Old 12-11-2007, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.natural-history,uk.rec.gardening

Default The plastic bag free town

Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

and if anyone thinks this is OT for this ng check out the site.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-11-2007, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.natural-history,uk.rec.gardening

On 12/11/07 17:13, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

and if anyone thinks this is OT for this ng check out the site.

Lovely little town and well done them for this initiative.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-11-2007, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

and if anyone thinks this is OT for this ng check out the site.

I'd be more impressed if they were giving away reuseable bags.

The site says that the local Co-op gave every household in the town a
re-usable cotton bag, further re-usable bags are available at a small
charge, even the take-always use biodegradable containers made of corn
starch .....this must be the way to go.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-11-2007, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/11/07 17:17, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 17:13:21 -0000, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

and if anyone thinks this is OT for this ng check out the site.

I'd be more impressed if they were giving away reuseable bags.

You're still paying for your supermarket plastic bag, you just don't know
how much! People value what they pay for, so they'll use those bags
elsewhere, too.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.natural-history,uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

and if anyone thinks this is OT for this ng check out the site.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK

Featured on TV some 6 months or more back. Made us buy the reusable bags and
used them since :-))

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.natural-history,uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 12, 9:13 am, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

and if anyone thinks this is OT for this ng check out the site.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK

does it mention how many of them own stock or shares
in the timber companies and paper-bag suppliers?
(ducking and running)

Old 12-11-2007, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

and if anyone thinks this is OT for this ng check out the site.

I'd be more impressed if they were giving away reuseable bags.

The site says that the local Co-op gave every household in the town a
re-usable cotton bag, further re-usable bags are available at a small
charge, even the take-always use biodegradable containers made of corn
starch .....this must be the way to go.

Agreed. How parsimonious, to want a free bag!

Mary

Old 12-11-2007, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 12, 5:30 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Martin" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

and if anyone thinks this is OT for this ng check out the site.

I'd be more impressed if they were giving away reuseable bags.

The site says that the local Co-op gave every household in the town a
re-usable cotton bag, further re-usable bags are available at a small
charge, even the take-always use biodegradable containers made of corn
starch .....this must be the way to go.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK

It has been illegal to give free plastic bags in Irish shops for a few
years now. You can get them but have to ask and have to pay. Ireland
used to have an appalling litter problem; overnight we went from that
to merely having a bad litter problem. It needed a simple act of
government. Since then, people have gotten used to bringing their own
bags when going shopping. One barrier at the time was the amount of
economic activity that went onto making and distributing the
disposable bags; it is a big business. It worked almost immediately
and the supermarkets surived quite happily despite all the bleating
they did before hand, moaning about how civilisation would end etc.

Des

Old 13-11-2007, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/11/07 17:51, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 17:39:01 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 12/11/07 17:17, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 17:13:21 -0000, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

and if anyone thinks this is OT for this ng check out the site.

I'd be more impressed if they were giving away reuseable bags.

You're still paying for your supermarket plastic bag, you just don't know
how much!

I'm not. I bought recyclable bags years ago. I don't recall the supermarket
that
made them available for a token amount getting any publicity.

Probably because they go on handing out plastic bags for which we all still
pay - even you. There *has* been publicity recently over Tesco's decision
to start charging 5p for plastic bags to 'force' people to re-use them.

Old 13-11-2007, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.natural-history,uk.rec.gardening

On 12/11/07 18:50, in article
, "Don H3"
wrote:

On Nov 12, 9:13 am, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

and if anyone thinks this is OT for this ng check out the site.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK

does it mention how many of them own stock or shares
in the timber companies and paper-bag suppliers?
(ducking and running)

I don't see what the problem would be if that were the case. Without
investment, companies can't continue to exist.

