Old 15-11-2007, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mystery Plant

"green_light" wrote in message
Thats it. You got it. Thanks for that!

"The Shoo-fly Plant (Nicandra physaloides), also known as the Apple of
Peru, is an annual plant native to Peru. It is the only species in the
genus Nicandra. They are known for their property of repelling
insects.

Plants grow to 1 metre tall and are vigorous with spreading branches
and ovate, mid-green, toothed and waved leaves. The flowers are bell-
shaped and 5 cm or more across, they are pale violet with white
throats, and are produced from July to September.the flower will
become lantern like towards the end of its time, it is a hardy annual
that means it will last one season from seed to seed"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicandra_physaloides

Must have been distributed by birds.

Beware, it will distribute itself around your garden without the help of
birds if you let it.

Old 15-11-2007, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It's what is commonly termed as a shoo fly plant
NICANDRA PHYSALOIDES ‘Violacea’ Solanaceae

though I expect someone will beat me to this I think it's poisonous?
Very easy to germinate and grow so can turn up anywhere once it's
allowed to seed.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 16-11-2007, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
It's what is commonly termed as a shoo fly plant
NICANDRA PHYSALOIDES ‘Violacea’ Solanaceae

though I expect someone will beat me to this I think it's poisonous?
Very easy to germinate and grow so can turn up anywhere once it's
allowed to seed.

Sorry... This looks like I didn't read the other messages but I sent
this sometime before anyone else had posted a reply about the name, so I
have no idea where this previous email has been