Old 14-11-2007, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis seeds

Just been sowing mine, so if you have a mind to have a go - Nows the
time! look for the swollen bases and fluffy tops which tells you its both
viable and ripe.
May take a year or two to germinate but you could get something
stunning.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 14-11-2007, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
Just been sowing mine, so if you have a mind to have a go - Nows the
time! look for the swollen bases and fluffy tops which tells you its both
viable and ripe.
May take a year or two to germinate but you could get something
stunning.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

---------------------
Perhaps you may have had knowledge of my brother Vincent Denny whose
Clematis garden was just north of Preston. Lancs., England. He used to
lecture at distant places such as Poland where Clematis growuig is very well
supported.
He was also one of the Station Masters at Preston Railway Station.
I live in the Furness Peninsula at Barrow-in-Furness. I spent a lot of
time at his place and helped build his greenhouses, etc.etc. and sort out
the surrounds.
We built long tables with six-inch high edges. These were filled with
compost, about six to eight inches in height.
The majority of his plants were started inside; - "pricked-out"
(labelled, of course) and covered with polythene until they rooted. They
then were potted-on for a while, then arranged outside for extra viewing by
the visiting customers. You'd be surprised to know how many families like
to wander around such gardens at weekends and holiday-times.
Getting Clematis by planting seeds is just not on. His "Mother plants"
were all 'years-old' fully grown and these were used for propagation. That
is to say they were used to take cuttings from , - this method being the
most successful.
Here in my garden I have about 50 clematis on the fences of both sides of
my garden.
I too love them and derive much pleasure every year. They are planted in
such a manner as to take into consideration the fact that to get a long
season one has to plant clematii by knowing what part of the season they
will flower.
Then, in your garden you can get different colours and colour variations
all through the season.
Good gardening to all!.
Doug Denny.
----------------------

Old 15-11-2007, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

Hi Doug, yes I knew Vince, he was the one who persuded me to apply for
the national collection I hold! Do you have many of the cultivars he
raised in your garden? there are one or two the british Clematis society
were trying to track down. Sylvia has given me several over the years and
between them they certainly had an eye for a plant and raised many new
ones from seed. You are correct of course in saying you will not get the
same plant (although most of the species come true) but thats the point,
you get something unique and diffent, it may not be a worldbeater but the
trill of seeing them flower for the first time never goes :~)