Old 28-10-2007, 07:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pea question

I have spent an hour this evening shelling and blanching the first of my pea
crop. That dour old yorkshire git cricket commentator Geoffrey Boycott has
told me many times "easy as shelling peas". Easy maybe, laborious as well.
And that doesn't include chasing errant want away peas around the kitchen
floor.

Anyhow, first time I have done that with a crop. The peas last year got
mildew and died off.

The current crop I planted late last autumn, it is now into the second 1/2
of spring here. I planted them in the same spot I did the crop that got
mildew. About 4-6 weeks ago I spread a thinish layer of aged (6-9 odd
months) horse/chicken poop on the soil.

The current peas are showing signs of some disease. The stems are shrivelled
and the leaves are turning brown and themselves shrivelling. Its similar to
what I have seen on my tomatos with blight but I am not sure exactly what it
is. Any possible suggestions?

Rob

Old 28-10-2007, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

George.com writes
I have spent an hour this evening shelling and blanching the first of my pea
crop. That dour old yorkshire git cricket commentator Geoffrey Boycott has
told me many times "easy as shelling peas". Easy maybe, laborious as well.
And that doesn't include chasing errant want away peas around the kitchen
floor.

Try "sugar snap" peas - like mangetout, you can eat the pods, but,
unlike mangetout, you pick them when the peas inside have swollen to
normal pea size, so you get that proper pea taste.

--
Kay

Pea question Wally[_3_] United Kingdom 2 02-02-2012 04:29 PM
Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
Pea question Wally[_3_] United Kingdom 5 08-12-2008 05:42 PM
Sweet Pea Trials Faye United Kingdom 0 01-06-2003 05:20 PM
Lack of sugar pea blossoms? Repeating Decimal Edible Gardening 0 14-02-2003 07:51 PM