GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree dahlias and frost (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/166939-tree-dahlias-frost.html)

Dave Hill 15-11-2007 06:06 PM

Tree dahlias and frost

We have now had 2 nights of frost, one last week and another last
night.
The dahlias are black, except for the tree dahlias, see pics of this
years seedlings http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...07/15th%20Nov/

David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Sacha 15-11-2007 06:13 PM

Tree dahlias and frost

On 15/11/07 18:06, in article
, "Dave
Hill" wrote:

We have now had 2 nights of frost, one last week and another last
night.
The dahlias are black, except for the tree dahlias, see pics of this
years seedlings
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...202007/15th%20
Nov/

David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Amazing how these seems to keep going. 'Your' D. excelsa is flowering
happily.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Dave Hill 15-11-2007 09:01 PM

Tree dahlias and frost

Sacha wrote:
On 15/11/07 18:06, in article
, "Dave
Hill" wrote:

We have now had 2 nights of frost, one last week and another last
night.
The dahlias are black, except for the tree dahlias, see pics of this
years seedlings
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...202007/15th%20
Nov/

David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Amazing how these seems to keep going. 'Your' D. excelsa is flowering
happily.
--
Sacha

My best so far is the last flower going over 3 days before Xmas 3
years ago, I want a dahlia in flower for Xmas day outside.
Who knows we may get it this year with luck, there are enough buds to
go on for a few weeks.
David Hill

Bob Hobden 15-11-2007 09:55 PM

Tree dahlias and frost

"Dave Hill" wrote
We have now had 2 nights of frost, one last week and another last
night.
The dahlias are black, except for the tree dahlias, see pics of this
years seedlings
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...07/15th%20Nov/

My experience with the one I got from Sacha and Ray was that it went black
at the mention of frost, most annoying when it was up to the bedroom windows
and just about to open it's buds.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Sacha 15-11-2007 10:43 PM

Tree dahlias and frost

On 15/11/07 21:55, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote
We have now had 2 nights of frost, one last week and another last
night.
The dahlias are black, except for the tree dahlias, see pics of this
years seedlings
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...%202007/15th%2
0Nov/

My experience with the one I got from Sacha and Ray was that it went black
at the mention of frost, most annoying when it was up to the bedroom windows
and just about to open it's buds.

That's the D. imperialis. It's just not as good a plant from that pov as
the D.excelsa. It's a true tree Dahlia, granted but it's not a patch on D.
excelsa for flowering and toughness. In poor weather i.e. wet summers with
little sun, it might grow like a weed but try to get it to flower.......