Old 08-11-2007, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Butcher's Blue?

A fellow gardener from Ballinger has asked if I would try and find out
about a plant with the name of 'Butcher's Blue' or, she says, it might
be Blue Butcher.
She doesn't know what the rest of the name is, I gather she saw it in a
garden near Banbury, but she would love to buy a plant.
I've suggested Butcher's broom but she says it's definitely got BLUE in
the name.

Any suggestions?
I will get her to send a description if that helps.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 08-11-2007, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

Can't think of one offhand, though I'll consult the Oracle. ;-) She's not
thinking of Perovskia Blue Spire or Ruta graveolens Jackman's Blue, is she?

No she's quite a clued up gardener, apparently she asked the owner of
the garden and she was told that the variety was Butcher's Blue. She's
wading through all plants with blue in the name at the moment via the
Plantfinder! She likes cottagey stuff so I am assuming it's a perennial
or a hardy annual.

Janet
Old 08-11-2007, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:

| Sorry Janet there are no entries for Butchers, and only 2 for Butcher and
| both of those are Malus varieties. I would suggest it was a description
| of the colour.

Bloody Butcher is a decorative maize. Blue Jade is another. I reply
merely to confuse.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Uncle Marvo
writes

Butcher's blue is a colour, not a variety. Like cobalt blue, royal blue etc.
Or like buddleia "royal purple", for instance.

http://www.broadstripebutchers.co.uk...ad_Stripe_Butc
her_s_Apron.html

It's nearly black, see?

HTH

Sort of reflex blue then?

Thanks for the mention of the colour, I'll pass it on!

janet

Old 08-11-2007, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

Sorry Janet there are no entries for Butchers, and only 2 for Butcher and
both of those are Malus varieties. I would suggest it was a description
of the colour.

I know! How irritating is that! She is sure that's what the owner of the
garden said but of curse it might 'sound' like Butcher's Blue or Blue
Butcher I guess.

Still thank you for trying. I also looked which was why I wondered at
first about Butcher's broom
Old 08-11-2007, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Bloody Butcher is a decorative maize. Blue Jade is another. I reply
merely to confuse.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Passed on thanks Nick.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

She isn't a teensy bit hard of hearing is he? Butcher's Blue actually being
Butcher's Broom?

Well she'd only in her late 30's! However that's what I thought at first
myself Sacha.

She's got a lovely old garden, about 2 acres and a few pigs and chicken.
Bees and doves so she likes olde worlde things. She appeared in Amateur
gardener last year seated on a huge wavy bench/seat that her husband
made for her. She'd really arty so when she's sees something she likes
she goes all out to get that one particular colour or plant She'd
never buy three on the way up the nursery aisle before getting to the
one she came for like several of us
Old 08-11-2007, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" schreef in bericht
A fellow gardener from Ballinger has asked if I would try and find out
about a plant with the name of 'Butcher's Blue' or, she says, it might be
Blue Butcher.
She doesn't know what the rest of the name is, I gather she saw it in a
garden near Banbury, but she would love to buy a plant.
I've suggested Butcher's broom but she says it's definitely got BLUE in
the name.

Any suggestions?
I will get her to send a description if that helps.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph