Old 13-11-2007, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The plastic bag free town

On 13/11/07 12:47, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:24:04 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

On 13/11/07 09:48, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

snip

Huh! Then why is it, I ask myself, when I (rarely) shop at Tesco's, and
stand there waving my own canvas bags and saying "I've got my own bags", do
they just automatically spread out the plastic ones in my way. I have been
known to have to say this three times before they take any notice. And why,
then, when I say, patiently, "you will re-use those, won't you?" when the
bags are then shoved under the counter, do they look at me blankly as though
I come from Mars?

It's all right, you don't need to answer that - just my morning rant for the
day :-)

;-)) Feeling better? I think they've only just started this initiative -
and I hope I'm right it's Tesco because now I've got a sneaky feeling I'm
not and it's M&S. So much for my morning-paper-reading attention span.
With Tesco however, if I do an online order, which I usually do, I get
'green points' if I don't ask for things to be delivered in carrier bags
unless 'absolutely necessary'. They are the ones who decide what is
'absolutely necessary' but I do end up with very few bags. When we do have
a collection, I take them to a couple of local shops who don't have their
own and they happily re-use them. Otherwise, I have the good old wicker
shopping basket and a canvas shopper. Looking for a bicycle basket the
other day (not for me!) I came across this lovely site with irresistible
baskets on it. I have no idea why they fascinate me so much but there is
something so aesthetically pleasing about proper shopping baskets!
http://www.somersetlevels.co.uk/shop...rying-baskets/

Nice baskets, but I think I would feel seriously old with the basket on
wheelsg

Tempting to add a couple of bread knives to the axle, though eh? ;-)

We have our own green heavy-weight ones which are fantastic for shopping:
http://www.localtoludlow.org.uk/news.html (scroll down to the green ones
shown under October 2006).

Very good site and the bags look rather like the one I've bought from
Riverford Farm, except that theirs have wooden handles.
I'm sure our town council must be aware of the Modbury initiative but I'm
going to forward this to them, too. I've also contacted the Bio polybag co.
for quotes so I'm hoping they're not too expensive.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-11-2007, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

We use some plastic bags but our main 'carriers' are shallow cardboard
trays. They arrive flat and we make them up as needed. On busy days we
could almost have one person doing that job.
I think they cost us about 15p each

--
Sacha

15p plus the labour cost of making them up. How many can that 'one person'
make up per hour and what is the hourly rate?

So many businesses don't take the full cost of an item into consideration.

I was looking at a Roadside Public House which is on the market and the
cost of what I call 'Dead Money' on the Rent and Rates alone is £207.00
PER DAY.

When I had my factories, I did a 'Dead Money' calculation on Rent, Rates,
Gas and Electric Standing Charge, Telephone Rent, Insurances etc etc,
added it all up for the year and divided by 365. That was the cost,
Sundays, Christmas Day etc that was 'Money down the drain' BEFORE I paid
for the first member of staff to come in and switch a light on, flush the
loo, turn the heating up etc etc.

One of the hidden considerations I included in my book on starting a
business.

Sacha. Have you done a 'Dead Money' calculation? What it costs per day to
run your place as a business? I doubt it, not many do :-( They wait for
the end of the year, hand their books to the Accountant and then a year
after the Financial Year has closed, see how well they didn't do 18 months
ago :-(

Mike

Well what do you know?

Just picked this up off the front page :-))
.................................................. .........

Hidden costs 'raise US war price'

US Democrats say the wars are costing the US too much
The US wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are costing nearly double the
amount previously thought, according to a report set to be released by
Congress.
Democrats say the wars have cost $1.5 trillion - almost twice the
requested $804bn (£402bn) - because of "hidden costs", the Washington Post
reports.

.................................................. ......
Kindest regards

Mike
Who didn't come down with the last shower of rain :-)))
--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

Old 13-11-2007, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Boxes are fine at the nursery but at shows and plant sales, we use
bags, some customers bring their own, but we need to sell to people
that did not realise they wanted to buy something as well! so if
anyone knows of bags like plastic carriers but not made of plastic,
we remain interested to hear about them.

Try Bio bags:
http://www.biobag.no/default.pl?showPage=246

I was going to suggest compostable nappy bags but thought they might be too
small for your plants.

Thanks for that, they look the part, just need to find a stockest down
here (we only use a thousand per year)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 13-11-2007, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/11/07 14:33, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,

says...
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Boxes are fine at the nursery but at shows and plant sales, we use
bags, some customers bring their own, but we need to sell to people
that did not realise they wanted to buy something as well! so if
anyone knows of bags like plastic carriers but not made of plastic,
we remain interested to hear about them.

Try Bio bags:
http://www.biobag.no/default.pl?showPage=246

I was going to suggest compostable nappy bags but thought they might be too
small for your plants.

Thanks for that, they look the part, just need to find a stockest down
here (we only use a thousand per year)

Charlie, we use http://torbaypackaging.co.uk/ for some boxes but I don't
think they do biodegradable stuff. I'll email them to find out.

Old 13-11-2007, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 17:13:21 -0000, "Bob Hobden"

wrote:

Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic
bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

In the old days, supermarkets put out their cardboard boxes for you to
put stuff in, or charged you 10p for a carrier bag. What do they do
with all the boxes nowadays?

Incidentally if it's a plastic bag free town what do people put their
rubbish in for the dustmen to collect? Putting "naked" food waste in a
wheelly bin is extremely unhygienic.

Good point. I use plastic co-op bags (which are biodegradeable), but I bet
the townspeople buy binbags.