Old 13-11-2007, 01:53 AM posted to uk.rec.natural-history,uk.rec.gardening
ned ned is offline

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 12/11/07 18:50, in article
, "Don H3"
wrote:

On Nov 12, 9:13 am, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

and if anyone thinks this is OT for this ng check out the site.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK

does it mention how many of them own stock or shares
in the timber companies and paper-bag suppliers?
(ducking and running)

I don't see what the problem would be if that were the case. Without
investment, companies can't continue to exist.

..... burning up the resources

.........we borrow .. from our
children.'

Nah, no problem there.

ned

Old 13-11-2007, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 12/11/07 17:17, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 17:13:21 -0000, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

and if anyone thinks this is OT for this ng check out the site.

I'd be more impressed if they were giving away reuseable bags.

You're still paying for your supermarket plastic bag, you just don't know
how much! People value what they pay for, so they'll use those bags
elsewhere, too.

So does anyone have first hand experiance of plastic free bags which can
be used for wet plants? (we would gladly change but have never found any)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 13-11-2007, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 23:00:58 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

On 12/11/07 17:51, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 17:39:01 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 12/11/07 17:17, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

[...]

Huh! Then why is it, I ask myself, when I (rarely) shop at Tesco's, and
stand there waving my own canvas bags and saying "I've got my own bags", do
they just automatically spread out the plastic ones in my way. I have been
known to have to say this three times before they take any notice. And why,
then, when I say, patiently, "you will re-use those, won't you?" when the
bags are then shoved under the counter, do they look at me blankly as though
I come from Mars?

It's all right, you don't need to answer that - just my morning rant for the
day :-)

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 13-11-2007, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.natural-history,uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

and if anyone thinks this is OT for this ng check out the site.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK

There is an awful load of rubbish being spread about - about rubbish.
First the website spends a long time wailing about all the plastic in the
world.
Straw man. It's only the plastic bags that are this issue.
I wonder if there are any facts available on the effectiveness of projects
like
this. My suspicion is that they are ways some people try to assuage their
guilt about their useage of resources.
Take Christmas for example. How many of the people involved in that project
will buy more plastic in one set of Christmas presents than a whole years
useage
of plastic bags?

How many of them take their kids to school in a car when 15 minutes less
sleep
would give them time to walk them to school? How many have 4 by 4 vehicles,
never used for what they are designed, but to provide a fearful owner the
false
sense of protection from collision?
How many have a place in Europe, and are frequent fliers?
When all this is answered, it will still be a useless effort to leave well
meaning people
to be careful about their carbon footprint and prudence when using
materials.

Only governments have the power to force selfish people to behave sensibly.

Old 13-11-2007, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/11/07 08:47, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 12/11/07 17:17, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 17:13:21 -0000, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

and if anyone thinks this is OT for this ng check out the site.

I'd be more impressed if they were giving away reuseable bags.

You're still paying for your supermarket plastic bag, you just don't know
how much! People value what they pay for, so they'll use those bags
elsewhere, too.

So does anyone have first hand experiance of plastic free bags which can
be used for wet plants? (we would gladly change but have never found any)

We use some plastic bags but our main 'carriers' are shallow cardboard
trays. They arrive flat and we make them up as needed. On busy days we
could almost have one person doing that job.
I think they cost us about 15p each but at least we feel they're fairly
eco-friendly. One woman asked us if we would give her 'some', as her cat
likes to play with them! We said we would gladly do so but would have to
charge her for them. She seemed genuinely shocked to learn that this was
because we have to pay for them. ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

Free Website, Free Domain, Free Installation, Free Scripts hostnomi United Kingdom 0 25-03-2008 09:11 AM
GÃœRTAN PLASTIC - PLASTIC CRATES,PALLETS and ALL TYPE OF PLASTIC PRODUCTS [email protected] Edible Gardening 0 05-06-2007 09:11 AM
To Bag- or not to bag? Jos. Wheeler Lawns 25 10-04-2006 12:10 PM
To bag or not to bag 2 Gene Moon Lawns 1 13-06-2003 05:44 PM
To Bag or Not to Bag Gene Moon Lawns 3 09-06-2003 04:08 PM