Old 30-10-2007, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Greenhouses v. Polytunnels

I have just come in from my greenhouse muttering about the fact that
greenhouses like workshops, are never big enough :-) As we are planning to
move to Scotland my husband suggests that I go for a polytunnel. I am
beginning to warm to the idea but would appreciate some opinions from the
group :-)

kate

Old 30-10-2007, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 30, 1:41 pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
I have just come in from my greenhouse muttering about the fact that
greenhouses like workshops, are never big enough :-) As we are planning to
move to Scotland my husband suggests that I go for a polytunnel. I am
beginning to warm to the idea but would appreciate some opinions from the
group :-)

kate

We have a suburban backgarden and so space is limited and we have a
12x8 foot greenhouse which I think is better for confined spaces but
is more expensive. If I had a big country patch, I would prefer a
polytunnel and would prefer to have a whopping big one as I think it
would be much cheaper that way (big poly tunnel much cheaper than huge
greenhouse).

Old 30-10-2007, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 30 Oct, 13:41, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
I have just come in from my greenhouse muttering about the fact that
greenhouses like workshops, are never big enough :-) As we are planning to
move to Scotland my husband suggests that I go for a polytunnel. I am
beginning to warm to the idea but would appreciate some opinions from the
group :-)

kate

Given the choice I'd go for a greenhouse every time - more versatile,
easier to control temperature and humidity and better in the wind.
However depending where you're going in Scotland, either option will
need to be strong unless it's a sheltered site.
Now if you can manage both and it's veg you're growing then a smallish
glasshouse and a big polytunnel would suit nicely.
For some years I managed some polytunnels commercially for propagation
and early stage growing of hardy shrubs and trees in containers. This
was reasonably successful but we did have problems controlling the
temperatures and humidity except in the mist units. A lot of early veg
and salads would be OK in tunnels but you need to watch diseases and
pests and it may get too hot to be useful in mid-summer. If you go for
glass, get all the optional additional vents the maker will allow -
compare the area of ventilation on home glasshouses with that seen on
big commercial houses and you'll see why their plants are more
comfortable than ours. You feel the difference when you enter a
commercial house.

Old 30-10-2007, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

HI Charlie

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 18:34:48 -0000, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article ,
says...
The message
from "Kate Morgan" contains these words:

I have just come in from my greenhouse muttering about the fact that
greenhouses like workshops, are never big enough :-) As we are
planning to
move to Scotland my husband suggests that I go for a polytunnel. I am
beginning to warm to the idea but would appreciate some opinions from the
group :-)

Whichever you choose it/they will need to be well anchored in Scotland.
I am sure there are people on this group who can give you more expert
advice than me. I only know what I found out when I asked on behalf of
my stepdaughter who lives on the Isle of Lewis - where it is windy!

Come in Compo ......

BTW she was thinking of a polytunnel.
E-mail me if you want to.

Jennifer

If you bury the cover around the edge rather than using the grip rails
then they will withstand 120 mile winds no problem, the down side is
having to recover them every 5-7 years and the covers need cleaning about
twice a year.

Alternatively..... g

When we put up our tunnel last year they advised us to runs a concrete
'footing' all the way round the legs of the tunnel. This ended up
being about 12" wide and tapering from 8" inside to 6" outside.

Then we used the grip rail - and (so far!) it's withstood all the the
sou-westers can throw at it.

We're in a moderately exposed part of south-west Ireland....
and the supplier we used had installed tunnels in this way on the
'off-islands'.....

It's a fair bit more work - but replacing the cover's going to be much
easier !

Another tip they gave us was to tension the cover as tight as possible
when first erected (Springtime) and give the grip rail a good thump
with a 4lb hammer on warm days throughout the summer.

Cover is now as tight as a drum - apparently it's the flapping about
that can really shorten a cover's life...

Adrian
West Cork, Ireland
Old 30-10-2007, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 30, 3:41 pm, Des Higgins wrote:
On Oct 30, 1:41 pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:

I have just come in from my greenhouse muttering about the fact that
greenhouses like workshops, are never big enough :-) As we are planning to
move to Scotland my husband suggests that I go for a polytunnel. I am
beginning to warm to the idea but would appreciate some opinions from the
group :-)

kate

We have a suburban backgarden and so space is limited and we have a
12x8 foot greenhouse which I think is better for confined spaces but
is more expensive. If I had a big country patch, I would prefer a
polytunnel and would prefer to have a whopping big one as I think it
would be much cheaper that way (big poly tunnel much cheaper than huge
greenhouse).

ok, looks like I am outvoted; alright then, if I had a choice, I would
choose a nice wooden greenhouse with a brick base, as long as it came
with a small bloke to paint it every 2 years.

Old 31-10-2007, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 Oct, 13:41, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
I have just come in from my greenhouse muttering about the fact that
greenhouses like workshops, are never big enough :-) As we are planning to
move to Scotland my husband suggests that I go for a polytunnel. I am
beginning to warm to the idea but would appreciate some opinions from the
group :-)

kate

Polytunnels are cheaper but they have a much more finite life. The
suns rays break down the cover, these will need replacing every 5
years or so. The standard polytunnels come right to the floor making
air flow and tempreture control difficult, If you decide to get one of
these then removeable ends (or at least big doors) and fans to
circulate the air are essential in hot periods. There are some
available with vents right along the sides that can be opened and
closed.You need to choose the design that fits your needs. try
www.northernpolytunnels.co.uk to give you an idea of whats available.
Glass always looks better and feels nice when you are inside. I always
feel like i'm inside a giant Sainsburys bag when in a poly tunnel. But
the plants don't seem to mind. If sustainability is an issue then it
has to be glass. As far as i'm aware poly tunnels can't be recycled. I
hope this is some help.

Old 31-10-2007, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message om, Des
Higgins writes
[...]

If I was offered a choice between a polytunnel and a greenhouse of the
same footprint, at the same price, I'd go for the greenhouse, but I
don't expect to be offered that choice.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 31-10-2007, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Howya Father :-)

My missus went and invested in a very nice bespoke pitched roof greenhouse
( with brick base) from Hartleys about 2 years ago. It is made from thick
sections of aluminium and is a cream colour. No painting required and should
long outlive her ( and me as well). It looks like its made from timber.
Glad to see yer settling down at last!

Old 31-10-2007, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 31, 10:29 am, "Sage" wrote:
[...]

Blessings Kevin my son; I am a changed man. I have finally made peace
with all trolls and now wish nothing but calm intercourse on matters
of a horticultural nature. I have invested in a heavy duty
waterproof cassock for all work in my mixed borders.

Des

Old 31-10-2007, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 31, 10:29 am, "Sage" wrote:
[...]

Glad to hear it Father, the road to Damascus experience is a truly uplifting
sight to behold especially when one has lead such a torrid life as yourself.
There is nothing more we want at this stage of our lives other than calm
intercourse on any matters, horticultural or otherwise.

BTW, if you email me proctork at iol dot ie I can arrange for you to see a
very nice greenhouse/glasshouse. Its also a sanctuary at times from the
cares of this world.

Old 31-10-2007, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 30 Oct, 18:34, Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
If you bury the cover around the edge rather than using the grip rails
then they will withstand 120 mile winds no problem, the down side is
having to recover them every 5-7 years and the covers need cleaning about
twice a year.
--

Yes I think that's still better than any of the fancy tensioning
measures - do it on a warm still day and have equal numbers of folk