Old 11-11-2007, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can I draw your attention to

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:01:03 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"Mike Claytton" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 13:14:39 GMT, "Alan Jones"
wrote:

"Paul Narramore" wrote in
message ...

Hello
This is my first post here but already I'm a bit puzzled. The note at
the top of the page states the post I'm about to reply to will be
quoted below. Why? Other message boards I write on simply lists the
posts as it is always obvious what the writer is referring to.
[...]

This isn't a message board, of course; newsgroups may have different
protocols from what you are accustomed to. When you type your reply, you
can
always snip any irrelevant parts of the quoted material, as I have just
done.

Actually it isn't "always obvious what the writer is referring to", since
the newsgroup messages are listed in a random order. Even if you are able
set your newsreader to show messages by subject, your reply post may
refer
to a previous message a long way down the stack, and threads often wander
long way from the initial point. It's easier for readers if the context
is
immediately apparent and doesn't need to be hunted down.

By default I see messages, threaded by subject and in chronological
order.

*So ****ing what!*

Oh dear, another:-

!PLONK!

!KIDDIE FIDDLER!
Old 11-11-2007, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:49:59 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 11/11/07 05:40, in article ,
"Paul Narramore" wrote:

Hello
This is my first post here but already I'm a bit puzzled. The note at
the top of the page states the post I'm about to reply to will be
quoted below. Why? Other message boards I write on simply lists the
posts as it is always obvious what the writer is referring to. This
seems to me to be an unneccessarily long winded way of creating a
thread, don't you think? Imagine you are conversation with a friend and
you say to the friend "I finally got around to pruning my
fremontodendron this afternoon" and he replies "I got around to pruning
my fremontodendron this afternoon. Oh did you? Did it take you long."
Seems a bit odd to me. What do you all think?
Paul

You'll find it much easier to use uk.rec.gardening if you subscribe to it
directly, rather than through Garden Banter. Some urg subscribers won't
reply to those coming through Garden Banter because GB takes our posts and
uses them on a commercial site, without so much as a by-your-leave or a
'thank you'.
Apart from that, using a newsreader program makes it less complicated for
you to follow what's going on here. Conventionally, this group tends
towards bottom posting because it's rather like having a conversation. You
reply to what someone has said, rather than anticipating it!
All that said, welcome to urg.

!SHUT THE **** UP!
Old 11-11-2007, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Paul Narramore
writes

Hello
This is my first post here but already I'm a bit puzzled. The note at
the top of the page states the post I'm about to reply to will be
quoted below. Why?

You're visiting this newsgroup via Garden banter. It will be much easier
if you just come and see us all in the original state, i.e., UK Rec
Gardens newsgroup

janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 12-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

1) Do not feed Trolls, it only encourages them. :-)

2) I personally find trawling through news group postings a total pain nowadays, ( I belong to several) the forum system is so much easier to read in on something and ignore threads that don't interest you. As for advertisements, with a browser such as 'Firefox' using the 'NoScript' add on I don't see any adverts at all. (except the ones in your signatures :-)

Mind you I don't expect you to change. :-)

Old 12-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
1) Do not feed Trolls, it only encourages them. :-)

2) I personally find trawling through news group postings a total pain nowadays, ( I belong to several) the forum system is so much easier to read in on something and ignore threads that don't interest you. As for advertisements, with a browser such as 'Firefox' using the 'NoScript' add on I don't see any adverts at all. (except the ones in your signatures :-)

Mind you I don't expect you to change. :-)
Thanks ladies for your replies although being technically challenged I didn't really understand them. However I do understand offensive behaviour which I find quite amazing on a gardening message board, so thanks all the same but I'll quietly return to my usual place to chat. I've always found gardeners are very pleasant people to deal with, but that was weird. Bye.
Paul
Old 12-11-2007, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan Holmes wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:01:03 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"Mike Claytton" wrote in
message

wrote:

[...]