Old 05-11-2007, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Aloe vera Help please

Hello everyone, I usually have the black thumb of death, but have had an
Aloe Vera plant for 5 years. Despite lots of neglect it is still alive. I
keep it in a pot indoors and it has started to flower, the ugliest flowers I
have ever seen. There is a 12 inch stem with pinky elongated bell like
flowers. This year side shoots have started to grow on the stem, at the top
is a sort of pine cone, green & white stripes, another looks like a seed
pod. In the pot is a tiny aloe plant, not joined to the roots or the main
plant , but growing on it's own, I would like to grow more for friends, but
how do I do this? Thanks D.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Denise or Mick" wrote in message
Hello everyone, I usually have the black thumb of death, but have had an
Aloe Vera plant for 5 years. Despite lots of neglect it is still alive. I
keep it in a pot indoors and it has started to flower, the ugliest flowers
I have ever seen. There is a 12 inch stem with pinky elongated bell like
flowers. This year side shoots have started to grow on the stem, at the
top is a sort of pine cone, green & white stripes, another looks like a
seed pod. In the pot is a tiny aloe plant, not joined to the roots or the
main plant , but growing on it's own, I would like to grow more for
friends, but how do I do this? Thanks D.

Aloe Vera is as tough as a hundred old boots. Just pull off the side shoot
or a leaf, allow any wounded bits to dry and then put the sideshoot/leaf in
a pot. Don't overwater as it comes from dry climes and overwatering is a
good way to kill them.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Denise or Mick" wrote in message
Hello everyone, I usually have the black thumb of death, but have had an
Aloe Vera plant for 5 years. Despite lots of neglect it is still alive. I
keep it in a pot indoors and it has started to flower, the ugliest flowers
I have ever seen. There is a 12 inch stem with pinky elongated bell like
flowers. This year side shoots have started to grow on the stem, at the
top is a sort of pine cone, green & white stripes, another looks like a
seed pod. In the pot is a tiny aloe plant, not joined to the roots or the
main plant , but growing on it's own, I would like to grow more for
friends, but how do I do this? Thanks D.

Tried unsuccesfully to kill of Aloe Vera in the past :-)

Just chop of leaves, dry um out a bit and plant um, can't go wrong with the
ruddy ugly stuff.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6 Nov, 03:03, "Campa-Man" wrote:
"Denise or Mick" wrote in ...

Hello everyone, I usually have the black thumb of death, but have had an
Aloe Vera plant for 5 years. Despite lots of neglect it is still alive. I
keep it in a pot indoors and it has started to flower, the ugliest flowers
I have ever seen. There is a 12 inch stem with pinky elongated bell like
flowers. This year side shoots have started to grow on the stem, at the
top is a sort of pine cone, green & white stripes, another looks like a
seed pod. In the pot is a tiny aloe plant, not joined to the roots or the
main plant , but growing on it's own, I would like to grow more for
friends, but how do I do this? Thanks D.

Tried unsuccesfully to kill of Aloe Vera in the past :-)

Just chop of leaves, dry um out a bit and plant um, can't go wrong with the
ruddy ugly stuff.

Hmmm, well I don't want to say I'm "good" at something this way but
I've killed-off 2 Aloe Vera leaves since summer, from 2 different
parent plants. I'm not sure if it's the razor-sharp flint-sand I top-
off-with (all my plants) in futile attempts to frustrate Fungus Gnats
or if the base-mix I used in re-potting them ("Nursery Mix") is just
too rich.
Either way one of the parents has now gone all twisty and lopsided
(same soil combo used in re-potting them from the original tine pots)
-- and is losing another leaf just as happened to both plants when
brand new: the "leaf" has fallen completely down and turned black at
the base where it connects to the parent.
None of the Aloe's have received more than a few drops of moisture/
month ever since I have had them.
I suppose I'd better buy some actual "cactus mix" soil and repot
them again before I lose the parents too.

However another plant which I got at the same time and re-potted
identically as the Aloe's from a 2 inch pot into a 4, is doing just
fine and has doubled in size.

It may or may not be this unnamed blue succulent:
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com/...succulent.html
And I'm pretty sure it is this one:
http://marsorange.com/archive/succulent-window.jpg

Don

Old 08-11-2007, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Denise or Mick" wrote in message
Hello everyone, I usually have the black thumb of death, but have had an
Aloe Vera plant for 5 years. Despite lots of neglect it is still alive. I
keep it in a pot indoors and it has started to flower, the ugliest flowers
I have ever seen. There is a 12 inch stem with pinky elongated bell like
flowers. This year side shoots have started to grow on the stem, at the
top is a sort of pine cone, green & white stripes, another looks like a
seed pod. In the pot is a tiny aloe plant, not joined to the roots or the
main plant , but growing on it's own, I would like to grow more for
friends, but how do I do this? Thanks D.

Hello Vera

Thanks...Aloe vera help Denise or Mick United Kingdom 0 06-11-2007 01:09 PM
Aloe Vera Plants jammer Plant Biology 13 13-11-2005 09:07 PM
HELP. Aloe Vera turning brown. It looks like its dying. Help tom United Kingdom 7 11-05-2005 01:54 PM
Aloe Vera Plants rusty Plant Biology 13 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
Aloe vera - too soon to put outside? kate Gardening 17 25-03-2003 02:32 PM