GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Evergreen Climbers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/166236-evergreen-climbers.html)

Mo 27-10-2007 02:13 PM

Evergreen Climbers

Hello, All. I'm looking for recommendations for evergreen climbers to cover
the side wall of a brick garage. The plants are to go into 2 wooden
planters which are each about 2 feet wide by 4 feet long and about 2 feet in
depth, so the plants shouldn't be too invasive or vigorous. Ivy is an
obvious choice, but it might be too invasive? Is there anything else that
would do the job better?

Many thanks in advance.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 27-10-2007 03:44 PM

Evergreen Climbers

In article ,
says...
Hello, All. I'm looking for recommendations for evergreen climbers to cover
the side wall of a brick garage. The plants are to go into 2 wooden
planters which are each about 2 feet wide by 4 feet long and about 2 feet in
depth, so the plants shouldn't be too invasive or vigorous. Ivy is an
obvious choice, but it might be too invasive? Is there anything else that
would do the job better?

Many thanks in advance.

Which way is it facing and where are you? it makes a big difference.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

judith.lea 27-10-2007 03:56 PM

Evergreen Climbers

On Oct 27, 3:44 pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,
says... Hello, All. I'm looking for recommendations for evergreen climbers to cover
the side wall of a brick garage. The plants are to go into 2 wooden
planters which are each about 2 feet wide by 4 feet long and about 2 feet in
depth, so the plants shouldn't be too invasive or vigorous. Ivy is an
obvious choice, but it might be too invasive? Is there anything else that
would do the job better?

Many thanks in advance.

Which way is it facing and where are you? it makes a big difference.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Charlie, can I tag on here, I want a clematis, hardy, evergreen, south
east facing, the Auvergne, France, snow in December and Jan Feb and
March pretty vicious. Is there anything I could plant in these
conditions?

Judith

judith.lea 27-10-2007 04:27 PM

Evergreen Climbers

On Oct 27, 3:59 pm, Martin wrote:

RHShttp://www.rhs.org.uk/WhatsOn/gardens/hydehall/archive/hydehallpom05j...
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

You Darling, thank you. Now I have to see if I can find it in France
otherwise Charlie will be sending me one next Spring.

Judith

Mo 27-10-2007 04:37 PM

Evergreen Climbers

"Charlie Pridham" wrote

Hello, All. I'm looking for recommendations for evergreen climbers to

Which way is it facing and where are you? it makes a big difference.

Yes, sorry. The garden is on the south of the house, and the planter box
itself faces west, so it should be reasonably bright and fairly sheltered.
We're in Bolton, so it's generally a bit damp and chilly.

Many thanks.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 27-10-2007 05:35 PM

Evergreen Climbers

In article . com,
says...
wrote:
[...]

I don't think so, the two toughest are Cirrhosa and armandii, on a wall I
am not sure what you would get away with but from previous threads your
place sounds rather cold in winter!

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 27-10-2007 05:38 PM

Evergreen Climbers

In article ,
lid says...

wrote:

On Oct 27, 3:44 pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,

Charlie, can I tag on here, I want a clematis, hardy, evergreen, south
east facing, the Auvergne, France, snow in December and Jan Feb and
March pretty vicious. Is there anything I could plant in these
conditions?

RHShttp://www.rhs.org.uk/WhatsOn/gardens/hydehall/archive/hydehallpom05j...

You Darling, thank you. Now I have to see if I can find it in France
otherwise Charlie will be sending me one next Spring.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

I'm waiting for somebody to tell me just how hardy it is.

I couldn't get the page to open, what is it about?

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 27-10-2007 05:43 PM

Evergreen Climbers

In article ,
says...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote

Hello, All. I'm looking for recommendations for evergreen climbers to

Which way is it facing and where are you? it makes a big difference.

Yes, sorry. The garden is on the south of the house, and the planter box
itself faces west, so it should be reasonably bright and fairly sheltered.
We're in Bolton, so it's generally a bit damp and chilly.

Many thanks.

A west facing wall with some shelter, you ought to be able to grow
Clematis armandii, Clematis cirrhosa balearica, Holboellia latifolia,
Passiflora caerulea. Lonicera japonica (I prefer the form Acumen for
leaves) If we had a stinker of a winter all would be damaged or killed.
As soon as I send this I will probably think of more!

judith.lea 27-10-2007 05:52 PM

Evergreen Climbers

wrote:
[...]

