GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Begonia (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/166379-begonia.html)

judith.lea 02-11-2007 03:52 PM

Begonia

The frosts have killed my beautiful white begonia in pots, will the
corms survive if I bring them in now or is it too late?

Judith

Sacha 02-11-2007 04:30 PM

Begonia

On 2/11/07 15:52, in article
, "judith.lea"
wrote:

The frosts have killed my beautiful white begonia in pots, will the
corms survive if I bring them in now or is it too late?

Judith

You might be lucky if the frost didn't penetrate the soil or compost.
Certainly, you have nothing to lose by trying.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Dave Poole 02-11-2007 04:35 PM

Begonia

I wouldn't worry unduly Judith. When I used to grow the tuberous
rooted ones, I'd wait until the first frost killed off the tops and
then lifted them. They were cleaned of old soil and roots, dried on
racks for a week, dusted with sulphur and then stored in dry peat.
Virtually none were lost.

judith.lea 02-11-2007 04:48 PM

Begonia

On Nov 2, 4:35 pm, Dave Poole wrote:
I wouldn't worry unduly Judith. When I used to grow the tuberous
rooted ones, I'd wait until the first frost killed off the tops and
then lifted them. They were cleaned of old soil and roots, dried on
racks for a week, dusted with sulphur and then stored in dry peat.
Virtually none were lost.

Thank you Sacha and Dave, I will take them out tomorrow and treat them
as advised. I wonder if it will be easy to get sulpher in France?

Judith

Sacha 03-11-2007 12:30 PM

Begonia

On 3/11/07 10:32, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 16:48:23 -0000, "judith.lea"
wrote:

On Nov 2, 4:35 pm, Dave Poole wrote:
I wouldn't worry unduly Judith. When I used to grow the tuberous
rooted ones, I'd wait until the first frost killed off the tops and
then lifted them. They were cleaned of old soil and roots, dried on
racks for a week, dusted with sulphur and then stored in dry peat.
Virtually none were lost.

Thank you Sacha and Dave, I will take them out tomorrow and treat them
as advised. I wonder if it will be easy to get sulpher in France?

Go to an agriculture store.

I think it's sulfur in France.