GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Stop the killing of grey squirrels (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/166578-re-stop-killing-grey-squirrels.html)

UkJay 08-11-2007 11:16 AM

Stop the killing of grey squirrels

I love grey squirrels, even if they do drive me mad watching them come
back and forwards
like something possessed in my garden.

Did anyone see autumn watch where someone may be introducing Wild
Boars
into The Forest Of Dean?
They could have introduced a few Red Squirrels while theyre at it ;-)

James
http://www.ukjay.co.uk

On 8 Nov, 07:58, Gloria wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 00:00:57 +0000, wrote:
Read Professor Acorn's website

www.grey-squirrel.org.uk

As the funding is now being slashed for CONservation hooliganism these
days, perhaps we will see a decline in the fabricated grant seeking
scare stories about wildlife decline, and let Britain's diverse
species and habitat be!

Which would be great for the vast majority of the population who enjoy
grey squirrels, ruddy ducks etc.

BAC 08-11-2007 01:46 PM

Stop the killing of grey squirrels

"UkJay" wrote in message
oups.com...
I love grey squirrels, even if they do drive me mad watching them come
back and forwards
like something possessed in my garden.

Did anyone see autumn watch where someone may be introducing Wild
Boars
into The Forest Of Dean?
They could have introduced a few Red Squirrels while theyre at it ;-)

James
http://www.ukjay.co.uk

It'd probably be a waste of time and money reintroducing red squirrels into
the Forest of Dean, because they'd be unlikely to survive. Wild Boars seem
to thrive in the wild in the UK as it is now, however. Hence they're likely
to be condemned as pests.

Alan Holmes[_2_] 08-11-2007 03:32 PM

Stop the killing of grey squirrels

"UkJay" wrote in message
oups.com...
I love grey squirrels, even if they do drive me mad watching them come
back and forwards
like something possessed in my garden.

Good for you, but for a large number of the damned things they are a pest
which causes a lot of damage, and I always encourage anyone to kill the
damned things.

Did anyone see autumn watch where someone may be introducing Wild
Boars
into The Forest Of Dean?
They could have introduced a few Red Squirrels while theyre at it ;-)

I would encourage the return of the red squirrel!

James
http://www.ukjay.co.uk

BAC 08-11-2007 03:55 PM

Stop the killing of grey squirrels

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"UkJay" wrote in message
oups.com...
I love grey squirrels, even if they do drive me mad watching them come
back and forwards
like something possessed in my garden.

Good for you, but for a large number of the damned things they are a pest
which causes a lot of damage, and I always encourage anyone to kill the
damned things.

snip

I would encourage the return of the red squirrel!

Ironically, when red squirrels were plentiful in the UK, they, too, were
classed as vermin, and described as 'tree rats', and were the subject of
organised pest control campaigns.

Campa-Man 08-11-2007 04:07 PM

Stop the killing of grey squirrels

Did anyone see autumn watch where someone may be introducing Wild
Boars
into The Forest Of Dean?
They could have introduced a few Red Squirrels while theyre at it ;-)

James
http://www.ukjay.co.uk

The Wild Boar have been in the Forest of Dean a few years now, they are
thought to have escaped from a local heard?flock?sty?

Sheila 08-11-2007 05:54 PM

Stop the killing of grey squirrels

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"UkJay" wrote in message
oups.com...
Did anyone see autumn watch where someone may be introducing Wild
Boars
into The Forest Of Dean?
They could have introduced a few Red Squirrels while theyre at it ;-)

I would encourage the return of the red squirrel!

I have red squirrels in my garden, (Formby) they are so sweet, if we see a
grey, we have to report it and the ranger goes and kills the nasty American
pest!

to see them if you live outside the northwest, go to BBC site, the Nature of
Britain site, and look on the where you live section, click on the + sign
just over Liverpool, and zoom in until details appear, then you can see the
cute little rats with tails!

Gloria 08-11-2007 05:57 PM

Stop the killing of grey squirrels

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 15:32:02 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"UkJay" wrote in message
roups.com...
I love grey squirrels, even if they do drive me mad watching them come
back and forwards
like something possessed in my garden.

