Old 10-11-2007, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can I sow any of my veggie seeds now?

Newbie veg question...
I have a freshly dug veg patch into which I have planted field beens,
as green manure, which I intend to dig in, in 2 or 3 months, to fix
nitrogen to the soil, ready for next year's vegetable planting.

I have a selection of vegetable seeds here (listed below) all of which
are supposed to be sown after January, according to the instructions.

Can I sow any of them now, with a view to having something edible as
early as possible? I have the use of a greenhouse with a heater so
I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to plant some of the veg in
small pots or something, so that they can be planted out when winter
has passed. I don't have much vacant space in the greenhouse; there is
room for only about 30 plants. These are the seeds I have:

Sweet Peppers
Beetroot
Mustard cress
Tomatos
Cucumbers
Radishes
Lettuce
Chili peppers
Spring onion
Cabbages
Sweetcorn
Broccili
Leeks
Onion
Courgettes
Carrots
Spinach
Parsnip Sprouts
Sweet Peppers
Beetroot
Mustard cress
Tomatos
Cucumbers
Radishes
Lettuce
Chili peppers
Spring onion
Cabbages
Sweetcorn
Broccili
Leeks
Onion
Courgettes
Carrots
Spinach
Parsnip Sprouts

TIA for any advice.

Regards,

JD

Old 11-11-2007, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , JakeD
writes

Newbie veg question...
I have a freshly dug veg patch into which I have planted field beens,
as green manure, which I intend to dig in, in 2 or 3 months, to fix
nitrogen to the soil, ready for next year's vegetable planting.

I have a selection of vegetable seeds here (listed below) all of which
are supposed to be sown after January, according to the instructions.

Where on earth did you get the seeds from Jake? Normal packets have the
month of sowing on the back. Unless you are misunderstanding the text.
If it says sow in January then it usually means.. Sow in January not
that you have to wait until after January!

There is a very good guide for seed sowing on Nickys Seeds
http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seed...s/calendar.htm

though as you get more experience you will be able to adjust this
calendar slightly for you own conditions and location.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 11-11-2007, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

There is a very good guide for seed sowing on Nickys Seeds
http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seed...s/calendar.htm

What an excellent site, thank you!

Mary

Old 11-11-2007, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 14:28:10 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Where on earth did you get the seeds from Jake? Normal packets have the
month of sowing on the back. Unless you are misunderstanding the text.
If it says sow in January then it usually means.. Sow in January

Oh yes, the seed packets do have the month of sowing printed on them,
but I didn't whether it was vital to adhere to what's printed. I
thought perhaps one could ignore the recommended month of sowing
provided one takes suitable measures to protect the seedlings from
frost etc.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying that the rules should be more or less
adhered to.

JD

Old 11-11-2007, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Mary Fisher
writes

There is a very good guide for seed sowing on Nickys Seeds
http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seed...s/calendar.htm

What an excellent site, thank you!

Mary

Isn't it just?

I have ordered from them quite often and they have a wide selection of
seeds but more importantly I like the information on the site. I printed
out their calendar several times!

Janet

Old 11-11-2007, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , JakeD
writes

. I
thought perhaps one could ignore the recommended month of sowing
provided one takes suitable measures to protect the seedlings from
frost etc.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying that the rules should be more or less
adhered to.

JD

It isn't just the temperature that's important, it is also the light
levels and other variants.

Janet
Old 11-11-2007, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 22:25:49 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

It isn't just the temperature that's important, it is also the light
levels and other variants.

I thought maybe the traditional order of things was now so haywire
that the theoretical schedules no longer applied. We've got clematis
in full flower here, in November, for example..

JD

Old 12-11-2007, 01:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , JakeD
writes

I thought maybe the traditional order of things was now so haywire
that the theoretical schedules no longer applied. We've got clematis
in full flower here, in November, for example..

JD

But germination is a different thing entirely. Some seeds like lettuce
won't germinate if it's too hot, some seeds need a period of cold before
germination, some vegetables would be hit by frost if they germinated
too early and had to be planted out before the last frost had appeared.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeD[_3_] View Post
Newbie veg question...
I have a freshly dug veg patch into which I have planted field beens,
as green manure, which I intend to dig in, in 2 or 3 months, to fix
nitrogen to the soil, ready for next year's vegetable planting.

I have a selection of vegetable seeds here (listed below) all of which
are supposed to be sown after January, according to the instructions.

Can I sow any of them now, with a view to having something edible as
early as possible? I have the use of a greenhouse with a heater so
I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to plant some of the veg in
small pots or something, so that they can be planted out when winter
has passed.

I've found the www.gardenate.com vege planting reminders very useful. They send an email of suggestions for what to plant each month (or week, but that's too frequent for my needs). Not much there for Dec/January, but I'm looking forward to February.

Liz
Old 12-12-2007, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

An interesting site thanks

"vegegran" wrote in message

'JakeD[_3_ Wrote:
;759078']Newbie veg question...
[...]

What flower seeds to sow now? Luke Australia 2 03-07-2008 03:03 AM
To sow or not to sow? William Rose Edible Gardening 10 16-04-2007 08:10 PM
veg to sow now H Ryder United Kingdom 3 02-08-2005 02:15 PM
better fill sauces now or Wednesday will partly sow them over you [email protected] United Kingdom 0 24-07-2005 01:51 PM
better pull porters now or Cathy will stupidly sow them through you [email protected] United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 12:38 PM