Thanks Martin, hopefully it is hardy, if anyone knows Charlie will.

Judith

Nick Maclaren 27-10-2007 06:12 PM

Evergreen Climbers

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:
| In article . com,
| says...
|
| Charlie, can I tag on here, I want a clematis, hardy, evergreen, south
| east facing, the Auvergne, France, snow in December and Jan Feb and
| March pretty vicious. Is there anything I could plant in these
| conditions?
|
| I don't think so, the two toughest are Cirrhosa and armandii, on a wall I
| am not sure what you would get away with but from previous threads your
| place sounds rather cold in winter!

Yes. Both are worth a go, but neither is truly hardy. C. armandii
doesn't like strong winds or heavy snow much, either.

As far as I know, the ONLY evergreen climber that will take serious
cold is Hedera helix, followed by H. colchica. But there are plenty
that will take current UK winters in all but the worst places; if
we revert to those of 25 years back, that will no longer hold.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Derek 27-10-2007 07:34 PM

Evergreen Climbers

"Mo" wrote in message
Hello, All. I'm looking for recommendations for evergreen climbers to
cover the side wall of a brick garage. The plants are to go into 2 wooden
planters which are each about 2 feet wide by 4 feet long and about 2 feet
in depth, so the plants shouldn't be too invasive or vigorous. Ivy is an
obvious choice, but it might be too invasive? Is there anything else that
would do the job better? with

Many thanks in advance.

less invasive and more decorative Winter Flowering Jasmine Jasminum
nudiflorum with the added bonus of small yellow flowers not restricted to
just winter. Ivy does have a problem with the adventitious roots damageing
brickwork .
Derek

Jeff Layman 27-10-2007 09:30 PM

Evergreen Climbers

Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote

Hello, All. I'm looking for recommendations for evergreen
climbers to

Which way is it facing and where are you? it makes a big difference.

Yes, sorry. The garden is on the south of the house, and the
planter box itself faces west, so it should be reasonably bright and
fairly sheltered. We're in Bolton, so it's generally a bit damp and
chilly.

Many thanks.

A west facing wall with some shelter, you ought to be able to grow
Clematis armandii, Clematis cirrhosa balearica, Holboellia latifolia,
Passiflora caerulea. Lonicera japonica (I prefer the form Acumen for
leaves) If we had a stinker of a winter all would be damaged or
killed. As soon as I send this I will probably think of more!

Good list. To those stated I would add Akebia quinata or trifoliata. They
would do pretty well (maybe too well!), and in most winters would be more or
less evergreen. If the winter was very severe they would lose their leaves
completely, but would probably be more likely to survive than those in the
list.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

judith.lea 27-10-2007 09:48 PM

Evergreen Climbers

On Oct 27, 5:35 pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article . com,
says...

wrote:
[...]

Lapageria rosea- Hide quoted text -

It is Charlie, any suggestions at all for something, anything
evergreeen, that may survive?

Judith

Nick Maclaren 27-10-2007 10:09 PM

Evergreen Climbers

In article ,
"Jeff Layman" writes:

| Good list. To those stated I would add Akebia quinata or trifoliata. They
| would do pretty well (maybe too well!), and in most winters would be more or
| less evergreen. If the winter was very severe they would lose their leaves
| completely, but would probably be more likely to survive than those in the
| list.

Nah. Akebia quinata is hardy, but deciduous in all but very mild
winters. It has more-or-less kept its leaves on the last two, but
they have been freakishly mild. Before that, it lost its leaves
every year. Cambridge may be colder than Bolton, but not by much.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

judith.lea 27-10-2007 10:20 PM

Evergreen Climbers

On Oct 27, 10:09 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,"Je ff Layman" writes:

| Good list. To those stated I would add Akebia quinata or trifoliata. They
| would do pretty well (maybe too well!), and in most winters would be more or
| less evergreen. If the winter was very severe they would lose their leaves
| completely, but would probably be more likely to survive than those in the
| list.

Nah. Akebia quinata is hardy, but deciduous in all but very mild
winters. It has more-or-less kept its leaves on the last two, but
they have been freakishly mild. Before that, it lost its leaves
every year. Cambridge may be colder than Bolton, but not by much.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Come on Nick and Charlie, south of Clermont Ferrand at high altitude?

Judith