Good for you, but for a large number of the damned things they are a pest
which causes a lot of damage, and I always encourage anyone to kill the
damned things.

The same issues apply equally to reds. In fact it wasn't so long ago
that they had a bounty on their heads up North and were brought almost
to extinction because of it, and habitat decline.

The red problems have nothing to do with the greys despite what the
CONservation hooligans would tell us.

Did anyone see autumn watch where someone may be introducing Wild
Boars
into The Forest Of Dean?
They could have introduced a few Red Squirrels while theyre at it ;-)

I would encourage the return of the red squirrel!

It never was in the forest of dean!

James
http://www.ukjay.co.uk

Gloria 08-11-2007 05:58 PM

Stop the killing of grey squirrels

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 15:55:59 -0000, "BAC"
wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"UkJay" wrote in message
oups.com...
I love grey squirrels, even if they do drive me mad watching them come
back and forwards
like something possessed in my garden.

Good for you, but for a large number of the damned things they are a pest
which causes a lot of damage, and I always encourage anyone to kill the
damned things.

snip

I would encourage the return of the red squirrel!

Ironically, when red squirrels were plentiful in the UK, they, too, were
classed as vermin, and described as 'tree rats', and were the subject of
organised pest control campaigns.

They still are by the foresters.

Gloria 08-11-2007 06:25 PM

Stop the killing of grey squirrels

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 17:54:35 GMT, "Sheila"
wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"UkJay" wrote in message
oups.com...
Did anyone see autumn watch where someone may be introducing Wild
Boars
into The Forest Of Dean?
They could have introduced a few Red Squirrels while theyre at it ;-)

I would encourage the return of the red squirrel!

I have red squirrels in my garden, (Formby) they are so sweet, if we see a
grey, we have to report it and the ranger goes and kills the nasty American
pest!

Idiot! A squirrels a squirrel, but I guess some people are just so
gullible!

UkJay 09-11-2007 08:18 AM

Stop the killing of grey squirrels

Desiderata
Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace
there may be in silence...
They are a creature of the universe, They have a right to be here.

James
http://www.ukjay.co.uk

oups.com...

On 8 Nov, 07:58, Gloria wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 00:00:57 +0000, wrote:
Read Professor Acorn's website

www.grey-squirrel.org.uk

As the funding is now being slashed for CONservation hooliganism these
days, perhaps we will see a decline in the fabricated grant seeking
scare stories about wildlife decline, and let Britain's diverse
species and habitat be!

Which would be great for the vast majority of the population who enjoy
grey squirrels, ruddy ducks etc.- Hide quoted text -

Gloria 09-11-2007 10:04 AM

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 08:18:06 -0000, UkJay wrote:

Desiderata
Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace
there may be in silence...
They are a creature of the universe, They have a right to be here.

Classic song.

On 8 Nov, 15:32, "Alan Holmes" wrote:

oups.com...

Alan Holmes[_2_] 09-11-2007 12:48 PM

Stop the killing of grey squirrels

"UkJay" wrote in message
oups.com...
Desiderata
Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace
there may be in silence...
They are a creature of the universe, They have a right to be here.

They do not have the right to kill other creatures and cause so much damage!

James
http://www.ukjay.co.uk

On 8 Nov, 15:32, "Alan Holmes" wrote:

oups.com...

Gloria 09-11-2007 12:57 PM

Stop the killing of grey squirrels

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 12:48:16 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"UkJay" wrote in message
roups.com...
Desiderata
Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace
there may be in silence...
They are a creature of the universe, They have a right to be here.

They do not have the right to kill other creatures and cause so much damage!

No more so than us!

James
http://www.ukjay.co.uk

On 8 Nov, 15:32, "Alan Holmes" wrote:

oups.com...

Granity 09-11-2007 01:46 PM

Quote:

Stop the killing of grey squirrels

Why? They make good paté

Alan Holmes[_2_] 09-11-2007 03:27 PM

"Granity" wrote in message

Stop the killing of grey squirrels

Why? They make good paté

I've never found one with enough meat on it to bother skinning it!