Old 15-11-2007, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default pruning

Hi all
I need some advice as to when and how to prune the following-

lavender
hydrangea
buddleia
clematis
small bush rose
climbing rose

all produced lots of flowers this year. Do I need to feed now or next spring

TIA

Old 15-11-2007, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Charlie Pridham writes
In article ,
says...
Hi all
I need some advice as to when and how to prune the following-

lavender
hydrangea
buddleia
clematis
small bush rose
climbing rose

all produced lots of flowers this year. Do I need to feed now or next spring

TIA

Hydrangea - do nothing now, remove spent flowers back to a pair of buds
in spring.
Buddleja take a third off now and hard prune in spring.
Clematis - depends on which type, if in doubt wait until early march,
look closly at shoot tips and if you see flower buds leave it alone,
otherwise hard prune.
Bush rose remove around half
Climbing rose prune back to main frame work

Lavender - can prune now, but seeds attract goldfinches if you leave it
till spring to prune. Either way, don't cut back too hard (only as far
as you can still see green shoots) because it may not re-shoot. Lots of
people will now tell you they cut there's back to the ground with no
problem, but equally there's lots of people (eg my neighbour) who lost
all their lavender after a too-vigorous prune.
--
Kay
Old 15-11-2007, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message

Lavender - can prune now, but seeds attract goldfinches if you leave it
till spring to prune.

I wish we got goldfinches :-(

Either way, don't cut back too hard (only as far as you can still see
green shoots) because it may not re-shoot. Lots of people will now tell
you they cut there's back to the ground with no problem, but equally
there's lots of people (eg my neighbour) who lost all their lavender after
a too-vigorous prune.

As did I.

Don't risk it.

Mary

Old 15-11-2007, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"K" wrote in message

Lavender - can prune now, but seeds attract goldfinches if you leave it
till spring to prune.

I wish we got goldfinches :-(

Either way, don't cut back too hard (only as far as you can still see
green shoots) because it may not re-shoot. Lots of people will now tell
you they cut there's back to the ground with no problem, but equally
there's lots of people (eg my neighbour) who lost all their lavender
after a too-vigorous prune.

As did I.

Don't risk it.

Mary

Many thanks all. Just the right amount of advice i needed

eugene

Old 16-11-2007, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"DB01" wrote in message
Hi all
I need some advice as to when and how to prune the following-

lavender
hydrangea
buddleia
clematis
small bush rose
climbing rose

all produced lots of flowers this year. Do I need to feed now or next

spring

TIA

---------------------------------

Most people just chop off in autumn about a foot or less above ground.
This method is, however a wild and uncouth procedure.
They, - the plants, - all mostly, - anyway, have different requirements, so
the best and only procedure is to find the plant's name and then look it up
in a book. You have to consider what you want the plant to do , i.e have a
big wide spread , or climb high or whatever, then you know what you are
doing and can prune it to what you foresee, - (if you are lucky!).
I apologise for this poor answer, but so many other factors intervene when
you are trying to train climbing plants so just get "stuck-in", do your best
and , "enjoy", - no matter what!. That's true gardening! , - Good
luck!.
Doug Denny.
-----------------------------

Old 16-11-2007, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

doug wrote:
"DB01" wrote in message
[...]

Sensible advice. The only thing I would add is that once you have pruned
the plants, it would do no harm to take a cutting or two from the prunings -
just in case. They may not strike, but if they do, and you lose the original
plant, as least you have the makings of a new plant.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 16-11-2007, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
doug wrote:
"DB01" wrote in message
[...]

many thanx,
just one more thing-
when and what should I feed/mulch the plants

[IBC] Root Pruning, and Top Pruning Brent Walston Bonsai 4 01-07-2004 11:02 PM
Root Pruning, and Top Pruning Andrew G Bonsai 0 30-06-2004 01:05 PM
Pruning Artemisia Polar Gardening 2 01-04-2003 05:56 AM
pruning questions rosemarie face Gardening 6 04-02-2003 07:50 AM
Hibiscus pruning T.L.Miller Gardening 0 26-01-2003 01:54 PM