Old 06-11-2007, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flies persisting again into winter

Here we are into November, and still I have flies buzzing round
strongly inside the house and wasps doing the flower rounds in the
garden....... (I plan to keep recording this as warm weather persists
into late autumn/winter, year after year, and insect activity remains
strong :)

Old 06-11-2007, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kleopatra" wrote in message
ps.com...
Here we are into November, and still I have flies buzzing round
strongly inside the house and wasps doing the flower rounds in the
garden....... (I plan to keep recording this as warm weather persists
into late autumn/winter, year after year, and insect activity remains
strong :)

I still have all of my salvia in pots outside, 2 hanging baskets going
strong, my wild rhododendron has just sent a few flowers out... the days are
lovely for walking on the beach too....

Old 06-11-2007, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sheila wrote:
"Kleopatra" wrote in message
ps.com...
Here we are into November, and still I have flies buzzing round
strongly inside the house and wasps doing the flower rounds in the
garden....... (I plan to keep recording this as warm weather persists
into late autumn/winter, year after year, and insect activity remains
strong :)

I still have all of my salvia in pots outside, 2 hanging baskets going
strong, my wild rhododendron has just sent a few flowers out... the
days are lovely for walking on the beach too....

Fuschias are still flowering in West Somerset:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14662771@N00/1859486846/

Old 06-11-2007, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/11/07 13:53, in article
, "Sheila"
wrote:

"Kleopatra" wrote in message
ps.com...
Here we are into November, and still I have flies buzzing round
strongly inside the house and wasps doing the flower rounds in the
garden....... (I plan to keep recording this as warm weather persists
into late autumn/winter, year after year, and insect activity remains
strong :)

I still have all of my salvia in pots outside, 2 hanging baskets going
strong, my wild rhododendron has just sent a few flowers out... the days are
lovely for walking on the beach too....

I've just driven past some flowering cow parsley, the Acanthus is coming
through quite boldly and Dahlias etc. are still persistent.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-11-2007, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6 Nov, 05:31, Kleopatra wrote:
Here we are into November, and still I have flies buzzing round
strongly inside the house and wasps doing the flower rounds in the
garden....... (I plan to keep recording this as warm weather persists
into late autumn/winter, year after year, and insect activity remains
strong :)

That is something I wish I had. I have several (indoor container)
herbs and veggies that are still flowering and producing, notably
various peppers, and no bees etc for several months now. The best I've
able to do by hand-pollination is only about 30%. Earlier this summer
I was inundated w/ yellow-jackets somehow finding ways around my A.C.
or window screens. I wonder if I could keep some in the refrigerator
next year until I need them?-/

Old 06-11-2007, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 6/11/07 13:53, in article
, "Sheila"
wrote:

"Kleopatra" wrote in message
ps.com...
Here we are into November, and still I have flies buzzing round
strongly inside the house and wasps doing the flower rounds in the
garden....... (I plan to keep recording this as warm weather persists
into late autumn/winter, year after year, and insect activity remains
strong :)

I still have all of my salvia in pots outside, 2 hanging baskets going
strong, my wild rhododendron has just sent a few flowers out... the days are
lovely for walking on the beach too....

I've just driven past some flowering cow parsley, the Acanthus is coming
through quite boldly and Dahlias etc. are still persistent.

I noticed some flowers on a wallflower a few days back, never mind Welsh
poppies (but they've been flowering intermittently since the spring).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-11-2007, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/11/07 17:28, in article , "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 6/11/07 13:53, in article
, "Sheila"
wrote:

"Kleopatra" wrote in message
ps.com...
Here we are into November, and still I have flies buzzing round
strongly inside the house and wasps doing the flower rounds in the
garden....... (I plan to keep recording this as warm weather persists
into late autumn/winter, year after year, and insect activity remains
strong :)

I still have all of my salvia in pots outside, 2 hanging baskets going
strong, my wild rhododendron has just sent a few flowers out... the days are
lovely for walking on the beach too....

I've just driven past some flowering cow parsley, the Acanthus is coming
through quite boldly and Dahlias etc. are still persistent.

I noticed some flowers on a wallflower a few days back, never mind Welsh
poppies (but they've been flowering intermittently since the spring).

