Old 08-11-2007, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sprouts question

Never grown them before (Brussels Sprouts that is)
I think I may be doing something wrong but cant work
out what.
Basically mine are growing quite well but the sprout part
is opening up like a flower and not becoming a tight ball
as they should be.
Can someone point me in the right direction please ??

Wally

Old 08-11-2007, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Wally wrote:

Never grown them before (Brussels Sprouts that is)
I think I may be doing something wrong but cant work
out what.
Basically mine are growing quite well but the sprout part
is opening up like a flower and not becoming a tight ball
as they should be.
Can someone point me in the right direction please ??

Wally

Did you firm up the ground before planting them? Brussles Sprouts do
like firm ground, I understand that what you are experiencing is a
result of not doing this.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Wally
writes
Never grown them before (Brussels Sprouts that is)
I think I may be doing something wrong but cant work
out what.
Basically mine are growing quite well but the sprout part
is opening up like a flower and not becoming a tight ball
as they should be.
Can someone point me in the right direction please ??

Wally

Usually it's because the ground isn't or rather hasn't been firmed
enough, they don't like loose soil, which is why you should heel in the
plants when you transplant them to there final positions.

The term is 'blown' I believe.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 08-11-2007, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Usually it's because the ground isn't or rather hasn't been firmed
enough, they don't like loose soil, which is why you should heel in the
plants when you transplant them to there final positions.

The term is 'blown' I believe.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Thank you Janet and Peter, is all lost or can something be
done to save them??

Wally

Old 08-11-2007, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message

Usually it's because the ground isn't or rather hasn't been firmed
enough, they don't like loose soil, which is why you should heel in the
plants when you transplant them to there final positions.

The term is 'blown' I believe.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Thank you Janet and Peter, is all lost or can something be
done to save them??

Wally

All is not lost, they still taste good to eat :-))

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message
Never grown them before (Brussels Sprouts that is)
I think I may be doing something wrong but cant work
out what.
Basically mine are growing quite well but the sprout part
is opening up like a flower and not becoming a tight ball
as they should be.
Can someone point me in the right direction please ??

Make me fart do sprouts

Old 08-11-2007, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you Janet and Peter, is all lost or can something be
done to save them??

Wally

All is not lost, they still taste good to eat :-))

Mike

That's good to hear Mike, thank you.

Wally

Old 08-11-2007, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message
Never grown them before (Brussels Sprouts that is)
I think I may be doing something wrong but cant work
out what.
Basically mine are growing quite well but the sprout part
is opening up like a flower and not becoming a tight ball
as they should be.

That is not the problem I have, it's the damned pidgeons which eat the
things before I can get to them!

Old 09-11-2007, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 8, 12:19 pm, "Wally" wrote:
Never grown them before (Brussels Sprouts that is)
I think I may be doing something wrong but cant work
out what.
Basically mine are growing quite well but the sprout part
is opening up like a flower and not becoming a tight ball
as they should be.
Can someone point me in the right direction please ??

Wally

Try wrapping a rubber band around them. My grandfather used duct
tape. Don't laugh; it worked.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Nov., 22:16, " Tez berk" wrote:
Make me fart do sprouts

Isn't that a major problem for you? I mean you being a bit of an
arsehole?

Old 09-11-2007, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ps.com...
On 8 Nov., 22:16, " Tez berk" wrote:
Make me fart do sprouts

Isn't that a major problem for you? I mean you being a bit of an
arsehole?

adslplus.ch Abuse report filed

Old 09-11-2007, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

King Queer wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

That is not the problem I have, it's the damned pidgeons which eat the
things before I can get to them!

Pigeons

Nah, Alan was writing in pi(d)gin English. :-)

Regards

--
Alan Johnson, Geotr@ns
www.geotrans-online.de
Old 09-11-2007, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message
Never grown them before (Brussels Sprouts that is)
I think I may be doing something wrong but cant work
out what.
Basically mine are growing quite well but the sprout part
is opening up like a flower and not becoming a tight ball
as they should be.

That is not the problem I have, it's the damned pidgeons which eat the
things before I can get to them!

Pigeons

I never was much good at speeling, so thank you for correcting my error!

Old 09-11-2007, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "King Queer" contains
these words:
wrote in message
ps.com...
On 8 Nov., 22:16, " Tez berk" wrote:
Make me fart do sprouts

Isn't that a major problem for you? I mean you being a bit of an
arsehole?

adslplus.ch Abuse report filed

Why? Because someone called someone else an arsehole?

Didn't you just call someone in afpf an arsehole this morning?

--

Please lets keep this civil..You have been warned

B.T. technical support: Technical Support helpdesk: 0906 301 2456.