You can still get boxes in the co-op, they stack them against the wall by
the door and you help yourself. Some supermarkets, such as my local
Waitrose, never have them available. I expect they sell them :-)

Old 13-11-2007, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 13/11/07 14:33, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,

says...
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Boxes are fine at the nursery but at shows and plant sales, we use
bags, some customers bring their own, but we need to sell to people
that did not realise they wanted to buy something as well! so if
anyone knows of bags like plastic carriers but not made of plastic,
we remain interested to hear about them.

Try Bio bags:
http://www.biobag.no/default.pl?showPage=246

I was going to suggest compostable nappy bags but thought they might be too
small for your plants.

Thanks for that, they look the part, just need to find a stockest down
here (we only use a thousand per year)

Charlie, we use http://torbaypackaging.co.uk/ for some boxes but I don't
think they do biodegradable stuff. I'll email them to find out.

Just found this while googling for bio bags (which are very expensive by
the way 8X more than plastic) It made rather interesting reading and goes
some way to explain why the government are not pushing that hard to
change things.
http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/.../index.htm#bio
Old 13-11-2007, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 12, 8:14 pm, Des Higgins wrote:
On Nov 12, 5:30 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Martin" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

and if anyone thinks this is OT for this ng check out the site.

I'd be more impressed if they were giving away reuseable bags.

The site says that the local Co-op gave every household in the town a
re-usable cotton bag, further re-usable bags are available at a small
charge, even the take-always use biodegradable containers made of corn
starch .....this must be the way to go.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

It has been illegal to give free plastic bags in Irish shops for a few
years now. You can get them but have to ask and have to pay. Ireland
used to have an appalling litter problem; overnight we went from that
to merely having a bad litter problem. It needed a simple act of
government. Since then, people have gotten used to bringing their own
bags when going shopping. One barrier at the time was the amount of
economic activity that went onto making and distributing the
disposable bags; it is a big business. It worked almost immediately
and the supermarkets surived quite happily despite all the bleating
they did before hand, moaning about how civilisation would end etc.

Des- Hide quoted text -

What's really funny now is travelling to other countries, and feeling
majorly imposed upon at being handed a plastic bag for the purchase of
1 small very portable item.

Cat(h)

Old 13-11-2007, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

[...]

I found that in Spain recently. They like their bags. On the other hand, the
streets are paved with recycling bins, which is great. And they have bins on
railway stations. In bars, you just lob everything on the floor and it
magically disappears every night.

Old 13-11-2007, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

In article ,
says...
On 13/11/07 14:33, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Charlie Pridham wrote:

[...]

Yes, I sometimes wish I could believe some of the misguided twaddle put out
by DEFRA too. That article is condescending, implying that everybody is
stupid and doesn't know how to work a bag.

I particularly like "Government is taking steps to help tackle this form of
littering through a combination of regulatory options, partnership work and
awareness-raising. " The "form" of littering referred to is cigarette
litter.

A better option might be an invention called an "ashtray". Most pubs have
many more than they need now.

Old 13-11-2007, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic
bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

In the old days, supermarkets put out their cardboard boxes for you to
put stuff in, or charged you 10p for a carrier bag. What do they do
with all the boxes nowadays?

Incidentally if it's a plastic bag free town what do people put their
rubbish in for the dustmen to collect? Putting "naked" food waste in a
wheelly bin is extremely unhygienic.

They still put boxes out but now everyone is grabbibg them there are
never enough! We keep the reusable bags in our van so they are always to
hand.

Old 13-11-2007, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic
bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

In the old days, supermarkets put out their cardboard boxes for you to
put stuff in, or charged you 10p for a carrier bag. What do they do
with all the boxes nowadays?

I think they have to squash them flat and either take them to a tip or pay
for them to be taken away as trade waste. Last time I asked for one, I was
told that the store concerned had been told they couldn't keep them for
customers as they constitute a fire hazard.

Incidentally if it's a plastic bag free town what do people put their
rubbish in for the dustmen to collect? Putting "naked" food waste in a
wheelly bin is extremely unhygienic.

You aren't allowed to use plastic bags for food rubbish in this area anyway.
We buy special paper bags and sacks for the caddy bins that go under the
sink and the wheelie bins outside. We are only allowed to use plastic bags
- supplied by the South Hams District Council - for cardboard, newspapers,
general paper waste and another for tins and clear plastic bottles. Modbury
also comes under the SHDC. Those bags can be ordered online and are free,
the paper sacks or bags have to be bought, or you wrap your food waste in
old newspapers if you can't compost it.

Old 13-11-2007, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/11/07 15:31, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 13/11/07 14:33, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,

says...
Charlie Pridham wrote:

[...]

Hm, they're not that interested, are they? I'm afraid Defra just doesn't do
anything for me.

Old 14-11-2007, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Hm, they're not that interested, are they? I'm afraid Defra just
doesn't do anything for me.

You'd be unique if they did :-)

Free Website, Free Domain, Free Installation, Free Scripts hostnomi United Kingdom 0 25-03-2008 09:11 AM
GÃœRTAN PLASTIC - PLASTIC CRATES,PALLETS and ALL TYPE OF PLASTIC PRODUCTS [email protected] Edible Gardening 0 05-06-2007 09:11 AM
To Bag- or not to bag? Jos. Wheeler Lawns 25 10-04-2006 12:10 PM
To bag or not to bag 2 Gene Moon Lawns 1 13-06-2003 05:44 PM
To Bag or Not to Bag Gene Moon Lawns 3 09-06-2003 04:08 PM