There is hardly a day in the year when there isn't a Welsh poppy flowering
somewhere in this garden. They are fantastic plants and because they're not
exotic or showy, they're too often overlooked, IMO. AND our Euryops
chrysanthemoides must be in flower 8 months in the year I should think.
They don't seem to care if they're in containers or banks - another truly
wonderful plant but not for cold areas.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
says...
On 6/11/07 13:53, in article
, "Sheila"
wrote:

"Kleopatra" wrote in message
ps.com...
Here we are into November, and still I have flies buzzing round
strongly inside the house and wasps doing the flower rounds in the
garden....... (I plan to keep recording this as warm weather persists
into late autumn/winter, year after year, and insect activity remains
strong :)

I still have all of my salvia in pots outside, 2 hanging baskets going
strong, my wild rhododendron has just sent a few flowers out... the days are
lovely for walking on the beach too....

I've just driven past some flowering cow parsley, the Acanthus is coming
through quite boldly and Dahlias etc. are still persistent.

I'm still getting a few ripe strawberries.
--
David in Normandy
Old 06-11-2007, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kleopatra" wrote in message
ps.com...
Here we are into November, and still I have flies buzzing round
strongly inside the house and wasps doing the flower rounds in the
garden....... (I plan to keep recording this as warm weather persists
into late autumn/winter, year after year, and insect activity remains
strong :)

Yes, isn't it weird? Huge bluebottle on my window only yesterday, and I
still have a very good display of roses (Staffordshire) that I am reluctant
to cut back yet.

I remember "when I wuz a girl" (.... being 40 yrs ago...!!!) we were often
into quite hard frosts on Bonfire Night, certainly many mornings. It was
"into the liberty bodice" for the next 4 months or so! (God, does anyone
else remember those things???) I've definitely noticed a considerable
difference in the winter weather.

Well..... they did promise us very wet summers and warm winters!

Barb UK

Old 06-11-2007, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 15:00:41 -0000, " cupra"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

Fuschias are still flowering in West Somerset:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14662771@N00/1859486846/

And blooming merrily in SE Wales

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³
Old 06-11-2007, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message

I'm still getting a few ripe strawberries.
--
David in Normandy

Showoff.

I'm still picking runners.

And yesterday a queen bumble bee was visiting the heather by the pond.

Daffodils and crocus poking their heads through - oh, and a berberis has
buds and the odd orange flower on it.

Bit worrying, really ...

Mary

Old 06-11-2007, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Barb" wrote in message

I remember "when I wuz a girl" (.... being 40 yrs ago...!!!)

Spring chicken then :-)

we were often into quite hard frosts on Bonfire Night, certainly many
mornings. It was "into the liberty bodice" for the next 4 months or so!
(God, does anyone else remember those things???)

Indeed I do. And I remember winter mornings so cold that my little fingers
couldn't fasten the rubber buttons. Why were there so many? And why were
they called *liberty* bodices when they were so binding? But we had one
small coal fire in the two bedroomed scullery back to back house, no central
heating, electric blankets or even a carpet on the floor. The fire was only
lit when it was really cold and in the winter of '47 my father walked with
the pram to get slack from the spoil heaps at the nearest pit, which was
about six miles away.

I've definitely noticed a considerable difference in the winter weather.

Well..... they did promise us very wet summers and warm winters!

It's not good, is it! I'm sure that luxuries such as central heating has an
effect in keeping at least the cities warmer. I've noticed that our
daughter's fam in deepest Wales isn't anything like as warm as it is here in
inner city Leeds. We haven't had a frost since January.

Mary

Old 06-11-2007, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mary Fisher writes

Indeed I do. And I remember winter mornings so cold that my little fingers
couldn't fasten the rubber buttons. Why were there so many? And why were
they called *liberty* bodices when they were so binding?

I thought it was because they were a lot less binding than the corsets
they replaced?

--
Kay

Cymbidium coming into flower again David Hill United Kingdom 1 11-10-2015 10:56 PM
White flies at it again Guv Bob Lawns 12 18-05-2011 09:51 AM
try persisting the junction's real fax and Margaret will prompt you Ratana Ponds 0 18-11-2007 04:52 PM
Steveo Spanked Again - Was: rat does the tard dance...again Aratzio Lawns 35 10-07-2004 01:02 AM