Old 25-10-2007, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Suttons seeds

Suttons Seed co. is up for sale for anyone with some spare cash!
http://tinyurl.com/3d6d7v

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-10-2007, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 25, 1:38 pm, Sacha wrote:
Suttons Seed co. is up for sale for anyone with some spare cash!http://tinyurl.com/3d6d7v

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

Really? I wonder why? Better not let Ray and Matthew see it!

Judith

Old 25-10-2007, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 25 Oct, 13:51, "judith.lea" wrote:
On Oct 25, 1:38 pm, Sacha wrote:

Suttons Seed co. is up for sale for anyone with some spare cash!http://tinyurl.com/3d6d7v

Will it come in a pictorial packet with instructions?

David Hill

Old 25-10-2007, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 25, 1:38 pm, Sacha wrote:

Suttons Seed co. is up for sale for anyone with some spare cash!http://tinyurl.com/3d6d7v

Will it come in a pictorial packet with instructions?

David Hill

If the number of emails and snail mail I get from them is anything to go
by they are bankrupt! ;-)
Old 25-10-2007, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25 Oct, 15:17, Dave Hill wrote:
Suttons Seed co. is up for sale for anyone with some spare cash!http://tinyurl.com/3d6d7v

Will it come in a pictorial packet with instructions?

))

Compare it with it's owner's site, Vilmorin below, and you can quickly
see that Sutton has very much kept to its formal post-war ways of
doing things, but so many things have changed in the world of
gardening since then, they simply are too old. I've never bought from
them. It would be a dream of mine to run a little business like that -
start from scratch and include lots of new things. I'm sure they'll be
ok and hope it's kept in Devon where it's started.

http://www.vilmorin-jardin.fr/

Old 25-10-2007, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 25 Oct, 15:51, wrote:
On 25 Oct, 15:17, Dave Hill wrote:

Suttons Seed co. is up for sale for anyone with some spare cash!http://tinyurl.com/3d6d7v

Will it come in a pictorial packet with instructions?

))

Compare it with it's owner's site, Vilmorin below, and you can quickly
see that Sutton has very much kept to its formal post-war ways of
doing things, but so many things have changed in the world of
gardening since then, they simply are too old. I've never bought from
them. It would be a dream of mine to run a little business like that -
start from scratch and include lots of new things. I'm sure they'll be
ok and hope it's kept in Devon where it's started.

http://www.vilmorin-jardin.fr/

Sorry but Suttons seeds started in reading and were there for most of
its existence really interesting read have a look at
http://www.suttons.co.uk/History.htm
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 25-10-2007, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/10/07 15:17, in article
, "Dave Hill"

On Oct 25, 1:38 pm, Sacha wrote:

Suttons Seed co. is up for sale for anyone with some spare
cash!
http://tinyurl.com/3d6d7v

Will it come in a pictorial packet with instructions?

David Hill

Sad, though - end of an era etc.

Old 25-10-2007, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/10/07 13:51, in article
, "judith.lea"
wrote:

On Oct 25, 1:38 pm, Sacha wrote:
Suttons Seed co. is up for sale for anyone with some spare
cash!
http://tinyurl.com/3d6d7v

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

Really? I wonder why? Better not let Ray and Matthew see it!

Judith

The very thought.......!

Old 25-10-2007, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 25, 7:58 pm, Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from contains these words:

I'm sure they'll be
ok and hope it's kept in Devon where it's started.

Except that it started in Reading, which is in Berkshire...

Hello AnneJ, you always, but always have facts to your fingertips,
does your name begin with Encly...... :-)) Hope everything is o.k.
with you and yours tonight.

Judith

Old 25-10-2007, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/10/07 22:39, in article , "Anne
Jackson" wrote:

The message from "judith.lea" contains
these words:

On Oct 25, 7:58 pm, Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from contains these words:

I'm sure they'll be
ok and hope it's kept in Devon where it's started.

Except that it started in Reading, which is in Berkshire...

Hello AnneJ, you always, but always have facts to your fingertips,
does your name begin with Encly...... :-)) Hope everything is o.k.
with you and yours tonight.

Sorry to post off-topic, everyone, but I just need to let well-wishers
know that my grandson still has a fever, and is still on antibiotics...

Early days, Anne. He's young and he's resilient. I do feel so deeply for
you - one of my children had to have a major op of a different sort and I'd
have given anything to have had it for them. Your grandson will get there .

