Old 09-11-2007, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Accelerate the compost

In message
K wrote:

Campa-Man writes

No, no, it's definitely a man thing! (a) they have the equipment and (b)
they have different hormones. I'm told that Copella fruit juice bottles
are
quite convenient because they have a large enough opening.

Best bottles are.... Fabric Conditioner ones, lovely large opening :-0

And built-in odour control, according to a wild-camping friend of mine

Most of this thread went past before I picked up on it. I have often
been irritated by the fact that most of the material you gather is
gathered in the autumn and winter is cold when there will be no
decomposition. What can be done about that?

1) Very thick insulation and a low wattage electric heater on the end
of a spear which is poked into the compost.

2) Very thick insulation, as above, but heat supplied from a solar
collector, and the heat brought down by a heat pipe.

Both of these are possible, but what are the economics?

It might not be too hard even if you pay out of your own pocket. If a
proper price was paid for collection, transport and final disposal I
think it should be very economic.

Michael Bell

Old 10-11-2007, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"R" wrote in message

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...
On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 16:51:11 +0000, Sheila wrote
(in article ) :

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 12:01:32 -0000, "TheScullster"

wrote:

"CWatters" wrote

Anything I can do to speed up the process? I've been adding leaves
now
that
we have loads falling.

What the others have said and add Garrotta

and stand with your back to the wind.

my mind boggles, I try to visualise myself trying to balance on the
top of
mine, its taller than me.....plus I'm a lady...... then some bright
spark
says, why not put it in a jug........

actually, how much do we actually need? or how often!

No, no, it's definitely a man thing! (a) they have the equipment and
(b)
they have different hormones. I'm told that Copella fruit juice bottles
are
quite convenient because they have a large enough opening.

Sorry..........not big enough.................BTDTGTTS ;-)

Now trying a wine carafe......

No commentg.

One man should be enough - in a compost sense I mean. Apply daily (just
watch the double-entendres in that one!).

What about emptying the contents of a chemical camping toilet on there?

Don't laugh. Think about it. What are the chemicals there for? What 'are'
the contents?

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Probably not a good idea the ones I've used have had Formaldehyde in the
chemical solution which is likely to kill the bacteria you need to promote I
understand there are some enzyme based ones about not seen one so
far........
Derek

Old 10-11-2007, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek" wrote in message

What about emptying the contents of a chemical camping toilet on there?

Don't laugh. Think about it. What are the chemicals there for? What 'are'
the contents?

Mike

Probably not a good idea the ones I've used have had Formaldehyde in the
chemical solution which is likely to kill the bacteria you need to promote
I understand there are some enzyme based ones about not seen one so
far........
Derek

So how do they work? Sorry I haven't a clue, but I thought that the chemical
was to break down the solid matter and it was that which gave me the idea!!

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Alan Holmes writes

Well, we didn't deposit directly. We used a bucket.

Why did you bother with a bucket, it is possible to put it on directly!

It is, but since the house was half way up the castle mound, the garden
was rather visible from quite a long way. And there was not way i was
going to deliver the night time contributions directly, certainly not in
winter!

--
Kay
Old 10-11-2007, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Michael Bell writes

Most of this thread went past before I picked up on it. I have often
been irritated by the fact that most of the material you gather is
gathered in the autumn and winter is cold when there will be no
decomposition. What can be done about that?

It does decompose, just slower.
--
Kay

Old 10-11-2007, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Michael Bell writes

Most of this thread went past before I picked up on it. I have often
been irritated by the fact that most of the material you gather is
gathered in the autumn and winter is cold when there will be no
decomposition. What can be done about that?

It does decompose, just slower.
--
Kay

Did you know that if you go to Bach's grave at Midnight on Halloween and put
your ear to the headstone you can hear all of Bach's music being played
backwards?

The explanation is that it is Bach decomposing

Mike

Old 10-11-2007, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Alan Holmes writes

Well, we didn't deposit directly. We used a bucket.

Why did you bother with a bucket, it is possible to put it on directly!

It is, but since the house was half way up the castle mound, the garden
was rather visible from quite a long way. And there was not way i was
going to deliver the night time contributions directly, certainly not in
winter!

I might be a bit reluctant to that at this time of year as well!