Old 01-11-2007, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Greenhouses v. Polytunnels

On Oct 31, 10:28 am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message om, Des
Higgins writes

On Oct 30, 3:41 pm, Des Higgins wrote:
On Oct 30, 1:41 pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:

I have just come in from my greenhouse muttering about the fact that
greenhouses like workshops, are never big enough :-) As we are
planning to
move to Scotland my husband suggests that I go for a polytunnel. I am
beginning to warm to the idea but would appreciate some opinions from the
group :-)

kate

We have a suburban backgarden and so space is limited and we have a
12x8 foot greenhouse which I think is better for confined spaces but
is more expensive. If I had a big country patch, I would prefer a
polytunnel and would prefer to have a whopping big one as I think it
would be much cheaper that way (big poly tunnel much cheaper than huge
greenhouse).

ok, looks like I am outvoted; alright then, if I had a choice, I would
choose a nice wooden greenhouse with a brick base, as long as it came
with a small bloke to paint it every 2 years.

If I was offered a choice between a polytunnel and a greenhouse of the
same footprint, at the same price, I'd go for the greenhouse, but I
don't expect to be offered that choice.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

I agree with that now; Having read the other posts; I did not realise
how much maintenance was needed for tunnels. For domestic gardening,
greenhouse is the way to go alright. If I ever went into serious veg
growing, a tunnel might me an option but that is not looking
imminent.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/11/07 10:17, in article
, "Des Higgins"

wrote:
[...]

Apropos the remark above about painting the greenhouse every 2 years, isn't
it possible to buy teak ones that won't need painting? I'm sure they must
cost more but perhaps there's a saving in the long run if all that's needed
is a slosh of oil over the wood?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-11-2007, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 1, 10:27 am, Sacha wrote:
On 1/11/07 10:17, in article
. com, "Des Higgins"

wrote:
[...]

Same difference in long run I think. Sloshing oil still requires time
and effort. Usually you do it for a bit and then forget. To paint
oil on takes almost as much effort as a coat of paint. The wooden
ones look gorgeous but short of getting a small bloke in, the
aluminium is dead handy.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/11/07 11:53, in article
, "Des Higgins"
wrote:

On Nov 1, 10:27 am, Sacha wrote:
snip

Apropos the remark above about painting the greenhouse every 2 years, isn't
it possible to buy teak ones that won't need painting? I'm sure they must
cost more but perhaps there's a saving in the long run if all that's needed
is a slosh of oil over the wood?
--

Same difference in long run I think. Sloshing oil still requires time
and effort. Usually you do it for a bit and then forget. To paint
oil on takes almost as much effort as a coat of paint. The wooden
ones look gorgeous but short of getting a small bloke in, the
aluminium is dead handy.

Nobody would describe me as a handyman but I thought there was an oil
(Danish teak oil?) that can just be brushed on and doesn't require all the
sanding down and preparation that painting does? I'm sure I remember some
yotties using that on weathered teak decks.
I certainly agree the aluminium is the best practical solution but it
depends on whether it's going to be considered an eyesore if totally visible
from the house or the rest of the garden.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 1/11/07 11:53, in article
, "Des Higgins"
wrote:

On Nov 1, 10:27 am, Sacha wrote:
snip

[...]

Depends on the style whether its an eyesore.Plain auluminium is functional
but you can get powder coated auluminium glasshouses in any colour you want
and turn the duck into a swan.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com, Des
Higgins says...
I agree with that now; Having read the other posts; I did not realise
how much maintenance was needed for tunnels. For domestic gardening,
greenhouse is the way to go alright. If I ever went into serious veg
growing, a tunnel might me an option but that is not looking
imminent.

Throwing in my penny's worth. I'm planning to make my own greenhouse
again next year (time permitting) and will use clear corrugated pvc
sheets (again). The structure will be made with pressure treated 3 x 2"
timbers set into a concrete foundation. I made one like this before at a
previous property and it worked very well. Not as pretty as a glass
greenhouse but very functional. The timber construction meant I could
attach anything anywhere - great for hooks for hanging baskets or fixing
shelving. Also good for stapling some bubble wrap to over Winter.

