Old 27-10-2007, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sacha Hubbard

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Bob Hobden
writes

"Sacha" wrote
The press does look at newsgroups, believe me.

Am I the only none that notices things mentioned here that appear in
Gardeners World a couple of weeks later. Could be a co-incidence but it
happens too often IMO. Not that I watch it much these days, bring back
Percy.

I remember mentioning an unusual horse chestnut once and it appeared in
the Telegraph about three weeks later then in GW about 6 months ago! Me
first, me first ......................

You are surely not admitting to be a reader of the Telegraph?

Shame on you!

Old 27-10-2007, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 27, 2:43 pm, Gary Woods wrote:
It's raining pretty seriously in the Northeastern U.S., with our first

freeze predicted tomorrow night. I haven't even had a frost yet on my
hilltop.

I brought in all the tender plants and geraniums and put them in the
barn, it's a lovely day and hot enough to eat outside. The nights are
another matter, frost last night and snow flurries are predicted on
Sancy. not enough to lay, just a light dusting. Are you in New York
State Gary?

Judith

Old 27-10-2007, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"judith.lea" wrote:

Are you in New York
State Gary?

Yes; in the hills about 30 miles west of Albany; perhaps 180 miles west of
Boston (the American one). 1400 feet elevation, so a bit cooler than the
maps would indicate. That's a two-edged sword: my summers are a bit
cooler, but I usually get the first frost somewhat later than the valleys
below.

Old 27-10-2007, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 27, 3:24 pm, Gary Woods wrote:
"judith.lea" wrote:
Are you in New York
State Gary?

Yes; in the hills about 30 miles west of Albany; perhaps 180 miles west of
Boston (the American one). 1400 feet elevation, so a bit cooler than the
maps would indicate. That's a two-edged sword: my summers are a bit
cooler, but I usually get the first frost somewhat later than the valleys
below.

I know where you are, lovely countryside.

Judith

Old 27-10-2007, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:

Is that the Albany-new york of Clematis 'Betty Corning' fame?

Indeed yes; Erastus Corning was mayor through, I think, the late 70s. He
was a branch of the family that owned Corning Glass...old money (at least
for us; you folks have much older). The George Landis arboretum across the
valley from me has that Clematis. I keep meaning to snitch a cutting or
two, after making a suitable donation. Does that violate the "cuttings
will succeed only if stolen" rule?

Old 27-10-2007, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/10/07 00:45, in article , "Janet
Tweedy" wrote:

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

"Sacha" wrote
The press does look at newsgroups, believe me.

Am I the only none that notices things mentioned here that appear in
Gardeners World a couple of weeks later. Could be a co-incidence but it
happens too often IMO. Not that I watch it much these days, bring back
Percy.

I remember mentioning an unusual horse chestnut once and it appeared in
the Telegraph about three weeks later then in GW about 6 months ago! Me
first, me first ......................

Yes! Something I said on another group was quoted in the DT a few years
ago, giving my name. I don't know who wa more surprised - the people who
had been making libellous remarks or me, who had been refuting them!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Raymond |Hubbard Dave Hill United Kingdom 54 20-08-2009 10:56 PM
Raymond Hubbard (over 6', ex-Para and boxer) Sacha[_2_] United Kingdom 3 17-08-2009 06:13 PM
Sacha Hubbard James P United Kingdom 32 03-03-2009 07:42 PM
Hubbard squashes Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 2 08-04-2003 11:08 PM