Old 15-11-2007, 12:26 AM
Registered User

Default who else is growing ginger ?

Hello everyone..

i wonder if anyone else in u.k have been growing ginger this season? I started the ginger rhizome pretty late in the season in a container and i had good results, here is my method of growing ginger.

all thoughts welcome.

here is the link with pictures from start to finish
http://www.muslimgrower.com/discussi...hread.php?t=16
__________________
www.muslimgrower.com
Old 15-11-2007, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
sajid writes:

| i wonder if anyone else in u.k have been growing ginger this season? I
| started the ginger rhizome pretty late in the season in a container and
| i had good results, here is my method of growing ginger.

Congratulations!

I did, but failed dismally. It grew some weedy shoots, and I threw
it out. My problem was finding somewhere warm enough that was not
in full sun and liable to dry out quickly.

| here is the link with pictures from start to finish
| http://tinyurl.com/24s7vh

They aren't visible to casual visitors. I am signed up to too many
things to want to add more.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-11-2007, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 15, 8:48 am, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,sajid writes:

| i wonder if anyone else in u.k have been growing ginger this season? I
| started the ginger rhizome pretty late in the season in a container and
| i had good results, here is my method of growing ginger.

Congratulations!

I did, but failed dismally. It grew some weedy shoots, and I threw
it out. My problem was finding somewhere warm enough that was not
in full sun and liable to dry out quickly.

I don't think the summer was really warm enough for it this year.
Grows best in the warm end of a greenhouse with lots of moisture, heat
& light. Mine is doing OK, but it isn't ever going to be a worthwhile
crop. But it is quite a nice exotic looking foliage plant on the stems
that are left to grow. The rhizome never gets massively bigger for me
like it would in the tropics. But worth growing for the fresh young
ginger stems that when boiled are delicious if you like that sort of
thing. Much more tender and aromatic than anything you can buy.

| here is the link with pictures from start to finish
|http://tinyurl.com/24s7vh

They aren't visible to casual visitors. I am signed up to too many
things to want to add more.

AOLMe too./AOL

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 15-11-2007, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I grew some once, in a greenhouse from a peice of shop bought ginger
root. It grew a nice stem around a foot long. However, it died over
Winter. Not bothered since.

The photo is also not visible to me - "no permission". Far too much
hassle to register just to see a photo.

--
David in Normandy
Old 15-11-2007, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
sajid writes:

| i wonder if anyone else in u.k have been growing ginger this season? I
| started the ginger rhizome pretty late in the season in a container and
| i had good results, here is my method of growing ginger.

Congratulations!

I did, but failed dismally. It grew some weedy shoots, and I threw
it out. My problem was finding somewhere warm enough that was not
in full sun and liable to dry out quickly.

Same here :-(

Mary

Old 15-11-2007, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

| i wonder if anyone else in u.k have been growing ginger this season?

I did, but failed dismally. It grew some weedy shoots, and I threw
it out. My problem was finding somewhere warm enough that was not
in full sun and liable to dry out quickly.

Mine is still going. A small stem has dried up, but the larger stem is still
there, but has lost its central growing point. The leaves on mine have been
eaten quite a lot. I presume it must have been a slug, though I never saw
any. I am encouraged by the suggestion to let it die down over the winter.

Peter - Harrogate

Old 15-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Registered User

what do u mean nick ? its not visible to casual users, what isnt visible ?

sajid.
__________________
www.muslimgrower.com
Old 15-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajid View Post

you dont have to register to view pics at www.muslimgrower.com, you only have to register if you want to reply to a post ?
__________________
www.muslimgrower.com
Old 15-11-2007, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
sajid writes:

| | here is the link with pictures from start to finish
| | http://tinyurl.com/24s7vh
|
| They aren't visible to casual visitors. I am signed up to too many
| things to want to add more.
|
| what do u mean nick ? its not visible to casual users, what isnt
| visible ?

Click on the pictures, and it demands that I log in. i can read the
text without doing that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-11-2007, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sajid" wrote in message

Nick Maclaren;760044 Wrote:
In article ,
sajid
writes:

Congratulations!

I did, but failed dismally. It grew some weedy shoots, and I threw
it out. My problem was finding somewhere warm enough that was not
in full sun and liable to dry out quickly.

| here is the link with pictures from start to finish

http://tinyurl.com/24s7vh

They aren't visible to casual visitors. I am signed up to too many
things to want to add more.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

what do u mean nick ? its not visible to casual users, what isnt
visible ?

Like Nick I can read all the threads in the forum but if I try to look at
the photo (.jpg) it says I need to log in. I don't want to sign up to a
forum just to look at a photo.

Aside from that, I've had no problems growing turmeric and galangal (kra
chai), but ginger has so far defeated me.

someone

Old 16-11-2007, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"someone" wrote in message

Aside from that, I've had no problems growing turmeric and galangal (kra
chai), but ginger has so far defeated me.

someone

How did you grow them?

I've never seen seeds and the turmeric I buy is a powder, the galangal is
chips.

Mary