GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mystery Plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/166927-mystery-plant.html)

green_light 15-11-2007 01:03 PM

Mystery Plant

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what this plant could be? It self seeded in my
border this year (northwest UK) but Ive been unable to find out it's
name or
preferred growing conditions etc.

http://www.cobwebcottage.com/index.p...nt&task=view&i...

Tried posting it to rec.gardens as it looked a bit exotic. No joy so
far, so I thought Id try UK.rec.gardens.

Thanks in advance.

Nick Maclaren 15-11-2007 01:10 PM

Mystery Plant

In article ,
green_light writes:

| Can anyone tell me what this plant could be? It self seeded in my
| border this year (northwest UK) but Ive been unable to find out it's
| name or preferred growing conditions etc.
|
| http://www.cobwebcottage.com/index.p...nt&task=view&i...
|
| Tried posting it to rec.gardens as it looked a bit exotic. No joy so
| far, so I thought Id try UK.rec.gardens.

Try posting a valid URL ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

green_light 15-11-2007 01:13 PM

Mystery Plant

sorry about that. stupid mistake. try this.

http://www.cobwebcottage.com/index.p...html&Itemid=19

Stewart Robert Hinsley 15-11-2007 01:23 PM

Mystery Plant

In message
,
green_light writes
Hello,

Can anyone tell me what this plant could be? It self seeded in my
border this year (northwest UK) but Ive been unable to find out it's
name or
preferred growing conditions etc.

http://www.cobwebcottage.com/index.p...nt&task=view&i...

Tried posting it to rec.gardens as it looked a bit exotic. No joy so
far, so I thought Id try UK.rec.gardens.

"You are not authorised to view this resource. You need to login"

Thanks in advance.

Stewart Robert Hinsley

Uncle Marvo 15-11-2007 01:25 PM

Mystery Plant

, I, Marvo,
say :

sorry about that. stupid mistake. try this.

http://www.cobwebcottage.com/index.p...html&Itemid=19

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article
,
green_light writes:

Can anyone tell me what this plant could be? It self seeded in my
border this year (northwest UK) but Ive been unable to find out
it's name or preferred growing conditions etc.

http://www.cobwebcottage.com/index.p...nt&task=view&i...

Tried posting it to rec.gardens as it looked a bit exotic. No joy
so far, so I thought Id try UK.rec.gardens.

I'm guessing a variety of Ipomoea.

Nick Maclaren 15-11-2007 01:26 PM

Mystery Plant

In article ,
green_light writes:
| sorry about that. stupid mistake. try this.
|
| http://www.cobwebcottage.com/index.p...html&Itemid=19

Urgent! Don't eat it! :-)

Your guess of Physalis is good - it is clearly one of the Solanaceae,
most of which are seriously poisonous. But, as to which, I am at a
loss.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 15-11-2007 01:26 PM

Mystery Plant

In message
,
green_light writes
Hello,

Can anyone tell me what this plant could be? It self seeded in my
border this year (northwest UK) but Ive been unable to find out it's
name or
preferred growing conditions etc.

http://www.cobwebcottage.com/index.p...nt&task=view&i...

But pulling the correct URL off rec.gardens ...

it's Nicandra physaloides - I'm surprised that rec.gardens didn't
recognise it.

Nick Maclaren 15-11-2007 01:31 PM

Mystery Plant

In article ,
"Uncle Marvo" writes:

| I'm guessing a variety of Ipomoea.

I am pretty sure that they are all climbers, and none have stems or
fruit like that. I would bet Datura or a relative.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

green_light 15-11-2007 01:33 PM

Mystery Plant

http://www.cobwebcottage.com/index.p...html&Itemid=19

try this.

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message
,

green_light 15-11-2007 01:34 PM

Mystery Plant

You know - it does look poisonous doesnt it? I thought that at the
time.

green_light 15-11-2007 01:39 PM

Mystery Plant

I know what you mean about the flowers looking morning gloryish but
these are much smaller, and this isnt an elegant climber. Its a fairly
stout plant standing easily without support but I have to say it does
look pretty good.

Uncle Marvo wrote:
, I, Marvo,
say :

sorry about that. stupid mistake. try this.

http://www.cobwebcottage.com/index.p...html&Itemid=19

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article
,

Uncle Marvo 15-11-2007 01:40 PM

Mystery Plant

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Uncle Marvo" writes:

| I'm guessing a variety of Ipomoea.

I am pretty sure that they are all climbers, and none have stems or
fruit like that. I would bet Datura or a relative.

Good point. I don't think it's a Datura, but then again I've never seen one
quite that colour. The stems look right though. That's the one you're not
supposed to go to sleep under, IIRC.

green_light 15-11-2007 01:55 PM

Mystery Plant

Thats it. You got it. Thanks for that!

"The Shoo-fly Plant (Nicandra physaloides), also known as the Apple of
Peru, is an annual plant native to Peru. It is the only species in the
genus Nicandra. They are known for their property of repelling
insects.

Plants grow to 1 metre tall and are vigorous with spreading branches
and ovate, mid-green, toothed and waved leaves. The flowers are bell-
shaped and 5 cm or more across, they are pale violet with white
throats, and are produced from July to September.the flower will
become lantern like towards the end of its time, it is a hardy annual
that means it will last one season from seed to seed"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicandra_physaloides

Must have been distributed by birds.

Des Higgins 15-11-2007 02:24 PM

Mystery Plant

On Nov 15, 1:26 pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message
,
green_light writes

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what this plant could be? It self seeded in my
border this year (northwest UK) but Ive been unable to find out it's
name or
preferred growing conditions etc.

http://www.cobwebcottage.com/index.p...nt&task=view&i...

But pulling the correct URL off rec.gardens ...

it's Nicandra physaloides - I'm surprised that rec.gardens didn't
recognise it.

Well spotted;
it is a nice looking plant;
I have never seen one before.

Des

Cerumen[_3_] 15-11-2007 04:17 PM

Mystery Plant

"green_light" wrote in message
Hello,

Can anyone tell me what this plant could be? It self seeded in my
border this year (northwest UK) but Ive been unable to find out it's
name or
preferred growing conditions etc.

http://www.cobwebcottage.com/index.p...nt&task=view&i...

Tried posting it to rec.gardens as it looked a bit exotic. No joy so
far, so I thought Id try UK.rec.gardens.

Thanks in advance.

It says I need to log in so can't help sorry.

--
Chris, Sugar Hill, Barbados
A little learning is a dangerous thing, but it still beats total ignorance.