I took quite a fancy to sitting there in the evenings with a book and a
pint of home-brew surrounded by all my favourite plants and watching the
sun go down. Bliss!
--
David in Normandy
Old 01-11-2007, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/11/07 12:28, in article , "Sage"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 1/11/07 11:53, in article
, "Des Higgins"
wrote:

On Nov 1, 10:27 am, Sacha wrote:
snip

[...]

Sounds good!

--
Sacha
(remove weeds from address)

Old 01-11-2007, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 1, 2:10 pm, David in Normandy wrote:
In article .com, Des
Higgins says...

[...]

You de man!!
I wish I had the time/energy/ability to do that. I had toyed with the
idea of making one in the past and just reckoned it would take me too
long and I would make a mess of it and I chickened out and bought our
current one. Clear corrugated PVC?? How about polycarbonate? How do
you attach the sheets to the wood? With a router, it is easy to cut
out rebates in the wood to take a sheet like in a window but if the
sheets are big enough, you just fix them on like a perspex roof with
big nails with rubber seals? Whatever you do, it sounds great!

Des

Old 01-11-2007, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 1, 11:59 am, Sacha wrote:
On 1/11/07 11:53, in article
om, "Des Higgins"

wrote:
On Nov 1, 10:27 am, Sacha wrote:
snip

[...]

I have used that on wooden worktops and it is easy but after a few
years you just forget to do it.
It is hard to maintain the enthuasiasm once the initial novelty wears
off.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'- Hide quoted text -

Old 01-11-2007, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com, Des
Higgins says...
[...]

As I remember, the last time I made one the price of flat polycarbonate
sheets was too expensive, so just used the clear corrugated pvc.
Construction was very easy, just overlap the sheets with one (or two)
corrugations and at this point you need a vertical timber to fasten to.
Just drill a small hole and use proper corrugation sheet fastenings -
basically long screws with a clear flexible washer and spacer between
the timber and sheet. No fancy woodworking skills needed - just a pile
of the cheap metal brackets from Wilko's to join the timbers together.
The finished structure is virtually bomb proof - certainly stands up to
a gale or two and misdirected footballs from neighbours children.
--
David in Normandy

Old 02-11-2007, 01:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If your vegetable prep skills could be improved then a few covered window
boxes might suffice :-).
Powder coated Aluminium with glass(safety) is the best solution, at a price.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Des Higgins wrote:
On Nov 1, 11:59 am, Sacha wrote:
On 1/11/07 11:53, in article
om, "Des Higgins"

wrote:
On Nov 1, 10:27 am, Sacha wrote:
snip
[...]

Wax might be a better bet outdoors. Paraffin wax is about as waterproof
as it gets. Make your own from a box of candles, or get something like this.

http://www.bellbrush.com/selden-selw...tre-p-460.html

The downsides are that it gets tacky in hot weather and dirt sticks to
it, and the appearance is a bit cloudy compared to oils and varnishes.
Still, it only needs doing once and IME it will almost certainly extend
the life of the wood by a factor of 3-4.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

Apropos the remark above about painting the greenhouse every 2 years, isn't
it possible to buy teak ones that won't need painting? I'm sure they must
cost more but perhaps there's a saving in the long run if all that's needed
is a slosh of oil over the wood?

Ha! Sloshing oil over the wood of an Alton greenhouse takes as much time
and energy s painting the thing Sacha . I did mine very year since 1979
but it now has a sagging roof and all the base pieces are rotten, the
glass slides off if you don't put your own screws on the end to hold
them in and I think the roof panes are now dangerous as they could slide
off if the screw come out of the rotting wood up on top.
For some reason Alton rest the panes on a, (well for non technical
people such as me) plank of wood running along the length of the
greenhouse, with about 2 inches exposed, so.............. the rain comes
off the roof straight on to the wood.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 04-11-2007, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/11/07 13:09, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

[...]

I'll take that as a 'no', then? ;-))

Old 04-11-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 13:09:31 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

[...]

For some years now we've been treating the teak on our boat with Burgess Wood
Sealer. Other than that it turns a dark brown after about a year, it has worked
very well.

Real teak is resinous and water resistant to start with. It would be a
mighty expensive way to build a greenhouse