Old 15-11-2007, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Frost

A mild one here last night - just enough to whiten the grass. But the
Dahlias are still going!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-11-2007, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| A mild one here last night - just enough to whiten the grass. But the
| Dahlias are still going!

Hard enough to kill the leaves on my Brugmansia, here. I had forgotten
to bring it in, but am not terribly fond of it, anyway. It's only an
arborea.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-11-2007, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
A mild one here last night - just enough to whiten the grass. But the
Dahlias are still going!

--
Sacha

I 'nearly' didn't bother to put the car in the garage last night, but
remembered I had a Business Meeting early this morning so did put it away
:-))

6.15 when I left for the meeting, car snug in the garage, the rest, white
with frost.

When I returned at around 9.00 my neighbour was scraping the frost off her
car.

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

Old 15-11-2007, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Uncle Marvo
writes

Should I feel just a teensy bit guilty aboout environmental issues?

No but I would feel a bit edgy about someone nicking the car!!

Volvo's have the option, probably best left to the Swedes which can
automatically turn your car heater on at a given time so you can return
to it nice and warm
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 15-11-2007, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:12:01 +0000
Sacha wrote:

A mild one here last night - just enough to whiten the grass. But the
Dahlias are still going!

And in Normandy too. Just saw the news, Judith will be in the snow.

Meant to get colder still tonight, I've got a bunch of Lantanas and Osteos to
pot up and get under cover.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 15-11-2007, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 15, 12:20 pm, "Uncle Marvo"
Volvo's have the option, probably best left to the Swedes which can
automatically turn your car heater on at a given time so you can
return to it nice and warm

... so you can return to it with the battery nice and flat?

My BMW has this option but it's a seperate petrol driven engine...

I dare to say that I just use hot water from the tap and await the
usual replies about whether you should or shouldn't.
Old 15-11-2007, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"adder1969" wrote in message
On Nov 15, 12:20 pm, "Uncle Marvo"
Volvo's have the option, probably best left to the Swedes which can
automatically turn your car heater on at a given time so you can
return to it nice and warm

... so you can return to it with the battery nice and flat?

My BMW has this option but it's a seperate petrol driven engine...

I have a BMW and I have a windscreen boost on it. If I do get into the cold
frosted car, it doesn't take long to clear the screen with that on full
blast. I just didn't fancy sitting there at 6.00 this morning and I don't
think my neighbours would have appreciated it either!!

My 7.00 Morning Business meeting is now to be a regular event :-( so I MUST
remember to put the car to bed in the garage on a Wednesday Night!!!

Mike

Old 15-11-2007, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"adder1969" wrote in message
On Nov 15, 12:20 pm, "Uncle Marvo"
Volvo's have the option, probably best left to the Swedes which can
automatically turn your car heater on at a given time so you can
return to it nice and warm

... so you can return to it with the battery nice and flat?

My BMW has this option but it's a seperate petrol driven engine...

I dare to say that I just use hot water from the tap and await the
usual replies about whether you should or shouldn't.

I use barely warm water, and it works well - much quicker than a proper
spray or a scraper. The residue on the glass might freeze on a really cold
morning, but that hasn't happened in many years of using water. (I'd be
afraid that anything hotter than "barely warm" might crack the glass.)

Alan Jones.

Alan Jones

Old 16-11-2007, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Uncle Marvo
writes

... so you can return to it with the battery nice and flat?

No I believe there's a separate battery in the back especially for the
heater, think it's charged when the engine is running.

I guess it must be cold getting off a train at night in Sweden and
driving home!
Old 16-11-2007, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
adder1969 writes
On Nov 15, 12:20 pm, "Uncle Marvo"
Volvo's have the option, probably best left to the Swedes which can
automatically turn your car heater on at a given time so you can
return to it nice and warm

... so you can return to it with the battery nice and flat?

My BMW has this option but it's a seperate petrol driven engine...

I dare to say that I just use hot water from the tap and await the
usual replies about whether you should or shouldn't.

We have one of those nifty remote controlled electric sockets which you
can turn on and off from at least 60 feet away. We sue the remote to
turn on a heater where the plug is generally covered up by a bookcase
but we are also going to use ti in the greenhouse so I can turn on the
heater without going outside

last frost? Arwen Long North Carolina 1 06-03-2004 04:31 PM
Possible frost/freeze Saturday night/Sunday Morning Wayfarer Texas 8 28-03-2003 10:56 PM
American frost zones tim United Kingdom 21 23-02-2003 12:16 PM
USDA zones (frost zones) Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 5 22-02-2003 06:20 PM
When To Take Action Against Frost Protection? Fleemo Gardening 10 09-02-2003 08:01 AM