You know, Judith, it occurred to me at a recent school reunion that
so much time was wasted at high school because not one of the teachers
managed to awaken in me a love of learning. That didn't come until
much, much later... I sometimes wonder what percentage of teachers
can actually _teach_ and how many merely regurgitate facts?

Ah - gifted teachers. I was lucky in that I had good English and French
teachers early on but absolutely terrible maths teachers. To this day I
can't do or understand Sudoku - it's another language to me and not one to
which I have the key. But because I had good *early* arithmetic teachers, I
can add up at the speed of light!

Old 26-10-2007, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/10/07 04:17, in article , "Anne
Jackson" wrote:

The message from Sacha contains these
words:
"Anne Jackson" wrote:
The message from "judith.lea" contains
these words:
On Oct 25, 7:58 pm, Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from contains these words:

I'm sure they'll be ok and hope it's kept in Devon where it's started.

Except that it started in Reading, which is in Berkshire...

Hello AnneJ, you always, but always have facts to your fingertips,
does your name begin with Encly...... :-)) Hope everything is o.k.
with you and yours tonight.

Sorry to post off-topic, everyone, but I just need to let well-wishers
know that my grandson still has a fever, and is still on antibiotics...

Early days, Anne. He's young and he's resilient. I do feel so deeply for
you - one of my children had to have a major op of a different sort and I'd
have given anything to have had it for them. Your grandson will get there.

I just wish Monday was over and done with. Martyn is a strapping lad,
and, heart problem aside, as healthy as they come, but I just worry so!
Never a good sleeper at the best of times, I scarcely get a wink of sleep
at present.

Worrying for our young never does stop. But his overall health otherwise is
hugely in his favour - really enormously so. It's a good thing this problem
has been detected and is being dealt with under controlled conditions of
choice.

You know, Judith, it occurred to me at a recent school reunion that
so much time was wasted at high school because not one of the teachers
managed to awaken in me a love of learning. That didn't come until
much, much later... I sometimes wonder what percentage of teachers
can actually _teach_ and how many merely regurgitate facts?

Ah - gifted teachers. I was lucky in that I had good English and French
teachers early on but absolutely terrible maths teachers. To this day I
can't do or understand Sudoku - it's another language to me and not one to
which I have the key. But because I had good *early* arithmetic teachers,
I can add up at the speed of light!

My 10 y.o. grand-daughter thinks it incredibly funny that her Nana, who can
tell at a glance exactly how many tiles will be needed for any
particular wall,
cannot for the life of her understand Sudoku... it's just totally defeats me!
I keep asking 'What is the _point_' of it! Crosswords, I absolutely love, and
find them a worthwhile challenge...

Yes, I enjoy crosswords and have started doing them again - rarely
completing them I must say! But my attitude to Sudoku is exactly like
yours. It's a bit like my attitude to wind-surfing - why bother!

Old 26-10-2007, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Anne Jackson
writes

Crosswords, I absolutely love, and
find them a worthwhile challenge...

I can do Suduko but it's an effort whereas crosswords are always fun. I
have a book of gardening crosswords that I adapt to put in the Gardening
club newsletter. Kay gave me the book years ago as a present.
One answer stumped everyone last year. pom pon dahlias! I had to check
the spelling in the end! I always thought it was pom pom

In the interest of staving off decrepitation of the cerebral kind I have
been playing those mind games for the PC. words and logic, no problem
but 3d awareness I cannot do easily for love nor money.
Same with gardening plans, I really can't imagine in 3d!

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 26-10-2007, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php

Thank you, I got to answer 6 and got confused with the question. No idea
how gears move when attached to others!! I joined the RAC instead

Old 27-10-2007, 12:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes

Some gave up when they realised they had to count the number of teeth
on cogs, I
almost did.

Oh I didn't mind that, I just couldn't understand a cog attached to
another cog on it's side.

Janet
Old 27-10-2007, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes

Some RAC men have the same problem :-)

How reassuring Martin!

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Suttons F1 Sungold Judith in England United Kingdom 6 10-04-2016 04:08 PM
Suttons Seeds Roger Tonkin United Kingdom 1 13-01-2011 02:47 PM
Suttons seeds K United Kingdom 1 30-05-2009 10:57 PM
Should I Order From Suttons ? Martin United Kingdom 0 30-10-2007 09:01 PM
Lavatera from Suttons Stewart Robert Hinsley United Kingdom 0 06-03-2004 09:46 PM