Old 02-11-2007, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Suffolk Punch clutch adjustment

I recently was given a Suffolk Punch mower. The engine works fine but
the centrifugal clutch wasn't too great. To get at the adjustment
screws inside, I had to take the entire gearing assembly off the side
- is there an easier way? I couldn't see how the small gear on the
end of the main shaft was attached to said shaft. Couldn't unscrew it,
and it wasn't budging with a gear puller. If someone could let me know
how it is attached, I would be most grateful

Old 02-11-2007, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robin" wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently was given a Suffolk Punch mower. The engine works fine but
the centrifugal clutch wasn't too great. To get at the adjustment
screws inside, I had to take the entire gearing assembly off the side
- is there an easier way? I couldn't see how the small gear on the
end of the main shaft was attached to said shaft. Couldn't unscrew it,
and it wasn't budging with a gear puller. If someone could let me know
how it is attached, I would be most grateful

Is it a reverse thread? Grip it somehow and GENTLY tap it as if tightening
it.

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robin" wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently was given a Suffolk Punch mower. The engine works fine but
the centrifugal clutch wasn't too great. To get at the adjustment
screws inside, I had to take the entire gearing assembly off the side
- is there an easier way? I couldn't see how the small gear on the
end of the main shaft was attached to said shaft. Couldn't unscrew it,
and it wasn't budging with a gear puller. If someone could let me know
how it is attached, I would be most grateful

Firstly, there are no adjusting screws. There are two pivoted centrifugal
shoes, just like brake shoes, with friction lining material on them. These
are held clear of the drum by springs, whose tension is overcome by
centrifugal force when engine revs increase. It's a pretty bulletproof
arrangement, and I haven't heard of one needing attention before, the only
possibilities I can envisage are worn out linings, and oil in the drum.

As for getting it apart, IIRC there is a captive bearing arrangement for the
drum, and it may be simpler to move the engine away from it. There are
simply 4 bolts holding the engine in place, remove those and you can slide
the engine away from the drive mechanism, taking note of anything which may
be getting pulled tight, like the fuel pipe or throttle cable. You will then
have an engine with the centrifugal part of the clutch attached to it. To
remove this from the engine, there is a fairly obvious square headed bolt
and a less obvious woodruff key holding it to the end of the crankshaft.

None of this is a left hand thread, the only one of those is at the other
end, holding the flywheel on.

HTH
Steve

Old 03-11-2007, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 2, 3:23 pm, "shazzbat"
wrote:
"Robin" wrote in message

ups.com...I recently was given a Suffolk Punch mower. The engine works fine but
[...]

Mine has got adjustment screws which alter the pre-tension on the
clutch springs. I overadjusted them so they need a bit of a tweak. I
thought removing the engine might be a simpler solution - don't
suppose I'll need to hire an engine crane!!

The gear on the end of the main shaft is not threaded on, as far as I
can make out. There is a thread, right hand, on the end of the shaft,
but it doesn't have anything threaded onto it. The gear resisted
unscrewing.

When I opened up the gear box, it had been well greased, but much of
this was full of old grass clippings - is there a good way of sealing
this more effectively?

thanks for the replies so far,

Robin

Old 03-11-2007, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robin" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 2, 3:23 pm, "shazzbat"
wrote:
"Robin" wrote in message

[...]

Different years, different arrangements I presume.

The gear on the end of the main shaft is not threaded on, as far as I
can make out. There is a thread, right hand, on the end of the shaft,
but it doesn't have anything threaded onto it. The gear resisted
unscrewing.

When you say the main shaft, do you mean the engine crankshaft? This has the
clutch on it, which then drives the clutch drum, which in turn goes through
into the drive case. If you mean this, it's probably the thread on the end
of the clutch drum you're looking at. The nut may be missing.
A pic may help.

When I opened up the gear box, it had been well greased, but much of
this was full of old grass clippings - is there a good way of sealing
this more effectively?

When you say gearbox, I assume you mean the drive case, lets call it that.
Early ones had a chain and a pair of sprockets in there, later ones have a
ribbed drive belt like a car's cam belt. What have you got?

Steve

Old 07-11-2007, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 Nov, 14:13, "shazzbat" wrote:
"Robin" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Nov 2, 3:23 pm, "shazzbat"
wrote:
"Robin" wrote in message

roups.com...Irecently
[...]

Mine has 3 chains and various sprockets. I don't know how old the
mower is, but it looks pretty ancient. That said, the forward roller,
in front of the blades, is plastic

Old 09-11-2007, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

When you say gearbox, I assume you mean the drive case, lets call it
that.
Early ones had a chain and a pair of sprockets in there, later ones have
ribbed drive belt like a car's cam belt. What have you got?

Steve

Mine has 3 chains and various sprockets. I don't know how old the
mower is, but it looks pretty ancient. That said, the forward roller,
in front of the blades, is plastic

3 chains? All in the one case? I'd really like to see this, I'm confuzzled
now. Any chance of a pic on photobucket or whatever? Or email it to me at
shazzbat3ATyahooDOTcoDOTuk

Steve

Old 09-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazzbat View Post

When you say gearbox, I assume you mean the drive case, lets call it
that.
Early ones had a chain and a pair of sprockets in there, later ones have
ribbed drive belt like a car's cam belt. What have you got?

Steve

Mine has 3 chains and various sprockets. I don't know how old the
mower is, but it looks pretty ancient. That said, the forward roller,
in front of the blades, is plastic

3 chains? All in the one case? I'd really like to see this, I'm confuzzled
now. Any chance of a pic on photobucket or whatever? Or email it to me at
shazzbat3ATyahooDOTcoDOTuk

Steve
Try looking on this forum http://www.lawnmowerdatabase.co.uk/f...sp?TOPIC_ID=52

Howard rotavator clutch adjustment Forman4me Edible Gardening 3 12-02-2016 02:51 PM
john deere gt 262 clutch adjustment Bob Kupferer Lawns 0 16-07-2004 04:33 PM
Suffolk Punch? Mrtn2104 United Kingdom 1 11-06-2004 10:24 AM
Suffolk Punch? Mrtn2104 United Kingdom 1 11-06-2004 04:35 AM
Help - Carburetor adjustment instructions Punch 30s Beemer United Kingdom 0 07-08-2003 08:32 AM