Old 15-11-2007, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dragon fruit

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Obviously things take a bit longer to filter down to the west country. ;-)
| What do you do to the seeds before sowing them? By that, I mean do you just
| scoop them out of the fruit, gloop and all and plant them, or do you rinse
| them in cold water to get rid of the gloop and then plant them?

I did the former, roughly. Why not try both?

Oh, by the way, the other common name is Queen of the Night - which,
given David Poole's description, is not unreasonable.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-11-2007, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 14/11/07 18:28, in article , "Les
Hemmings" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
Captivated by the colour, I bought one of these the other day and we
ate it this morning. Doesn't taste of anything much but I wondered
if anyone had tried growing it from the seeds?

They romp away from seeds. Got a pot of 20 plants on the windowsill.
Must seperate them and pot them up properly...

Les

Obviously things take a bit longer to filter down to the west
country. ;-) What do you do to the seeds before sowing them? By
that, I mean do you just scoop them out of the fruit, gloop and all
and plant them, or do you rinse them in cold water to get rid of the
gloop and then plant them?

If I remember I scooped some gloop onto a teaspoon and then dotted it about
onto the compost and sieved a little compost VERY thinly over the top.

No mould or fungus just loads of very strange little seedlings. Starting out
like leaved succulents with two fleshy cotyledon leaves and then launching
into full, single stemmed cactus mode. They seem to have a long, thin stalk
preceding the large, fleshy cactus bit...

Very strange little things...

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"These people believe the souls of fried space aliens inhabit their
bodies and hold soup cans to get rid of them. I should care what they
think?"...Valerie Emmanuel

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 15-11-2007, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/11/07 09:03, in article , "Les
Hemmings" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 14/11/07 18:28, in article
, "Les
Hemmings" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Les. Sounds a tiny bit Little Shop of Horrors. ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-11-2007, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/11/07 08:43, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Obviously things take a bit longer to filter down to the west country.
;-)
| What do you do to the seeds before sowing them? By that, I mean do you
just
| scoop them out of the fruit, gloop and all and plant them, or do you rinse
| them in cold water to get rid of the gloop and then plant them?

I did the former, roughly. Why not try both?

Good idea. I'll have to remember to label them 'gloop' and 'no gloop'.

Oh, by the way, the other common name is Queen of the Night - which,
given David Poole's description, is not unreasonable.

Pretty name, too.

Old 15-11-2007, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/11/07 11:24, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

Maclaren" wrote:

Oh, by the way, the other common name is Queen of the Night - which,
given David Poole's description, is not unreasonable.

Pretty name, too.

It doesn't mean something else?

Er, no, I think that particular misnomer is "Lady of........" ;-)

Old 15-11-2007, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Nick Maclaren wrote:

Oh, by the way, the other common name is Queen of the Night - which,
given David Poole's description, is not unreasonable.

The 'original 'QOTN' is supposed to be Selenicereus grandiflorus, but
it seems that almost any night blooming cactus is dubbed with the same
name nowadays. Just goes to prove that any reliance on common names
is risky at best. There's a superficial similarity in flower shape,
size and colour, but see the two side-by-side and they are very
different.
Old 15-11-2007, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Dave Poole writes:

| Oh, by the way, the other common name is Queen of the Night - which,
| given David Poole's description, is not unreasonable.
|
| The 'original 'QOTN' is supposed to be Selenicereus grandiflorus, but
| it seems that almost any night blooming cactus is dubbed with the same
| name nowadays. Just goes to prove that any reliance on common names
| is risky at best. There's a superficial similarity in flower shape,
| size and colour, but see the two side-by-side and they are very
| different.

That fails to surprise me :-)

I have, of course, not seen either bloom! But they do sound impressive
by any standards!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Dragon Fruit qazwsxed Edible Gardening 0 30-05-2011 08:01 AM
Dragon Fruit - Pitaya - Hylocereus David D Stretch United Kingdom 5 23-05-2006 03:01 PM
Problems with Dracaena marginata (dragon Tree) mbelcher68 Gardening 0 15-10-2005 05:41 PM
Dragon Fruit GirlNextDoor Australia 8 23-08-2005 04:35 PM
Dragon fruit tosh Australia 1 06-08-2003 11:18 PM