brain rather more than a logical
one, so I suppose that doesn't help in the first place! OTOH, I often see
the solution to a practical problem involving the use of time and resources
three steps ahead of the rest of the family. But I think that's probably
training-by-motherhood!
I simply don't understand how you get 'into' the whole Sudoku grid, make it
work etc. in the first place. But with crosswords, I often get an
instinctive leap to the answer and have to work out why it's right
afterwards. How *that* happens, I have no way of explaining. You have a
scientific brain, I'd say, I certainly don't.

Old 28-10-2007, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

Isn't that a French company Sacha?

Judith

Yes and a very big one, too.
http://tinyurl.com/3dmgb8

Was Sutton's a family concern before then?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 28-10-2007, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/10/07 20:08, in article , "Janet
Tweedy" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

Isn't that a French company Sacha?

Judith

Yes and a very big one, too.
http://tinyurl.com/3dmgb8

Was Sutton's a family concern before then?

Yes, it was founded in Reading in the 1830s by John Sutton as a family firm.

Old 29-10-2007, 01:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote:
The message from Sacha contains these
words:

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesco buy them up.

That would complement their acquisition of Dobbie's, certainly...

Apparently T&M is up for sale, too. Ray thinks that its present
format was
the result of a management buy out.
Now I just wish that someone like Richard Branson would buy Little
Chef and
turn them into really good roadside caffs like L'Arche in France! We ate
well at those and even got paper tray cloths into the bargain!

I did management training with the Forte organisation, many years
ago, with a view to working in one of their Little Chefs... their
idea, not mine! I just went looking for a job as a part-time waitress!

Didn't get offered a job at the end of it, though - I didn't 'fit in',
somehow! ;-)

Can't think why? Time for your take over bid, perhaps? ;-)

I absolutely refused to follow their guidelines on how long everything
should be cooked! *I* left everything until it was _properly_ cooked!

As for 'a portion of croutons is FIFTEEN croutons' well, I ignored that
too! Everyone got a spoonful - usually more than 15! If they thought
that I was going to stand and count out fifteen, every time someone
ordered soup, they had another think coming! 'A portion of chips is
eight ounces...'!! They were supposed to be weighed, as well!

As for the rest of their petty rules...e.g. 'a pancake must be exactly
twelve inches in diameter'!! Well, I ask you... do _you_ take a ruler
to your pancakes? ;-)

(Sorry for posting off-topic!)

Okay. You AND Richard Branson! And No, I don't take a ruler to my pancakes
- everyone else takes a shovel and fork. I make fabulous Yorkshire puddings
and awful pancakes. In fact, you've reminded I've got to work on those.

Old 29-10-2007, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

"Anne Jackson" wrote:
[...]

With people still asking about the origins of Suttons seeds I'll
repost the link to the company history
http://www.suttons.co.uk/History.htm

If I want a 12 inch pancake I use a 12 inch pan, for a 10 inch then a
10 inch pan and so on.
When did common sense die?

David Hill

Old 29-10-2007, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

With people still asking about the origins of Suttons seeds I'll
repost the link to the company history
http://www.suttons.co.uk/History.htm

If I want a 12 inch pancake I use a 12 inch pan, for a 10 inch then a
10 inch pan and so on.
When did common sense die?

I don't think it's dead, it's just not allowed because it isn't politically
correct.

Old 29-10-2007, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com, Dave
Hill writes

When did common sense die?

David Hill

The day before the last General Election

(sorry couldn't resist that one David)

Old 29-10-2007, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 29, 8:52 pm, Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from Anne Jackson contains these words:

The message from contains these words:
On Oct 25, 6:58 pm, Anne Jackson wrote:
Except that it started in Reading, which is in Berkshire...
It's now in Devon since 1976.

Rubbish! It's _still_ in Berkshire!
Why do you persist in giving misleading information, Helene?

LOL I realised after I posted this that you meant that
Sutton's Seeds are in Devon... I was talking about Reading... LOL

They do sometimes move county borders around, fools that they are!
Peterborough moved from Northamptonshire to Cambridgeshire at one time...

--
AnneJ

You may search my time-worn face,
You'll find a merry eye that twinkles.
I am NOT an old lady
Just a little girl with wrinkles!
- Edythe E. Bregnard

Never mind Anne, it's still in East Anglia, or was when I last looked

Judith

Suttons F1 Sungold Judith in England United Kingdom 6 10-04-2016 05:08 PM
Suttons Seeds Roger Tonkin United Kingdom 1 13-01-2011 03:47 PM
Suttons seeds K United Kingdom 1 30-05-2009 11:57 PM
Should I Order From Suttons ? Martin United Kingdom 0 30-10-2007 10:01 PM
Lavatera from Suttons Stewart Robert Hinsley United Kingdom 0 06-03-2004 10:46 PM